The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning, um, nobody I think. Just got in from driving the Real Ale Train on the MHR and am sat here with a cheese and tomato sarnie and a pint of 'Old Ferret Molester' or somesuch godawful real ale. How people drink this crap is beyond me...hang on I'm drinking it, doh! It's horrible but I'm thirsty and it was free.

Had possibly my last ever turn on the Standard 5 (I know, I said that last time but time is running out for the thing) and we made sure it was a cracker. The runs with the punters on were good enough (never seen so many heads out the windows on a RAT) but I made sure the empty stock run up the bank from Alton to Medstead last thing was something I'll remember for a long time.

I'll really miss that engine when it goes.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Went to bed early last night, knowing that I am an ER but in need of sufficient sleep all the same. Next time I'll check in here we'll be in Cuxhaven on the North Sea coast :yes: . Or in between if I should feel like firing up my laptop when I'm not driving!

Cheers everyone!

Morning all...:D

At last, two consecutive nights where I slept through, so starting to feel alive again. Decided I will never make an F1 driver. Two days in a supercar and every bone and muscle in my body is still aching. Got back in my own car and it felt like a soggy blancmange, but it is comfortable...

Looks like it's going to be a fine one down here. Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday. I quite fancy that Sunday should become a silent day as they have in some countries in Europe. No lawnmowers or DIY. Probably no shops open either. Just a peaceful day to enjoy the company of family and friends and the simple pleasure of life. Needless to say it will never happen here....

Indeed Pete - the home of Hot Club of Cowtown - one of the best Western Swing outfits in the world.

Stewart

I have a soft spot for "Asleep at the Wheel"

"Big Ball's in Cowtown" (Bob Wills), does it get played everynight at the "Hot Club"?

The thing about Austin is that you can possibly hear everything from Eric Johnson to Western Swing on the same evening in the same neighborhood.....

Cheers, Stewart, Pete.

Morning all...:D

. I quite fancy that Sunday should become a silent day as they have in some countries in Europe. No lawnmowers or DIY. Probably no shops open either. Just a peaceful day to enjoy the company of family and friends and the simple pleasure of life. Needless to say it will never happen here....

Shenfield used to be like that in the 50's and 60's - My God the complaints if someone fired up a lawnmower on a Sunday! You could buy a packet of fags and a Newspaper before Noon and that was it.

Of course back then I hated Sundays.........................but at least I could still get into London on the Express.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, the sun is struggling through the cloud and a light breeze could this be the British summer? Unpacking boxes is today's plan and FIL has recovered from his botched operation and should be home on Monday.

• RMweb Premium

does it get played everynight at the "Hot Club"?

Pete - Hot Club of Cowtown is actually the name of the band - they used to have a sort of residency at the Continental Club in Austin, but from their website ( http://hotclubofcowtown.com ), it appears that they might have finished that now that they've gained a lot of popularity. They're a red hot three piece, and I saw them live in Manchester a couple of years back, before I did my hip - couldn't do the gig now as it was a standing venue.

Afternoon All

Good to hear that Gordon's in better fettle now.

Not a lot more to say here, so...

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Bonjour, Matelot!

Brentwood goes Continental? Whatever next? Tables, Chairs and bright umbrella's outside "The Good Intent"? Btw is "The Vic" still there around the corner in Ongar Road?

Don't look back in Ongar....................

Best, Pete.

Aditi said Benfleet would be perfect if it had Brentwood's shops! The High St as well as the Belgian paving has a "genuine" Belgian friterie, a "Slug & lettuce", O'Neills and what Matthew calls "rah" clothes shops. It didn't look as if the town was in a recession but when the first two garages found when approaching from the west are Jaguar and Aston Martin I suppose it does indicate something. Have you been to England since the smoking ban? Lots of cafes, pubs , have outside tables now. The Wimpy in Benfleet up on the A13 has outside tables now, very continental! I didn't go up Ongar Road yesterday. I'd arranged to meet Aditi opposite Brentwood School in the Council Office car park so I was looking for someone with new hair and shopping!

Tony

It's always been a bit like that - Shenfield is worse, it's a dormitory town for West Ham players. Both Bobby Moore and Trevor Brooking live(d) there as did Cricketer Graham Gooch for a while.

When I was still at school Jimmy Greaves moved next door to my mate on Greenway, Hutton Mount. First thing he did was put a full sized goal post up in his back yard and practised wacking them in from all different angles much to our delight!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

It's always been a bit like that - Shenfield is worse, it's a dormitory town for West Ham players. Both Bobby Moore and Trevor Brooking live(d) there as did Cricketer Graham Gooch for a while.

When I was still at school Jimmy Greaves moved next door to my mate on Greenway, Hutton Mount. First thing he did was put a full sized goal post up in his back yard and practised wacking them in from all different angles much to our delight!

Best, Pete.

We bought all the carpets for this house from a shop in Shenfield, (they also had a branch in Harold Hill). It isn't there now, probably a trendy eaterie! I don't think Benfleet has any famous or infamous residents, it is one of those places where something happens every 800 years.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

When is your next happening due?

Approx 2480 AD (or CE if you are PC!). Last significant events 890 AD, Battle of Benfleet, and in 1667 the Dutch navy fired on Benfleet possibly mistaking it for Tilbury.

• RMweb Gold

Benfleet sounds about as interesting as Hedge End.

Funny old day today - got up late, played some guitar, decided I didn't like the amp I was using, drove 50 miles to Guildford, part exchanged old amp for new amp, not too much more to pay, what there is on 0% finance (my favourite words), one happy bunny. All on the spur of the moment - a planner I am most definitely not.

Morning all, Start of yet another month (are they getting shorter, or does it just seem like it???)

Weather wise not a lot to report, dull and overcast here (sun rise not due for another 30 minutes)

Enjoy your day!

Trev

Morning All,

Well, that was a rather busy weekend - so I am back at work for a rest this morning (I don't think...)

The weekend consisted of around 16 hours in the car driving up to my Girlfriends sister near Kiel, and a day spent helping her move house.

It was a bit of an Ikea building spree, with a few boxes to shift built in.

Off to Karlsruhe this morning on a business trip... :blink:

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Quite pleasant here this morning and it is forecast to be rather warm later. Cutting the grass and final holiday preparation today. This time tomorrow we should be approaching the Channel Tunnel.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Have a good holiday Tony. I hope Matthew enjoys his trip to Vietnam too, whenever that takes place.

Good luck Mick. I do hope it all works out for you eventually.