The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Rain didn't reach home, 400 yards away there is a line across the road one side wet the other dry..

I can hear distant thunder, but strangely Ben the I hate load noises Collie isn't reacting.

Lots of fete signs around as villages catch up with those delayed from May and June. Also the circus is in town..Effin clown town, the smallest circus I've ever seen.. just three crew caravans and a tent maybe 40ft by 80ft..

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Shoes are difficult for me, but not because of large sizes (I actually have small feet) but the fact that post-Lisfranc fracture and two lots of subsequent surgery I have two different sized and shaped feet. 

I remember a shop near to Birmingham Snow Hill station where you could get shoes made to actually fit your feet. Never could afford to go there though.

1 hour ago, jonny777 said:

.................... and vanish to my bedroom where I could get Radio Caroline on my transistor radio. 

I used to listen to AFN on a valve portable (more like transportable as it had a 90v battery).

53 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I raise you Max Bygraves, he couldn't sing either.

I saw him as Buttons in panto I think in 1952/3 season in Birmingham. Avoided ever after.

I think it may have been a trial run for the Palladium which was owned by the same people. Bygraves played the same part there the next year as did the woman playing Prince Charming, but Cinders was replaced by Julie Andrews for the London run.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Just waiting for the five o'clock pitch inspection to see if the grandsons have cricket tonight. It appears that bad behaviour has gone down the food chain in the game. It seems that the team that beat them by two runs in the the last match of the group stage of their U11 competition has been complained about by the team they beat in the playoff semi final. The boys have been asked if they are available to play on the day of the final so I await more news of what dark deeds they got up to.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A packet arrived from Cornwall this morning containing some things that must not be mentioned here. Too much of the other thing we do not mention here on the telly so I'm picking out a book to read.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Dark clouds are gathering to the south of us. We did feel a few spots of rain in the wind earlier on. Youngest ended up following me with the drill driver putting screws in after I drilled a pilot hole. Just in case it started to pour it down.

It's dropped gloomy i have had to turn the lamp on

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Aft'noon folks, missed out on most of RMweb happenings today due to work. Managed to catch up and 'like' as appropriate in between nodding off. Not much else to report. Back later to say goodnight.

Edit to report a single flash and rumble, but mucho rain.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Sun is out here again....but for how long, I wonder?

...And will this post submit, this time? [It came up with an Error message 20mins ago.]

Edited by southern42
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

No rain here, its forecast thunder storm, but I've been out watering my vegetables.........................so it's bound to rain now, had I not done it then they'd have died of drought.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

With it raining this afternoon, and an awful lot cooler, I printed off the second set of decals for my VW The Prisoner bus.

And when it stopped raining, I got out in the porch and varnished them.

Tomorrow?  That will be a big deep breath and testing in water after cutting out close to the edges - they are printed on white paper and no desire for white borders.  That will test my metal! Must make sure I use the magnifying glass!

Looks like the cloud is on its way from Ireland - the sun has gone in again.  Nice while it lasted.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I saw the Krankies live once they were good i thought. Who thought Jimmy krankie would end up in charge of Scotland. I loved young ones, Bottom and filthy rich and catflap. But I didn't like Red Dwarf and Absolutely Fabulous was so overrated in my opinion 

Saw a few episodes of Red Dwarf, not really my scene. I episode of ab fab about 15mins before I switched off!

Edited by laurenceb
My comment disappeared!
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just a few minutes ago I heard a noise outside on the patio. I went to investigate and I found no fewer than three juvenile foxes playing there. I should imagine that they are siblings as they were playing together. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I am afraid that some of these employed by The NHS other Government departments and local councils wouldn't last 10 minutes in the private sector especially those who have been there a long time.

It wasn’t really like that in education. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good Evening Awl, for it may yet turn out to be so!

Much achieved but with much frustration since I awoke at around 3:00 this morning!

@chrisf: hope the next week lives up to long-held expectations.

