The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Travelling on near-empty trains to and from work I now feel no obligation to wear one and haven't done so yet this week.  I do carry them and will apply one if asked or if the train gets busier than I find comfortable.

If I'm not mistaken, the US Federal Government still requires masks on all public transport nationwide - buses, trains and aeroplanes. Unruly passengers on aeroplanes* has been a serious issue for flight crews for some time now.

* Mostly refusing to mask (often inebriation is a factor) but there were some truly concerning episodes.

Businesses are permitted to require masking. My dentist does - except of course during the procedure. Most shops have a small sign recommending that unvaccinated people wear a mask but there is no enforcement. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I.find Sam unthinkable bitter undrinkable  the lager on the other hand Aylingerbrau like rocket fuel.

Would that be Ayingerbrau wot Sam Smith's appear to sell (now in several variants), or summat else ?  (if the former, I can't type either.) Only asking because the first lager I ever drank was Ayingerbrau (ordinary strength, bottled) at a campus beer festival in 1974. ISTR it was ok, but that was at Lancaster and we were awash with good local beers (and cans of McEwan's for the Student Union meetings), so no need to try the fizzy keg lagers.

Nowadays, I can get by with weak supermarket canned lager when it is hot.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to add, on the local news last night there was a report of a young man drowning in Salford Quays yesterday afternoon, after jumping in to cool off, I suspect he succumbed to temperature shock. The difference between air temperature and water temperature can be quite dramatic, it always takes my breath away when I swim in there and I am expecting it! 

When I was at the big orange DIY shed yesterday, I wore a mask and so did most of the other shoppers. But I did see a woman remove her mask, so she could read what was on the label of some laminate flooring, WTF :swoon:

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

It has been another scorcheroo here, reaching 29C again this afternoon. 

This morning I managed to some work done in the garden, but I did not get all but one of the potted plants in the ground, this plant is a rose and we have not decided where it should go yet. There are just over a dozen small pots with seedlings in, which will stay in their pots until next year, when they will be big enough to go in the ground. 

This afternoon was spent getting ready for our day out tomorrow. So I went down to the shed and I retrieved our 2 small fold away trucks and gave them bit of a clean, as they have not been used for 2 years, I also go our fold up chairs and a small parasol too! Again it has been 2 years since they were last used, so I gave them a bit of a clean as well. I then took everything to the car and it is all now safely packed in the boot. After tea I made sandwiches for both of us, they will remain in the fridge, along with half a dozen bottles of water and some iced tea until tomorrow morning, when I pack our lunch bags. 

• Like 5

Just now, brianusa said:

It has been another scorcheroo here, reaching 29C again this afternoon.

Just to cool you off its 23C right now , nearly tea time here.  Actually had some rain this morning, not a lot but more than the weather forecaster forecast.  We'll take it!

Brian.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning, 16 here currently with many more to come.

Yesterday evening was pleasant, took the kayak down to Port-e-Vullen with a friend for his first experience on the water, he absolutely loved it.  His parents came along (they share an enormous 4 storey house, built as a Victorian guest house) for the crack in the hope of seeing him fall in, but were disappointed in that respect, but it was a gorgeous evening - loads of folk in the water, paddleboarding, kayaking, swimming, or just playing for the younger element, aka pink terrorists. 

Not sure what I'll be up to today, but a walk this morning before things get too hot is on the cards, then who knows.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

It's a problem if you wear glasses, cos' they can steam up.  I just pinch my nose if I want to read anything and it seems to do the trick in minimising fogging.

The lady in question, did not wear glasses!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12