The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Dullish at the moment but that should brighten up about 11 when we are due to meet one of our Daughters and Husband for coffee at Stanstead House Garden Centre, it may involve a slice of Apple Pie, or cake from my side But always a good natter and put the World to rights. 

Time to get a shifty on, and it appears I missed yesterday on here as I was in a hurry to drive to Swindon, and the accros to Thatcham early morning so I hope I haven't missed any major event.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, mizzle cleared but it is very damp out, 13c earlier up to 16 now.  Not a great forecast for the next few days either, bike and kayak plans look to be scuppered.  Back to that brass loco kit  then!

Also have the joys of the 'sh!t kit' this week, eeuuw :bo_mini:  We still have the three flaps type, I have heard there are other versions now.

Best wishes for your call Chris, the status quo sounds like a good outcome to hope for.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all from a Sidcup which is grey and still fairly cool. I was in the middle of a strange dream when I woke; what was happening seemed fairly reasonable to me at the time but the details have faded more quickly than the morning mist in the sun. It's pretty rare for me to wake at the dreaming part of the sleep cycle so I almost never recall having them.

I hope that Chris' letter from the oncologist does not raise too many alarms. It's often said that far more men die with prostate cancer than of it. From here, that sounds comforting, but then again I don't have it. 

I am glad to read that Jamie is not suffering, apart from the frustration of isolation

A work colleague yesterday seemed determined to fill my calendar with meetings on a certain topic, with little or no break between them. Eventually his boss pointed out that she had so many meetings that she didn't have time to do the work required for them. At which point the meeting, which we agreed should be immediately canned so we had an hour before the next, went on for another 20 minutes!

Anyway more of the same beckons. Have a good day al

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was noisy this morning but as usual moving around keeps him quiet. A big annoyance is that the BBC has dropped the local news/weather from the breakfast show. The national weather news is too general to give the information needed and if you blink you can miss the crucial bit of information. I need to keep an eye on the weather as there is a garden layout open this evening but there is also the possibility of rain so a more detailed weather forecast is essential.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Cloudy but dry (I think) here in North Somerset. Radar suggests there maybe patchy drizzle in the vicinity but I'm too lazy to bother looking outside that closely. Swmbo is on her hols, so I have the place to myself, which imparts a kind of freedom that takes me by surprise. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Someone found the lab power switch then?

Engineering is on a different supply to the Lab... Unfortunately, I could do with a snooze in a corner..

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was noisy this morning but as usual moving around keeps him quiet. A big annoyance is that the BBC has dropped the local news/weather from the breakfast show. The national weather news is too general to give the information needed and if you blink you can miss the crucial bit of information. I need to keep an eye on the weather as there is a garden layout open this evening but there is also the possibility of rain so a more detailed weather forecast is essential.

As with Jonny777 I check the weather radar if it's important.. You can see the rain coming..

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, PupCam said:

Andy, oh no!

That's another Google "Rabbit Hole of Interesting Stuff" to burrow down!    I just love expanding my knowledge of all sorts of "technical" stuff so looks like engineering (across many disciplines) was the right career choice for me after all, all those years ago.  Shame there wasn't a huge amount of money in it too but at least I don't actually have to go to work now :yahoo:

http://www.hvtesla.com/masters/syncro_power_station_lit.html  

That site has been invaluable in setting up the master clock - they are fickle......

I actually have two clocks - one bought some time ago (just before lockdown 1) from ebay. The lying scrote seller stated that it had been in use until recently and I took him at his word, it being collected on my behalf by a family friend who lived close by. Lockdown happened so I didn't get to see it in the flesh until well after ebay's returns period. Anyway, long and short of it is that the clock could never have run as the suspension hanger was all but 'torn' through - in any case it looked as though it had been bodged anyway, along with many other aspects of the mechanism. I'm now on the lookout for some spring steel to make a new one - also the pendulum rod needs attention as well - the phrase 'caveat emptor' comes to mind. This one will be a long burning project methinks as I have many other things to do, also it is more than tinged with bitterness due to the lies told by the seller......

In other news, the usual South Derbyshire grey is lightening a bit and hopefully we'll see some sunshine soon. Best get some WFH done, though there is a distinctly CBA mood around - maybe I will go and 'marvel' at mi summershed clock :)

Hope today is a good day for all - back later.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull start to the day here in England’s northwest. I have just taken delivery of a few items from a well known shop in Widnes, so I will be checking the contents very soon. Later on this morning I have a visit from an independent financial advisor with regard to my first company pension that I can now claim. Then this afternoon Charlie will be calling for his regular modelling tuition. It’s all go here isn’t it?

Chrisf, I hope all goes well with your conversation with the oncologist. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I actually have two clocks - one bought some time ago (just before lockdown 1) from ebay. The lying scrote seller stated that it had been in use until recently and I took him at his word, it being collected on my behalf by a family friend who lived close by. Lockdown happened so I didn't get to see it in the flesh until well after ebay's returns period. Anyway, long and short of it is that the clock could never have run as the suspension hanger was all but 'torn' through - in any case it looked as though it had been bodged anyway, along with many other aspects of the mechanism. I'm now on the lookout for some spring steel to make a new one - also the pendulum rod needs attention as well - the phrase 'caveat emptor' comes to mind. This one will be a long burning project methinks as I have many other things to do, also it is more than tinged with bitterness due to the lies told by the seller......

You do have his address though.....:devil:

:biggrin_mini2:

• Agree 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, PupCam said:

d go straight for the jigsaw and, as suggested, being mindful of which side to cut from so that any splintering is on the unseen side.    I wouldn't be messing with routers etc to get a superb finish - it's a Summer House not a bit of Chippendale furniture and the wood will be of sub-optimal quality  anyway.

I have just ordered some jigsaw blades. None of the ones I have were really appropriate for a curved fine cut. I did suggest that it would look ok with plain fascia but Aditi did a “sad face”. I hope no one suggest the kind of intricate  fascia seen on Austrian chalets. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I purchased a model railway item, a laser cut kit through E-bay. Its quite a complex kit but it arrived without any instructions. I queried the lack of instructions and the vendor sent them electronically through the e-bay message system. I tried to print off a hard copy of the instructions but I was unable to do so. The reason being that as soon as he sent them he blocked me for no other reason than for asking for the instructions.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

I purchased a model railway item, a laser cut kit through E-bay. Its quite a complex kit but it arrived without any instructions. I queried the lack of instructions and the vendor sent them electronically through the e-bay message system. I tried to print off a hard copy of the instructions but I was unable to do so. The reason being that as soon as he sent them he blocked me for no other reason than for asking for the instructions.

Would that be a Trader for a new kit or a s/h one-off item?  If the former (and he has more for sale) then perhaps pm me a link and I'll ask for a copy....?:wink_mini:

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Would that be a Trader for a new kit or a s/h one-off item?  If the former (and he has more for sale) then perhaps pm me a link and I'll ask for a copy....?:wink_mini:

Its a new kit and when I went to make the link I found that I was able to contact the vendor which I have.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

Afternoon one and all....... apologies for not having been on for some time, no excuses really, sometimes you just lose your mojo.

Ratty's back.....:yahoo:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

...snip... I had to put the loss of all those modelling tokens down to experience, it was good that my mate took the airframe off of me - I couldn't expect him to pay for it as well! :lol:

Alan

Img_6482.jpg

Looks like a perfectly good biplane to me. ;)

• Like 3
  • Funny 6