The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings from Sidcup where it is grey but dry again. I thought I would report in early doors (which by the way was also a superb and understated comedy).

Last day of the week of working for me.

Elder Lurker's PS5 should finally arrive today. He asked for it for his 18th birthday last year (firmly in the knowledge that they had not at that time been released). We have struggled to get hold of one ever since, but if it does arrive as advertised, it will just have arrived before his 19th!!

Speaking of comedy, I tend to like a good bit of the absurd in my comedy. Growing up, we also heard the Saturday/Sunday lunchtime radio shows, so in the late 70's/early 80s I appreciated Just a Minute, I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue, the Goons, Beyond our Ken/Round the Horne. I also found Blackadder and the first five or so series of Red Dwarf really funny. Porridge and Open All Hours were superb, as was the Two Ronnies. Most sitcoms try too hard to be funny; they run out of storyline so invent a silly stunt that actually is so ridiculous in the situation it doesn't work - Last of the Summer Wine, Dad's Army, Are You Being Served? all fall into the "awful" category, as does Terry and June.

Other I liked at the time and have not seen in years, so may have dated include the Goodies, Yes Minister, Men Behaving Badly.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit grey but dry this morning but the odd shower predicted. 

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

Like many other things, the festival was on-line last year and it was strange not being there.  A cut-down version is better than nothing!

Away from all thoughts of holidays, I am not having much luck this year finding a Pride parade in which to march.  One that has not yet been cancelled is Pride in London, where those who wish to march as individuals are asked to apply for a place in the individuals’ group.  The webshite proclaims that applications will be invited in late July.  I don’t want to worry you, guys, but there is not much of July left!  

Best wishes to all

Chris   

As far as I am aware our local one which I told you of on Farcebook is still on. Its in the town centre so parking might be a problem. If you do intend to go let me know and I can direct you to the best pub which happens to be my local (they serve meals as well).

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dull and siling down here in North Somerset. 

18mm since midnight, to go with the 10mm we had yesterday in showers. This appears to be maintaining the weather sequence of flood, drought, flood, drought which the West Country seems to have been given as its new climate. 

Another 18 hours of Olympic recordings to fast forward through but, given the conditions outside, will be about the only activity permitted. No milk delivery this morning, and presumably the milkman has had to self-isolate. 

No apples or nectarines from Ocado on Tuesday, although with the nectarines I have now found that the practice of picking them unripe from the trees and then refrigerating them until they get to the supermarket shelves where ripening is a lottery, has produced some of the most rubbish fruit I can remember. So, I am not too disappointed in not having any. 

What these maximise profit at all costs companies seem not to realise, is that fruit will taste far better when allowed to ripen in the sun and turn the bland carbohydrates into tasty sugars. However, I suppose their idea is that better the fruit rot in peoples' kitchens, rather than on the shelves unpaid for. 

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Mrs Lurker would beg to differ for the primary school she works in.

She repreatedly says that about a good majority of her colleagues

I suppose I should have said it wasn’t common for people from the private education sector to do well in the state sector. Though when I worked in post 16 education there were a number of people who had worked in a variety of other jobs who came into teaching and were very good. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I suppose I should have said it wasn’t common for people from the private education sector to do well in the state sector. Though when I worked in post 16 education there were a number of people who had worked in a variety of other jobs who came into teaching and were very good. 

The last part echoes Mrs Lurker's observations to a T. Those that have had some non-teaching experience tend to be very good. Those that have been through the educational sausage machine less so.* At Mrs Lurker's school, there at least 5 teachers who were also at the school as children - the older staff remember teaching them. The school has only been there in its current form for just over 25 years. That strikes me as a very narrow set of experiences.

* there are examples in both camps who buck these general trends of course.

• Like 12
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It is cloudy but the sun is trying to shine through, it is currently winning, but heavy rain and thunder are predicted for later in the day. Today’s tasks are mainly outside, a bit of tidying up in the garden and possibly try to get the last couple of stubborn marks of the patio. If the rain does come, then I will head for the cellar and begin the big clean up. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I expect most of us here had teachers with experience elsewhere..

Trapesing across Europe, the North African deserts , Burma...

• Like 12
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Many of my teachers at secondary school had been through the route of school, university into teaching. However at that time they were “first generation” graduates, that is, no one in their family had been to university before. There were a lot of teachers from Wales who told the same story that their father had told them they were not going down the pit as had previous generations. 
Matthew did not want to be a teacher despite Mum and Dad’s profession. He said he wasn’t nice enough. When I told his undergraduate students this at his memorial event they refuted this quite emphatically. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

When I was at school a high proportion of the teachers were Welsh (including the headmaster). This I was told was because they had more grammar schools in South Wales than in other parts of the UK.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

34 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Yes, we had a Physics teacher who had previously worked at Woomera rocket ranges, and was great for A Level as he knew most of the stuff off by heart. He managed to persuade the school to purchase a second hand cloud chamber from somewhere, so we could actually see radioactive decay taking place. This was in the late 1960s. 

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, pH said:

The correct time to pick fruit, taking all factors into consideration, can be a pretty precise art.

The Okanagan is an area about 250 miles east of Vancouver which used to be a big fruit growing area. (Most of the orchards have now been ripped out and the ground given over to growing grapes for wine.) Peaches were a big crop, and a properly ripe Okanagan peach is still something special. But they have to be picked just before properly ripe to allow for the time needed to pack them and ship them to stores in the Vancouver area.

A friend grew up in the Okanagan and worked in fruit packing warehouses as a summer job. One farmer once brought in a beautiful crop of peaches ripened to perfection, but which would be well past their best once they made it onto shelves in Vancouver. It was decided that they would have to be dumped, and my friend was given the job of throwing the lot into dumpsters. He said he was almost in tears doing it. He gave some away to tourists walking past, though.

Those dumpsters containing overripe fruit used to be taken up into the surrounding hills and tipped out on the ground. The fruit rapidly fermented in the heat - the southern Okanagan is the only true desert in Canada. Free ranging cattle would find the dumped fruit and quickly get drunk on it! They tried putting barbed wire fences round the dumps, but the cattle would break through those, so instead of drunk cows you got bloody drunk cows. They don’t dump fruit like that now.

Yes, I am well aware of this, but my point was that nowadays instead of dumping fruit at the various companies' expense, they are dumping it on the customs completely unripe and think they are clever by labelling the fruit 'ripen at home'. 

All I know is that nectarines bought in UK shops used to be sweet and juicy with very few duds. Now mine seem to be 90% dud and only a few taste like nectarines should. It is almost as if the customer now bears the loss, because the growers, wholesalers and retailers are certainly not going to. The bottom line is all that matters to them.   

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Our German teacher was a German speaking Italian who had trained dogs for the SS. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6