The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Watched 'Secrets of the London Underground' earlier. The subject was the deep underground air raid shelters built under Clapham Common tube station. The shelters were built to the same dimensions and alignment as the tube station directly above it. I couldn't help thinking that you could get a pretty big layout in there.

Darn it, forgot again.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Evening All,

Had the gang around for the day and the weather was quite pleasant which made a change. 

I had a hospital appointment at 5:15 to see a podiatrist which went ok. Just getting old.

Mil is going into hospital at the end of next week so is having to self isolate from Wednesday so we’ve decided to take her out for the day tomorrow.

Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, chrisf said:

The blink-and-you-miss-it scene where Guido and Colin kissed on the lips caused an almighty furore back in the day.

In that case, imagine what it did in  blokey Australia  back in 1972!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jul/15/number-96-to-the-box-when-it-comes-to-sexuality-australian-tv-showed-it-all-well-before-anywhere-else

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Last evening an episode of EastEnders from 1989 was shown on BBC4.  The blink-and-you-miss-it scene where Guido and Colin kissed on the lips caused an almighty furore back in the day.  It was not the first instance of boundaries being pushed and broken in a TV soap and it will not be the last.  It must have taken courage to include that scene but it was absolutely the right decision in my book.  The representation of real life in drama has to start somewhere and be as complete as possible.  Long may boundaries be pushed where the need is identified.

Bear doesn't recall the incident in question (it was over 30 years ago, in my defence) but Eastenders stopped appearing in Bear Towers probably 20+ years ago; every episode seemed to be filled with squabbling, fighting, murdering and by the end of the 30 minutes of complete cr@p left you feeling like slashing your wrists would be better entertainment.  So off it went.  I have seen odd moments since then - including in recent weeks - where the Gogglebox just happened to be on that channel after watching (or waiting) for something else; I've rapidly come to the conclusion that its' 20+ years worse than it was back then....

edit:  In fairness it probably rates as a 5 star watch when compared to complete, total and utter b011ox such as this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58306258

Has Bear ever seen it?  No, never, not on your Nellie.  I'd rather be given a lifetime Cake ban.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Slept like a log. No more jaw ache this morning.  

Lots to do today. We have a visitor staying while the Test Match is on this week so cleaning and tidying mustvbe done before a zoom meeting later.

@Debs. is a tad busy with things at the moment... possibly sharpening more awls for use with her multiple shot awl flinging device... but, then again, she may be like other ERs who are lurking, not posting.

Have a good day everyone (or evening or night for those not in the GMT zone).

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@Debs is a tad busy with things at the moment... possibly sharpening more awls forbuse with her multiple shot awl flinging device... but, then again, she may be like other ERs who are lurking, not posting.

Hmm....covert surveillance.  Worrying....

In other news:

Whilst we managed perfectly well at keeping armed-to-the-teeth Nazi's out for five years in WW2 (some 80 years ago now), it seems that even with all our modern technology we are incapable of keeping Asylum Seekers, sorry, Illegal Immigrants out:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58312630

Is that a Rant?

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I can honestly say that I have never watched East Enders. I had already given up watching Coronation Street before it (East Enders) started. Apart from the news/weather I watch very little TV, less than an hour or two each week. Not so much of the stiff joints this morning and they soon eased up when I moved and when I get into the bath shortly should ease the joints even more. Will be running that bath when I've caught up with the rest of RMweb.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14

Good morning all,

Interesting comments being made about eating out in the UK as of late. Without getting too overly political (or contentious) I think what you are seeing is not so much a consequence of the pandemic, but rather the consequence of a business model that often relied on cheap and cheerful labour (and in the hospitality sector labour was mostly provided by non-British individuals), a high throughput of diners and - dare I say it - a frequently less than discerning clientele with the cost of eating a meal out often being the overriding and deciding factor. For such a business model low staff wages and very low cost ingredients were the only way to make money. For various reasons (discussion of which could certainly stray into the “political“) low-cost hospitality staff and low-cost ingredients I think will become very much a thing of the past. And people will now start to have to pay the real cost of eating out.

Poly Bear is, methinks, treading on thin (political) ice, but as we are skating around the topic (no pun intended), I’ve always wondered why any country cannot greet economic refugees with a simple proposal: “as you want to come to our country to better yourself, we propose giving you a loan, that must be paid back, to help you get back on your feet and once you sign on the dotted line you will be required to work for the local authority - working for the community where you will be placed. A proportion of monies earned going to repay the loan. At the end of a specified period of time, and once the loan has been paid back and once you have learnt our language, customs and laws, you will be eligible for citizenship“ Of course for such a scheme to work you would need both political and public will, as well as an ID card system to make sure any refugee doesn’t disappear into the unregulated and impenetrable underground.

And continuing on the theme of (almost) forbidden subjects, It has slowly dawned on me that, despite the time afforded by the pandemic restrictions, I haven’t done any r*****y m*******g for over two years now.

Any suggestions for restarting the r*****y m*******g Mojo?

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

@iL Dottore IIRC you started an 'Underground' cameo - how about watching the 'Secrets of the UndergrounD' TV prog on catch-up and.....finishing it?  It had a rather special feel to it, the work you had done was rather good and inspirational.  Not sure why I find the Underground so interesting, but it fascinates me.  I'd love to go on one of those trips around the secret parts (ie unused/abandoned), even better if it was with Siddy Holloway....:tender::wub:

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Morning one and all, and to those who need them, thoughts and best wishes to you.

Restaurants.......Interesting to hear other view points post pandemic.....Well We've eaten out numerous times since, well since we could.

Local pub, chef not back yet but great meals for a fiver and quite a bit of variety. You can eat inside, outside, but not in the land ladies chamber.

Last few weeks we have had Indian, Japanese, Nepalese and Thai. No problems what so ever with the food, staff, or service.

Numerous cups of coffee, ice creams and breakfasts as we are trying to do our bit to keep the local businesses going, which includes the rather splendid choo choo shop in the Muff.

No requirement to cut any slack because everyone is doing their very best and beyond here, tho doubt we could find fault if we really looked hard enough. 

Well no, probably not, because everyone has seemed to be going above and beyond.

Eateries and staff here seem just glad to see you.

Some of the local tourist hotspots are busy, nay very busy so we are keeping away for now, mainly because it's impossible to park, even on the bike!

Come to Devon or Cornwall, people do seem to be genuinely doing their very best.

No complaints here Sarnt Major.

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2