The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good grief, I go to sleep and you lot have been blooming busy! Might need to rename it Early Risers and Insomniacs!

Slept in a little longer today than normal. Think it's because I'm dieting so I've less energy. Trying to lose a stone or so, I want to be able to comfortably get into one of my suits and some trousers - I've put on a good few pounds recently.

Other than that not much to report. No cellar to flood or fast car to drive!

Enjoy your Friday, all!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, All the oktas still in place so far. I suppose with the shift from ERs to EERs I'm back on the late shift!

Had the pleasure of driving a Ferrari F355 round Thruxton for a few laps a year or so ago. Was awfully good fun. :D :P :wub:

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

As an aside, Pete, look at the JVC Everio GZ-HM445REK.

It seems amazingly cheap for its abilities.

Better makes are certainly available but do I want to spend another £500 for minimal improvements?

Not really.

Sorry - carry on ERs.

DD, Half the battle is being happy with your equipment. Make sure YOU are.

I'm not sure that is available over here, I'll check it out.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a gloomy morning compared to yesterday and a cool wind. Mike if I have learned anything at all about losing weight it is that exercise is key not dieting, yes avoiding chocolate etc is helpful but long term burning off calories is the answer.

• RMweb Gold

Wahoo! That's callout over for 4 weeks now apart from the nasty little 15-30 to 20-00 slot this afternoon. I've got to get on with the list now as son and DiL are coming over to claim her birthday present which I haven't actually bought yet....

Looking forward to tomorrow, I'm driving the evening RAT (Real Ale Train), don't have to be up there till 4 although I'm going up at 2 as Pugsley is coming up to measure something or the other. Then it's simply take the loco over, coal, water and a quick splash of oil then we're on our way. We even get a curry and if there's any beer left we get a carry home.

Have a good one.

Morning all, a gloomy morning compared to yesterday and a cool wind. Mike if I have learned anything at all about losing weight it is that exercise is key not dieting, yes avoiding chocolate etc is helpful but long term burning off calories is the answer.

Thanks Mick, I'm doing plenty of that too and increasing the amount I'm doing.

I've cut out crisps and chocolate for the past fortnight. Crisps are my real downfall.

As a Freeview user (not V*rgin or Sky) I'm seriously hacked off with this morning's F1 announcement and have written to the BBC in complaint.

• RMweb Premium

... We even get a curry and if there's any beer left we get a carry home. ...

I seem to remember last time I was on the RAT the only thing left was Betty Stoggs and it was a struggle to help them clear that up. Anyway you always winge about real ale! They gonna give you a carry out of Lager or red laughing water?

I wonder if Gordon's rental company will notice the slight stain on the driver's seat where a tractor pulled out in front of us while we were taking a little pootle through the countryside?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Anyway you always winge about real ale! They gonna give you a carry out of Lager or red laughing water?

Cheers

Dave

Fosters is the real deal isn't it? Better than that flat, warm, muddy brown vinegary stuff....

• RMweb Gold

Morning (sorry), afternoon all.

I've been doing lots of little tasks today. My main instruction is to tidy the lounge and dining room, our neighbours will be coming round for a meal tonight and Aditi has suggested the model railway stuff on the dining table would probably not survive as a table decoration. I've sorted out the final bits of documentation for the holiday. I only need an Austrian motorway sticker now and I can get that from motorway services in Germany near the border or actually at the border. My German environment sticker is still attached.

Robert, I haven't been on the Belgian motorways for a few years now but I suspect the Freelander will cope. I was getting lots of discomfort driving even relatively short distances in other cars, but the ride/seating position is lovely. I can get in with backache/joint pain and feel it disappear. I could probably get in the Ferrari that Gordon has been playing with but I'd worry about getting out. Aditi being very short could do with a step stool for the Freelander though, ours doesn't have the running board option.

We have used all sorts of routes to and from Austria in the past, this time we are going via Aachen (never been there) and Munich. We'll spend three days getting to Austria, 2 weeks in one hotel (halfway between Innsbruck and Salzburg) and two days returning home (via Aachen).

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

It's overcast and slightly windy outside, and possible showers are forecast as well. However, summer is predicted to finally return by Tuesday.

Just one more night and we'll be off on our vacation – as we got ourselves a 3G USB stick, I shall be able to stay in touch, too :yes: .

Cheers everyone...

Have en excellent vacation, 1217 0, er, whatever.................!!!!!!

It'll only be in the 90's here next week, my Wife wanted me to go down to Austin (an admirable Music City) next week - the average high will be 104f all freaking week! For July 2011 they only had two days below 100f and they were 99f..............bloody humid too.

Best, Pete.

Late on parade this morning, but being the last Saturday in the month, it's "Environmental" day here, that means a blanket ban on road traffic between 7am -10am. So I got a legitimate reason to be late!

