The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Apparently the original fourth passenger had to pull out "due to a scheduling conflict".  That means his missus said no ...

Or his corporate insurers decided that suborbital space flight would violate their C-suite, executive insurance policy - much like I expect the corporate insurers for Amazon.com, Inc. likely did for Mr. Bezos, requiring him to step down before becoming a spaceman.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

Going home yesterday I had to stop at the pedestrian crossing in Effing clown town, the crossing goes between two branches of the same store.. Face masks ? what are they? very very few seen coming out of the stores.. But being a tourist town , they struggled to get the Effing Clowns to wear them, even when it was law.

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Just back home via The Big Tes and Coes, surprisingly just three out of the hundreds in store not wearing a mask. 

As I anticipated, in the period between my shopping trip yesterday and that of the week prior, the number of people wearing masks in local supermarkets has dropped precipitously.

CoViD restrictions were dropped near then end of June. A week ago, perhaps almost half of customers and employees were masked. Now it is a small fraction of that. I felt odd wearing one.

Meanwhile, across the river in Washington, there is an outbreak at an area hospital, including at least one breakthrough case in a fully vaccinated hospital employee (a nurse I think).

Cases are increasing - in Oregon the seven day average of daily cases has doubled in the last 14 days. (Not quite the "bathtub curve" being experienced in the UK, but not promising.) Nationally the situation is similar, but in some states where vaccination rates are low, hospitalizations are up, including one state temporarily running out of ventilators. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Long time, no speak!

Just a couple of observations on the recent milestones:

On 15/07/2021 at 15:53, AndyB said:

In a non binary sense we're actually on page 17 still. 

Indeed!

On 15/07/2021 at 21:05, JohnDMJ said:

Can't wait for page 101010! Don't Panic!

Indeed, we have traversed pages:

16 (10000)

17 (10001)

18 (10010)

and 19 (10011)

in pretty much short order!

Next will be 10100, i.e. Page 20, but there is a long way to go! (89 pages, 2225 posts? See you next week!)

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 12
  • Funny 2

On 15/09/2020 at 20:44, Tony_S said:

So is BokStein Bok stine, steen or shtine ?

I know it's been a while but I believe Schtyne to be correct, as in eye rather than ear!

Despite the best efforts of the German band, Helloween, Germanic pronunciation of ei vs ie tends to take the second letter as the rule. ei - eye, ie = eee.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Barry O said:

We played a 40 overs a side game today. It was hot. Drinks taken every 10 overs (one cricketer died on Saturday and 1 gad a heart attack due to heat.)

Lincolnshire score 223, Yorkshire Ridings knocked them off for the loss of 2 wickets with 5 overs to go.

Glad to get in the Aircon world in Beasty.. same system as fitted in Oz and NZ versions of the car. Wonderful. 

Pint of beer after match..£2 for a pint of Sam Smiths bitter... yes TWO POUNDS...

A bit ity more cricket now being watched

Baz

At £2 for Sam Smith's you were robbed, I think they would have to pay me to drink it ;)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I've got a roofer coming round to have a look at the flat roof tomorrow. I had the roof replaced 25-30 years ago (fibreglass) and it was guaranteed for 15 years so its not done too bad. Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

At £2 for Sam Smith's you were robbed, I think they would have to pay me to drink it ;)

Each to his own!

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Nowt wrong with it.. I could have had a pint of John Smiths carp for £2...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, The Lurker said:

the latest thought is that the dinosaurs were not (all) cold blooded. They show evidence of feather and fur like coverings in some cases. And their descendants, the birds, are warm blooded. The really huge dinosaurs (the sauropods etc) may well have been more cold blooded because they have such large thermal masses that they could retain heat. There are fossil traces in areas that can be shown to be in the polar regions at that time; those regions were not as cold as today judging by the fossil vegetation remains but they would still have had periods of darkness (up to 6 month presumably).

The ash thrown up the meteorite strike would have blotted out the sun, with disastrous effects on plant life, followed by acid rain as the lighter particles returned to the earth, with disastrous effects on the oceans. There would have been widespread collapse of food chains and mass die offs. 

Just as little diversion on this path of evolution may I just say that the Ginko biloba is said to be the closest living plant around today that  existed  when dinosaurs were around.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

12 hours ago, grandadbob said:

The Shed was visited for about 10 minutes yesterday afternoon but it was too hot.  When I had it built I did wonder if air con was needed but decided against it.

Happened all the time!  That was then, this is now and its beginning to look like A/C is going to be as ubiquitous as it is here; you wouldn't have a car now without it, would you, so with summers that are supposed to be getting hotter, it makes sense to have a cool house as well as a car.  Especially for those of  certain age who seem to succumb to the heat more readily!:scared:

Brian.

• Like 16

I.find Sam unthinkable bitter undrinkable  the lager on the other hand Aylingerbrau like rocket fuel.

Mind you at uni they were selling peach flavoured lager in bottles called diabolo it was awful but cheap not many would.drink it unless you were either a cheapskate like me or a hardened drinker. Although I could down pints in one of bitter lager or Guinness. I had even developed a party piece of drinking a pint in one without touching it with my hands just buying the run of the pint pot and lifting it up using my mouth to tip it up. It was a nice little earner I couldn't do it now I don't drink and have been dry for over 2 years

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A week ago, perhaps almost half of customers and employees were masked. Now it is a small fraction of that. I felt odd wearing one.

Day Two of the non-mandatory mask in England.  

Thus far I haven't observed a great change in habit.  Almost as many of our customers as before are wearing something akin to a face-covering.  And as many are wearing it incorrectly.  There is a very slight increase in the numbers not wearing anything at all which roughly correlates to the rise in leisure travel now that most schools and universities are finished for the summer.  

Travelling on near-empty trains to and from work I now feel no obligation to wear one and haven't done so yet this week.  I do carry them and will apply one if asked or if the train gets busier than I find comfortable.  Working in the open air and able to remove myself from crowds and people waiting in close proximity I have also ceased using one whilst at work but again it's in my pocket and will be deployed if asked or if I am unavoidably in a busy location surrounded by people.  

We haven't tried shops or other places yet.  But the few people who were still wearing masks just out and about in the street and the parks last week don't appear to be doing so any more.  

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just a thought - haven't seen Mike Stationmaster round recently - take it he's away.

I believe so, although his regular boat trip around various buoys and light-vessels won't be taking place again this year.  

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just a thought - haven't seen Mike Stationmaster round recently - take it he's away.

11 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

He is popping up elsewhere on the forum

I wonder if it was something we said. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 3

I see.MR Bezos has returned from space  

Incidentally on an Amazon tablet Bezos is automatically replaced with Nazis by the spell chucker

According to the BBC website pubs and restaurants in Pontyclun and Saundersfoot have had to close due to extreme temps in the kitchens 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1