11 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I never found Tommy Cooper funny myself 

I found Tommy Cooper an acquired taste. His constant failure to 'succeed' was akin to Les Dawson's ability to play the piano deliberately out-of-key (that takes skill and a good understanding of music!)

11 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Am I the only person who has failed to be in the least enthused about these Olympics? I usually like to watch them in moderate doses and I did really enjoy going to the London Olympics even though the only thing I could get a ticlet for was France v Turkey in the semi-finals of the women's basketball (Why tickets for London 2012 were so hard to get I still couldn't fathom as the stadium for that was three quarters empty! I don't think Dido Harding was orgainising the ticketting) Maybe it just seems a bit trivial in the middle of a major global crisis or perhaps I'm just getting old and cynical. I hope it's the former.

Olympics; what Olympics? Although I see pleasure in looking at Tom Daley (other professional sports participants are available), I derive no pleasure from watching so-called competitive sports. Actually competing is, however, a different kettle of fish!

9 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Nor did I though I did find Ronnie Barker funny, particularly in Porridge. Other "Comic" turns and sitcoms that I always found profoundly unfunny included The Clitheroe Kid, The Krankies, Harry Worth, Frank Spencer (Some Mothers...), Terry & June (and others similar such as Marriage Lines, Rings On Their Fingers etc. ad nauseam)  and, long before my time, Arthur Askey,

Ronnie Barker and Peter Sellers were, somewhat, unique in that no-one really knew their true identity!

Whilst much of a comedian's repertoire has to be attributed to his/her scriptwriters, Barker wrote many of the Two Ronnie sketches under the pseudonym of Gerald Wiley. IIRC, Askey was scripted.

One has to appreciate that there are different types of humour, often involving Double Entendres, Innuendo and Puns, amongst others!

With most of what I refer to as the 'Sunday lunch Time Shows' (Navy Lark, Clitheroe Kid, Round the Horne, Much Binding in the Marsh, et alia), all had a team of script writers (Navy Lark's were, IIRC, ex Navy! so had an inside view!) (IIRC, Yes [Prime] Minister scripts were written by political advisors or civil servants (i.e. those in the know!)!)

As a student I was addicted to Monty Python (as were most of us) though for a time it was London only so we  got "Tedious Git's Boring Country Strolls" or some such regional opt-out. However, I remember about a third of them being genuinely hilarious, a third quite funny but not that memorable, and a third decidely unfunny. Needless to say it was the first third we remember with such affection.

Deriving from David Frost's TW3, Monty Python produced a well presented satirical view on life!

I have to say that my all time favourite radio comedy is still John Finnemore's "Cabin Pressure" with HHGG a close second (If you don't know what HHGG was you really don't share my sense of humour)   Unlike many radio purists, I enjoyed the TV version and the film version just as much  and even employed Peter Jones (a lovely man to work with) using his voice as "The Book", sometimes with similar graphics, for an adult numeracy series in 1990.     

HHGG is my all-time favourite treatise on life!

At Uni, I had listened to the original radio series; I then watched and enjoyed the BBC programme based on the first two books (HHGG and Restaurant at the end of the Universe). I have read all of Douglas Adam's original books and embrace many of the concepts therein (SEP is an obvious one!). IMHO, the (relatively) recently film version fell well short of the mark of the BBC transmission but this may have been deliberate, anticipating a sequel.

All this on page 10042!

However, when this thread arrives around page 101010, I, for one, will he a happy hitch hiker!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

HHGG is my all-time favourite treatise on life!

I usually see these works abbreviated as HHGTTG which I had thought was the convention.

Personally I do not like such acronyms of creative works - like LOTR or ST-TNG or the particularly absurd ST-TOS etc. It is one thing for global organizations (NATO, UNESCO, etc), corporations (IBM etc) or occasionally nations (USA and UK come to mind) to use acronyms but I'm not a fan of the internet's habit of making acronyms of the the names of books, movies and television shows. It has reached the point where certain television shows are now promoted via an acronym.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6