The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Ocado delivery this morning.

FROM Essex?

We live in Hampshire, and there is a distribution centre in Andover? 

They had a big fire at one of their distribution warehouses recently,  (two cheaper than human  "pickers" collided and caused a fire)  ... that may be why??

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

40 minutes ago, Barry O said:

They had a big fire at one of their distribution warehouses recently,  (two cheaper than human  "pickers" collided and caused a fire)  ... that may be why??

Naz

Yes, we saw that and had NO delivery last week, and then an e-mail last night saying would be here this morning from its Distribution Centre in Essex.:banghead:

Bloody Robots, they think there clever.:mail:

• Like 14
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Swmbo has decided that she wants some boards putting the other way on between the 2 sections of decking.............So it looks like it will be another order of boards.

Now if only she'd told you when you ordered the first batch then you wouldn't be looking at a second delivery charge.....:banghead:

A new kettle has just arrived from S. America :yahoo: - so no more need to boil water in a pan when I want a cuppa.  In fairness the new Induction Hob is just soooooo fast at boiling water.  Impressed.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There is a Newcastle in Co Down i think there is one in Shropshire and then there is Newcastle Emlyn.

I once bought some parts for the Merc from EBay i thought they were coming from Newton Abbot and got confused when they were tracking as Belfast it was Newton Abbey or Newtonards they were coming from

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Now if only she'd told you when you ordered the first batch then you wouldn't be looking at a second delivery charge.....:banghead:

A new kettle has just arrived from S. America :yahoo: - so no more need to boil water in a pan when I want a cuppa.  In fairness the new Induction Hob is just soooooo fast at boiling water.  Impressed.

She used to be contrary now she isnt so sure

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

The Fed ex hub is Newcastle under Lyme. Although Fed ex class it as Stoke on Trent

These big firms do struggle with the nuances of local geography. There was considerable offence take when a Tesco Local opened on our road (occupying the former pub) distributing bags branded Tesco Lower Earley. We are of course Maiden Erlegh - a solidly-built Gough Cooper 1960s hilltop estate, nothing to do with those 80s rabbit hutches on the flood plain of the Loddon.

• Like 13
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Are there no local kettle vendors a little closer than S. America?

A "coded" reference to the largest river in South America, (or more clearly, a very large online store, offering smiles from A » Z ) I thought.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

A querulous Monday in Wheeltappers it seems.

If people don't like Amazon, there's no need to do business with them. Personally I prefer to spend elsewhere, but sometimes there is just no beating their convenience. Their "bad" corporate behaviour is only so because the governments of the world permit them (and often encourage them) to behave in a such manner regarding tax shelters. Companies like Apple Computer are no different. Amazon certainly don't treat their warehouse employees well, but neither did centuries of British mining companies*. I wonder if some correspondents' impressions would be the same had the company been created in the UK.

* Other examples, long considered "backbones of the economy" are available

Delivery companies seem to be a popular target. I can relate that in the US, UPS delivers sterling service.

One that I have trouble with is DHL. A large multinational toy company (headquartered in Denmark) from whom I purchase directly in the US, uses FedEx for most items and DHL for others. (Either service is free with a sufficient purchase.) The FedEx packages arrive very promptly.  Based on the tracking (which takes weeks to become visible) the DHL shipments sit in a sorting facility in Georgia** for two or three weeks until they are handed off to the US Postal Service which then delivers them in a couple of days. Why is this? Who knows? (I've also had DHL completely lose items shipped from abroad.)

** The US state, not the country known for stews and very indifferent wines. (I did enjoy a meal in a Georgian restaurant in Tel Aviv. It was fun. They were very proud of their wine. They shouldn't have been.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Mike. I did figure that but threw in Target before I realised that Target may not be known in the UK.  Is it?

Brian.

I am fairly certain it doesn’t exist in the UK but I suspect many people know the name. US popular culture references are not exactly rare here. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Target may not be known in the UK.  Is it?

I don't believe Target operates in the UK. 

They do operate in Australia, but carry different lines and mostly focus on apparel and housewares, rather than the 'box mart' version in the US with groceries, pharmacy (now CVS) etc. I think Australians have clung to the unofficial "targé" (tarjay) nickname longer. I don't hear that much here anymore.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Ocado delivery this morning.

FROM Essex?

We live in Hampshire, and there is a distribution centre in Andover? 

I didn't think Andover was functioning yet after the fire, which was caused by a battery charging fault on a robot. Last robot incident was at Erith.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12

19 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I didn't think Andover was functioning yet after the fire, which was caused by a battery charging fault on a robot. Last robot incident was at Erith.

Yes, apparently Erith was where ours would normally come from at the moment.

• Like 15

42 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't believe Target operates in the UK. 

They do operate in Australia …

They tried expanding into Canada. It was a complete disaster. They lost over 2 billion and closed all of their stores after just over 2 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1