The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Managed to watch the local weather news about an hour ago, about 10% chance of rain. Seeing as the garden railway is gauge 3 running battery powered and live steam locomotives there shouldn't be any problems. Though if it is persisting down the shed might get a bit crowded :jester:.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Here, let me pass you your glasses..  :lol:

would that be Bi focals?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

BIN day...

Yesterday, two events;

1) They are re-laying the gas lines for the neighborhood - a right mess that's going to be, so many trucks and JCBs all in one place, together with loads of bods in hi-viz wandering around marking all kinds of things with spray paint and digging up all over! Expected to continue for at least a week best I can tell by the rate of progress!

2) Had a happy-hour with a few of my choir friends - the establishment we usually/used to frequent, first time in over 18 months. Followed by a rehearsal for todays memorial service.

It turns out that with the rise of COVID again, we're NOT restarting choir as soon as expected. We will only start in late September/early October and will be limited to the schola ONLY, singing at select services until the dreaded COVID shows significant signs of going away.

That ALSO meant the 75th Anniversary celebration scheduled for September has also been postponed out of an abundance of caution :(

Today, leaving soon, for the memorial service for our friend and choir member Mary.

Later today, fortunately in spite of the spike in COVID carp, we are having a choir happy-hour for all choir members. This was planned weeks ago, and since this is outside on the grounds, it's been "allowed" to continue.

20 and sunny first thing, air quality deteriorating. High of 32 expected.

Tally ho.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Good Afternoon from a wet West Yorkshire 

Set off fine this morning checked the met office forecasts it said dry all Day. I know I will paint part of the decking got it done Then guess what 

A) the colour looks nowt like it says on tin and its cuprinol 

B) its persisting it down now

The BBC have destroyed regional programming on both TV and Radio allegedly to save money. 

I can tell em how to save money 

A sack the overpaid talentless Linekar and other likewise individuals

B plough the billions made by BBC worldwide back into programming then there would be no need for the telly tax

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Got home, tried to get Amazon.. no wouldn't work  the way they said on line, go back online read the way for a much later box.. yep that worked :imsohappy:no need to update box, the info says it did it itself a couple of days ago. Many brownie points scored....

And for an encore, 

Found a suitable app for speed and time, (sailfreegps) for the tablet computer.

Tried that and that worked as well:imsohappy::imsohappy:

There aren't that many apps with speed and real time , most have speed and time elapsed. Or a count down timer.

A curry has been eaten, I think a eyelid inspection is required in celebration...

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Had the afternoon trout fishing on my local stream, got a lovely wild Brown Trout, but as I caught it not far down stream from the outfall from the water treatment works(old fashioned sewage farm) I decided I wasn't that hungry and returned to the river to swim another day.

DSC02866.JPG

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 6

Good Evening Awl, for anything could happen to make it so!

Having been informed of an appointment for a check-up followed by a covid test 3 days later, my suspicions were aroused. Today, I received three letters, two confirming the aforementioned whilst the third invited me to the Day Surgery Unit on a particular afternoon, presumably for an operation I am expecting. However, there is no indication of for how long the latter will affect me and, if it is the operation which I am expecting, I want it under general anaesthetic, not local! 'Phone calls will be made tomorrow. My circumstances dictate that I will need post anaesthesia care which I am unable to provide at home! Meanwhile, this is planned for the Tuesday after which I return from two weeks' leave and for which I already have a morning appointment with another hospital department (curiously, under a different hospital trust!)! Interesting times!

However, in the words of the song, "La vie continue malgré tout"!

Elsewhere:

13 hours ago, chrisf said:

My suspicious nature kicked in and I marked it as Spam.

Others hereon may advise differently but, as your previous signature used to wisely proclaim: "An expert is someone who disagrees with other Experts!"

I believe you can do much more than simply marking it as spam. My own take is to select the message then hold the SHIFT key down whilst I press the DELETE key. This, as I understand it, bypasses the Deleted folder, the Spam folder and just obliterates the message as best your operating system can whilst rendering it irretrievable.

The same trick also works in (I'm guessing you're tarred with windoze) in Explorer and will remove a file permanently without troubling your recycle bin (waste bin?).

I can never understand why people want to colour perfectly good-looking timber!

6 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

This is the colour it has come out

It originally looked cream its only had one coat20210819_194318.jpg.5b7081d6b37c74efe0f2ac065b1e117b.jpg

At my last house, three similar properties on the estate were of similar design to mine. All had a flat roof at the front supported by Sapele timber posts. One house stained them green. Another clad them in uPVC. For the 42 years my father and I were owners of the house, we coated ours in yacht varnish! This brought out the natural colour of the wood whilst giving protection. If we asked a decorator to quote for a repaint of the house and they mentioned staining the posts, forget it, you ain't got the job!

I shudder (but no longer care) what the new owners of the house have done with said posts or the staircase which was also varnished Sapele.

Often, woods have their own characteristics which are worth accentuating rather than hiding!

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Had the afternoon trout fishing on my local stream, got a lovely wild Brown Trout, but as I caught it not far down stream from the outfall from the water treatment works(old fashioned sewage farm) I decided I wasn't that hungry and returned to the river to swim another day.

DSC02866.JPG

I once read a study that was done in Czech republic i think regarding trout caught near sewage p plants and the effect of meth amphetamine levels in the water nearby. The meth passed in users urine was not removed by the water treatment process. The trout preferred to swim in water contaminated by meth over fresh water. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Chuckinitdarn here!

In a moment of clear thinking i have organised a company to fit a concrete panel garden fence on our side of the line between our neighbours and ourselves. The last straw was when he fitted some land drain pipe running into our garden. Not any more pal! So he should get a nice flooded area at the end of his land drain.. 

Yorkshire water replaced his stop tap and have fitted a new cover. Tarmac to be fitted tomorrow apparently. (I do wonder how he explained the damage to them. He wants to turn the water off to remove the water meter..he can do anything..or so he thinks.

Baz

He sounds like a complete and utter  fu£#wit

• Agree 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a very enjoyable evening playing trains setting the world to rights, drinking tea and eating cake and biscuits. The playing of trains being left to the younger contingent, my friends young son and another young man of similar age. It was getting quite dark when we left but the rain held off until I was less than half a mile from home. I forgot about using my smart phone camera but never mind as no doubt the opportunity will arise before long.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

He sounds like a complete and utter  fu£#wit

I wonder how long it will be before he starts putting in a basement swimming pool and home theatre which seems to be the “thing” in some of the pricier parts of London. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3