The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I took my kids on a stadium and museum tour at Old Trafford a couple of years ago. I was even interested though I dont like football it was a birthday treat for the eldest and we did it as a surprise for him. The stadium is huge.

The planters I ordered arrived earlier this afternoon via Dpd. The original delivery date was tomorrow but i got an email earlier this morning saying delivery would be this afternoon a bonus i suppose just need some compost to arrive now next week 

• Like 17

Broken night's sleep, late rising and when I took my morning walk a bit late, I came home quite drenched as a consequence of the warmth. The wildfire smoke pall is less obvious - there's a slight impression of blue in the haze. At least the air quality is "good". Last night's (almost) first quarter moon was still a bright orange colour.

Temperature is headed to 34°C. Many things in the garden need to be tended, but I'm not going to deal with them until it is less hot and will remain cooped up in air conditioning.

Am looking forward to the forecast break in the heat and smoke tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

IMG_3981a.jpeg.c6ac966a4f78af266f29d9116091924f.jpeg

Remember this? Not a bee / wasp / hornet.

Family member told me it was a giant horsefly.

https://naturenet.net/blogs/2009/06/07/check-out-this-massive-fly/

It would appear from the article that this may well be the female in which case I am lucky not to have been a target for a nice juicy meal!  It was on the window frame for quite some time. I wondered whether it was recovering from a long flight from somewhere, having had a swarm of flies drop onto the deck of our (former) yacht for a rest when crossing the Irish Sea and fly off again a little while later.

• Informative/Useful 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

9 minutes ago, southern42 said:

I should have thought of that. It certainly has the head of a fly.

Plenty of similar beasties in Australia.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I certainly do.  But this was for patrolmen (always men at that time) driving vans or cars.  If they failed to salute the badge you could claim an apology.  There was also a note in the Member's Handbook which stated that solo riders do not salute at any time.  

The tradition of AA patrolmen saluting the badge stopped about the time that cars and vans were replacing motorcycles and sidecars. See the official AA website - the section titled “Police speed traps and the AA salute” :

https://www.theaa.com/about-us/aa-history/timeline

“Following criticism that to give or acknowledge a salute endangered the patrol and the member, both of whom had to lift a hand from the controls, in 1961 patrols were instructed that it was their duty to salute AA badges but not if there was a risk to themselves.

In 1962 (coincidentally the same year that Mini vans started to replace motorcycles) patrols were relieved altogether of the responsibility of saluting when patrolling.”

Edited by pH
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, southern42 said:

IMG_3981a.jpeg.c6ac966a4f78af266f29d9116091924f.jpeg

Remember this? Not a bee / wasp / hornet.

I recall Momma Bear getting bitten on the leg by one many, many moons ago.  It came up in an enormous boil an inch+ in diameter and full of gunge.....:bo_mini:

Does anyone happen to know of an unobtrusive looking tray/trolley combination usable when sitting in an armchair, such that a laptop could be placed on it without it resting on your legs?  There's also no access for any part of a trolley to go beneath the chair, just to add to the difficulty....

One of those trays that pop up out of airline seat armrests would be just the ticket....

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

@polybear Well done

Afghanistan has turned into a complete fustercluck what a waste of just short of 500 British lives for it to end this way.

All that money spent on training the Afghan national army and they run away. The U S Embassy looked like Saigon in 1975 with fires on the lawns and Helicopters taking off from the compound.

One smells corruption running rife in the ANA 

Won't say anything more because it will be too political 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

4 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Won't say anything more because it will be too political 

Please don't, it would be. By our collective agreement, this is not the place.

My son's older brother did two tours. He is well. Many others are not.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does anyone happen to know of an unobtrusive looking tray/trolley combination usable when sitting in an armchair, such that a laptop could be placed on it without it resting on your legs?

There are many such solutions. Search with keywords "cantilever", "rolling", "laptop", "stand".

Here is one, though I don't know if it is available in the UK.

If you have a side table, there are many more options with a cantilevered tray that will clamp onto a table.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Does anyone happen to know of an unobtrusive looking tray/trolley combination usable when sitting in an armchair, such that a laptop could be placed on it without it resting on your legs?  There's also no access for any part of a trolley to go beneath the chair, just to add to the difficulty....

One of those trays that pop up out of airline seat armrests would be just the ticket....

One of these?https://www.aosom.co.uk/item/homcom-multipurpose-overbed-chair-table-height-adjustable-with-4-castors-lockable~831-110.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw9uKIBhA8EiwAYPUS3Krr8id_lY9lHSPpY8DQavpx5tzdSaNGVY-vTQSXdSZatDbFp8DyXhoCAK4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just Google 'over chair table' and you should come up with dozens ranging in price from dirt cheap to how much!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Yes Gloucester Services are a refreshing change from the Normal Motorway services. Plenty of choice of edible food. No big chains selling burgers with fries.. why..it even has a farm shop..

Baz

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I am now required to dig holes for things to be inserted into soil.  I wonder what will happen if I ask her to return the favour and strip wires for me before I insert them into choc-block joiners :jester:

I think the best you can hope for is Brownie points but they are like sub atomic particles and have a very short half-life. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10