The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

I'm surprised to be first this morning - Don must be on holiday. Come to think of it, I think he did mention something about a day off.

It is another pretty cold morning here. Down to freezing with frost - but at least the traffic was light today. I suppose people are gradually winding down for Christmas.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

Jeez, it's cold this morning. No doubt Don will be sunning himself and enjoying a brandy...

Paid out a kings ransom yesterday for two new tyres, but at least they lasted 30,000 miles. May not sound too great to some, but double the distance of the Volvo estate, so I'm ahead of the game.

I'd settle for an Aston Martin DBS after the lottery win...

Morning all. Possible full set of oktas here but I'm not entirely sure as it's still pitch dark.

Spent last night writing Christmas cards. Haven't written any for colleagues yet as I'm not sure if we're giving cards this year, or clubbing together to sponsor someone to dig a well in a donkey in Africa. Or something. If we're not giving cards at work, I'm nearly finished writing them! :)

Morning all,

Late delivery this morning so I can see just how bad the frost is!

-3C and falling, light, frosty oktas in full atendance.

Must go and chisel the frost off of the van (VW Transporter, long wheel base, since you're comparing transport this morning! - My other car's a Golf GTi; as you said, Mike B, needs a lottery win to run it!)

I would love a T5 or an 850R but the lottery win would be required to run one.

T5? Got it in one Mick and you are very close to the truth on running costs. Probably the most expensive car I have had in terms of servicing/repairs/tyres....

Despite rumours, I'm not a boy racer anymore, but that car managed to eat tyres at an alarming rate.

Cars are well iced up this morning. Carol said it was -7 overnight in South Farnborough. I reckon that must have been in Kent, rather than Hampshire, so that must have been real brass monkey weather.

Morning!

Nothing new yet on this front. Temps hovering around -1?°, though. Note to self - keep rabbits away from telephone cords in the future! :blink::lol: Thankfully I had a spare one in my stash.

Later :) .

Beware the rabbits, i brought mine in for a warm last night while i changed their bedding and the cheeky boys had got onto the sofa and were sprawled right across my seat on the sofa

I have been evicted :(

Minus 1 in Kettering and Snow is on the way the latest shows!!!!!!!

I would love a T5 or an 850R but the lottery win would be required to run one.

I presume you mean Volvo rather than VW?

A colleague of mine has a VW T3 and that's quite cheap to run. Just costs an absolute fortune in road tax.

Most expensive car I had from a tyre point of view was my Impreza - it was the best car I have ever owned, but reckoned with a new set of tyres on the front every 20-25k. It wore the back ones out quicker too being 4WD - but they lasted longer than the fronts!

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning.

Rather chilly here this morning. Lots of recycling bags have been put out and the car windscreen has been scraped. I've just had a call from the Sky-TV repairman to say he will be here between 1pm and 4pm so I can go out with the dog later this morning.

Our Volvo (340 GLE) didn't eat tyres but otherwise was very expensive to run. The Renault's don't wear out tyres and are otherwise quite economical. I don't know what I'd replace our cars with. I don't like the new Scenic but whatever we have has to be capable of coping with a wet spaniel and probably Matthew's stuff if he spends a few years away at university. Matthew won't be driving himself for a few years yet and none of the universities he has applied to are particularly local (except for SOAS)so I can see a few years of still requiring a car with boot space. My friend was going to collect his daughter at the end of her university course when she asked him if her freezer would fit in the back of their VW Golf. He hired a van for the weekend eventually.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Distinctly Brrr this morning. I'm not good with cold weather but I have to seek provisions for this evenings soire so there's nothing for it. Wimp that I am I like the warm. Seems I've drawn the duty for getting the house in order today and I think I'll have to bring the trainset in from the freezing garage as well. Gotta be better than working though. :)

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

Nothing new yet on this front. Temps hovering around -1?°, though. Note to self - keep rabbits away from telephone cords in the future! :blink::lol: Thankfully I had a spare one in my stash.

Later :) .

We used to let Matthew's pet hamsters have a run about but only in a room without cables (or dog). They were quite useful as the long haired hamster seemed to collect lots of fluff as she ran round the skirting board. Matthew's rats were were far too nervous to run about and always hid if let out for a run. They usually ran behind his computer so I was concerned about cables being nibbled.

We used to let Matthew's pet hamsters have a run about but only in a room without cables (or dog). They were quite useful as the long haired hamster seemed to collect lots of fluff as she ran round the skirting board. Matthew's rats were were far too nervous to run about and always hid if let out for a run. They usually ran behind his computer so I was concerned about cables being nibbled.

We used to have chipmunks which we let loose in a sealed room. They used to love climbing up the curtains, scampering along the curtain rail and down the other side. All was going well until one disappeared up the gas fire one time. Ended up with her tail caught around a part near the pilot light. We very quickly built a wood and mesh fireguard to keep them out in the future!

• RMweb Gold

We saw quite a few chipmunks running around the woods during our trip to the US this year. Our friends were fascinated to find out that chipmunks are exotic pets in the UK.

We also saw one running around the motorcycle exhibition at the Shelburne Museum in Vermont. Apparently it was attracted to the staff's lunches rather than the motorcycles. I did try to take a photo of the chipmunk but it was too quick!

We saw quite a few chipmunks running around the woods during our trip to the US this year. Our friends were fascinated to find out that chipmunks are exotic pets in the UK.

We also saw one running around the motorcycle exhibition at the Shelburne Museum in Vermont. Apparently it was attracted to the staff's lunches rather than the motorcycles. I did try to take a photo of the chipmunk but it was too quick!

A model railroad shop (now closed) in New Westminster near here used to have a squirrel which visited. The staff kept a bowl of peanuts in the shell on the counter. The squirrel would come in through the open door and wait on the floor at the counter until it was noticed - I never saw it climb up. Someone would then throw it a peanut and off it would go. In the fall, when it was stocking up for the winter, it would come in every few minutes.

• RMweb Premium

Morning!

-3.2?° outside, but I have yet to look whether there has been any additional snow. I hope I'll be getting my camera back soon as I do want to snap one of them MRCE 185s working regional services between W??rzburg and Frankfurt these days! Which looks like this: Click.

Later ;) .