For those that have a day off, enjoy !

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I'll be acting as chauffeur this morning. The manifold for the Clio hasn't arrived yet so I'll take my wife to the hairdressers and then carry on to Enfield to see MiL and then return to collect Aditi from the hairdresser after a couple of hours.

Weather seems very pleasant today.

Tony

Morning.

Yesterday I was the beneficiary of an unusual bit of luck.

One of the new tyres had a slow leak on the alloy rim.

The mechanic took all four tyres off, cleaned the rims and then re-filled the tyres with nitrogen.

About 45 minutes in all.

The cost: £3.95 (!!!!!).

That is good customer service in my book.

• RMweb Gold

Enjoy your holiday Dominik!

Well I think our family have all gotten far too excited this morning. To put it short, a property in our village has taken our fancy and has only come on the market recently. I have no idea if my parents will put any offers in or not, but if they do it's going to be exciting times. And in the rare event they do buy the property it would be such a positive thing... we can still dream!

Afternoon all! Got the F1 on (might as well make the most of it while we still can...)

Was thinking about taking a walk up to the Canongate Kirk to see the Royal Wedding but don't think I can be bothered with the crowds... Might go for a walk outside of Edinburgh after the F1.

• RMweb Premium

Well, while my girlfriend's sister has a few errands to run till some time tonight, I am currently taking care of her two budgies... :yes:

dsc06407o.jpg

This here's Kobold chewing away at a food bar and sitting on my finger. However, his friend Herbert did not like to be photographed, it seems!

• RMweb Premium

Austin (an admirable Music City)

Indeed Pete - the home of Hot Club of Cowtown - one of the best Western Swing outfits in the world.

then return to collect Aditi from the hairdresser after a couple of hours.

Repeat after me - "it looks very nice dear" - phrases to avoid - "it cost HOW MUCH?" and "Was the hairdressers closed?"

All learned from 33 years wed to 30747 who also goes to the hairdresser quite often....

Afternoon All

Late on parade again - wasn't planning to be on parade at all, but I was out early on, and linesiding the WCML where Princess Lizzie made a wonderful sight cruising North - looked good even with steam shut off as slowing for the Carnforth water stop. Needed the computer to check some proper stuff like bank and credit card so this is the first chance to say good day. Due to take the dog to the hairdressers as well this afternoon - now that will cost HOW MUCH?

Regards to All

Stewart

Pete - OSX Lion update for you. The scrolling direction thing does keep catching me out, especially when I change from my Mac at home to the Windows XP machine at work, but that can be changed back to the old style of scrolling (and I may yet do that).

The thing that really irritated me was the conversations view in Mail. Fortunately I've discovered how to turn Mail back to look like it did on Leopard and Snow Leopard and I'm far far happier with that view!

So now I've had chance to customise Lion I'm far happier with it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pete - OSX Lion update for you. The scrolling direction thing does keep catching me out, especially when I change from my Mac at home to the Windows XP machine at work, but that can be changed back to the old style of scrolling (and I may yet do that).

The thing that really irritated me was the conversations view in Mail. Fortunately I've discovered how to turn Mail back to look like it did on Leopard and Snow Leopard and I'm far far happier with that view!

So now I've had chance to customise Lion I'm far happier with it.

The scrolling thing was one of those items I immediately changed as well. I don't use Mail, so I can't comment on this specific application, however.

I personally am rather fond of an add-on called TotalFinder, which enables such functions as tabs in Finder windows, or "split" Finder windows: http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/ . No relation to the producer other than that of a satisfied customer, I should add.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Aditi did have a couple of hours at the hairdresser. I don't know how much it cost but probably not as much as the shopping in Brentwood did while she was waiting for me to meet her after my DIY at her mother's flat. The High St in Brentwood seems to have been relaid with Belgian Pavé so I am able to confirm to Robert that my car should cope with the roads in Belgium.

Hopefully we can just have a couple of quiet days packing now for the holiday. I found my German phrase book in one of the seat pockets in the car but hopefully Aditi can deal with anything that doesn't involve food or drink. We had to learn "useful" German phrases for inclusion in essays at school but I try to avoid situations where "the lorry was squashed like a concertina" is relevant.

Tony

Bonjour, Matelot!

Brentwood goes Continental? Whatever next? Tables, Chairs and bright umbrella's outside "The Good Intent"? Btw is "The Vic" still there around the corner in Ongar Road?

Don't look back in Ongar....................

Had an interesting day weatherwise, there was negative "heat index" - meaning that the temperature felt less than it really was...............i.e. the real temp was 90f but it felt like 85f. F1 tornado north of the City yesterday in Goshen.

Best, Pete.