The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

44 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Chrisf,  the holiday sounds good.  Don't just do the Soller line, the other lines are well worth it and the stations are adjacent.

Jamie

Let.s see what the brochure says.  Day 1: get there.  Day 2: train from Palma to Manacor and back, with time to explore.  Day 3: Palma to Soller by train, Soller to Soller Port by tram.  Day 4: Palma to Inca and Sa Pobla.  Day 5: coach tour.  Day 6: go home.  I know virtually nothing of the island and its trains but that could change!

Chris 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Clear Prop!

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

The SAP consultants at Barrow charged £1000 per day. In the end I had to explain to some of them how bits of it "worked"...

It's been said many times before that that is a very appropriate name .....

Being a huge concern they must have many divisions and from what I've heard these could be named something along these lines;

SAP The Will to Live,  SAP The Finances, SAP The Patience, SAP The Sanity .........

48 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Let.s see what the brochure says.  Day 1: get there.  Day 2: train from Palma to Manacor and back, with time to explore.  Day 3: Palma to Soller by train, Soller to Soller Port by tram.  Day 4: Palma to Inca and Sa Pobla.  Day 5: coach tour.  Day 6: go home.  I know virtually nothing of the island and its trains but that could change!

I thought the name struck a chord.      We had a layout based on Soller at the last (well, the most recent to date) CMRA exhibition at Stevenage.   

I'd better change the subject quickly for fear of being clamped in irons for mentioning something that must not be mentioned!

https://www.cmra.org.uk/exhib20/84.html

In Other News:

Not a lot to report today, the main concern is that my early warning systems has just been triggered and I'm preparing the defences for an inbound Bear attack.     Where's the LDC canon gone?

Make the best of your day that you can.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Chris 

Chris,

If you go to Inca make sure you go on market day as it's worth a look.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is cooler than yesterday and rather overcast but I have been assured it won’t rain so I can get in with a bit more woodwork for the shed fascia. I think I know why the original rotted so well. It appears to,be made from lengths of ship lap with the thin bit at the top. The planks were reversed. The gap between the wood and the roof retained water and rotted. My replacement should be better. 

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

Chris,

If you go to Inca make sure you go on market day as it's worth a look.

Dave

For once I think the travel company have thought of that!  The group is due to go there on the Thursday, which thr brochure says is market day.

Chris 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

Chris 

That looks to cover the whole network. ENJOY.

JAMIE

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

There is a slight precipitation here. Not enough to make me go in. The bits of fascia are inside the summerhouse after applying preservative stain. The rain is coming from the trailing edge of a very dark cloud. Should be fine soon. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

I booked a holiday yesterday.  Unless anything else goes wrong I will be spending just under a week on Mallorca in April.  There is an electric narrow gauge railway for me to explore as well as the tourist-y stuff.  Simply booking a holiday and paying the deposit should not have taken me over two hours though.  I reckoned without the rather inappropriately named Co-operative Bank.  Using one of their cretin cards to pay the deposit was much, much more of a rigmarole than I could possibly have imagined.  They wanted a pass code for this and that and the process of obtaining it made the Spanish Inquisition feel like a cosy chat over a cuppa.  I suspect that the process has doubled my phone bill.  On top of that the travel company’s webshite allowed me to enter my particulars and then kicked me out three times.  Somewhere in the midst of all that I sent an e-mail to the travel company requesting help.  Eventually the booking was made, and the deposit taken, over the phone.  When I was reading the confirmation I found that the flight will now go from Stansted instead of Gatwick.  Another e-mail to the travel company revealed that this was a mistake! What next, I wonder?

Best wishes to all

Chris   

Your not actually going to fly. Due to carbon tax and other 'green' iniatives  you will be going by bus to the south coast where you will be transfered to a Roman galley and 'requested' (whipped?/ urged??) to row there.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

' morning afternoon all from red dragon land.

Cloudy but free of the wet stuff which is good as it is click n collect this afternoon.

Toot on the flute and lullaby Thula Baba played from memory :yahoo_mini: but only once through. <sigh> It fell to bits the second time round! But hey! Plenty of time to go yet.

Can I slip in a little touching up on the VW bus figures before lunch?  I will let you know!

Take care all and play safe.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

It is cooler than yesterday and rather overcast but I have been assured it won’t rain so I can get in with a bit more woodwork for the shed fascia. I think I know why the original rotted so well. It appears to,be made from lengths of ship lap with the thin bit at the top. The planks were reversed. The gap between the wood and the roof retained water and rotted. My replacement should be better. 

Rarely last words. Not to be said within earshot of SWIMBO.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Lovely sunshine here in the North West highlands of Manucopia. 

I have though had to replace the shorts though with long trousers as of out to do some gardening in the blistering heat.

Wish me luck as I may be out there some time.

Ian

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Your not actually going to fly. Due to carbon tax and other 'green' initiatives  you will be going by bus to the south coast where you will be transferred to a Roman galley and 'requested' (whipped?/ urged??) to row there.

I know one or two (NOT ER's) who would pay good money for that, especially if the slave drivers were voluptuous females.:girldevil::girldevil:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Cool 14C, windy 30mph Northerly, grey, occasional showers.. just what you want for traipsing round town.

GY have taken all the benches away too, nowhere to sit so, sore aft paw time. A new market building is being built in the marketplace.

Cheap break off knives have disappeared from everywhere, so I've ordered alloy bodied holders and packs of blades from online. 

Certain hobby related books were also conspicuous by their absence. 

So for me what was bought? A bulk pack of pencils to leave all over the place, A couple of books,  one on Orford Ness, and one on Broads ghost stories and a pork pie which has been consumed for lunch.

Ben did well, as we found a good supply of his favourite treats at a good price. He's now asleep next to me on the sofa, as we have returned from a wind swept walk, fields occupied by huge amounts of grounded seagulls.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Right, train to Derby beckons......

The only visits I have ever made to Derby have been at the station to change trains.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1