The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Late and not caught up simply cos I can't be @rsed :(

I have taken next week off work and had hoped to make a start on repainting mi canal boat, looks like that won't happen because of the forecast temperatures. It's not often that one takes time off work and hopes for cool dry weather...... Timed it wrong again.

Tea time (as in mug of), stay safe, sane, well and above all hydrated folks.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

18 hours ago, jonny777 said:

But BST in the winter was tried in the late 1960s and rejected because it was too dark in the mornings.

I remember that we had yellow fire engines - apparently more visible than red in sodium street lighting. Those of a nervous disposition look awy now, for the link be to a m@del.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/95283/corgi_collectables_97360_aec_pump_escape_rotherham_fire_brigade/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

. Emojis help return some of the nuances of the English language when used in social media :o but, like adding salt to your meal, emojis are best use sparingly and in carefully selected places. :rtfm:

Welcome aboard. 

iD

I can’t seem to use emojis on my iPad. I get an error message  saying ‘ the value entered includes a character that is not allowed such as an Emoji.’ Can anyone help?

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The TV has been going into scan mode again. Up until the last few days its been behaving itself but as soon as the weather warms up it starts playing up. Fortunately I was able to get it working again this afternoon and was able to catch the last twenty minutes of the British GP, I won't give the result in case anyone is going to watch it later. Arthur Itis has been full of himself today and Nurofen has been deployed and is keeping him quiet for now. Tea has brewed so its be back later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Sunday Funnies:

image.png.70abf9994c6f4d7c0bb3167db25b528e.png

image.png.b6408b35991edaafe89deac2a23bc112.png

image.png.d0b5769394d72348dd5958347277ba33.png

image.png.93d86fecca2a682da97eea6b29a509fb.png

image.png.557f3969d97fc4c9102048538f727f29.png

image.png.1b45db5bde511382e10147584fe39403.png

image.png.2157b947d9306393517dc0e8bf820cc0.png

image.png.70e72f8e9e0b13416992cdae7e99736f.png

I saw a TV show in the Radio Times called "It's me or the dog"
You can imagine my disappointment when I tuned in at the appropriate time and it wasn't a game show about who had just farted.

A butcher is shooing a dog from his shop, he sees £20 and a note in his mouth, reading: "10 lamb chops, please." Amazed, he takes the money, puts a bag of chops in the dog's mouth, and quickly closes the shop. He follows the dog and watches him wait for a green light, look both ways, then trots across the road to a bus-stop.
The dog checks the timetable and sits on the bench. When a bus arrives, he walks around to the front and looks at the number, then boards the bus. The butcher follows, dumbstruck.
As the bus travels out into the suburbs, the dog takes in the scenery. After a while he stands on his back paws to push the "stop" bell, and then the butcher follows him off. The dog runs up to a house and drops his bag on the step.
He barks repeatedly. No answer.
He goes back down the path, takes a big run, and throws himself (Whap!) against the door. He does this again and again. No answer. So he jumps on a wall, walks around the garden, barks repeatedly at a window, jumps off, and waits at the front door.
Eventually a small guy opens it and starts cursing and shouting at the dog. The butcher runs up and screams at the guy: "What the hell are you doing? This dog's a genius!
The owner responds, "Genius, my arse. This is the second time this week he's forgotten his key!"

And here's a few that are relevant to recent threads (or fellow ER interests):

image.png.98c000959d0b79b2540722ef9e00c805.png

image.png.56ad6506d37ad7e1cd2dedd1b84fce11.png

The graduate in Chemical Engineering builds explosives.
The graduate in Electrical Engineering builds guidance systems.
The graduate in Aeronautical Engineering builds delivery platforms.
The graduate in Mechanical Engineering builds weapons.
The graduate in Civil Engineering builds targets!!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

40 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I can’t seem to use emojis on my iPad. I get an error message  saying ‘ the value entered includes a character that is not allowed such as an Emoji.’ Can anyone help?

The emojis are at the top of the text entry box the ones on your phone/tablet/I pad.

There is a B an italic I an underline option then a smiley face thats the emoji button.

Hope this helps 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Alas, no! Although for the past three decades I have been a very happy DINKY (Dual Income No Kids),  there were certain things that were put off limits by Captain Cynical’s CFO (Mrs iD), the Nakamichi Dragon was one of them…

Whilst being in possession of a pair of B&W speakers, unfortunately, (B&W were the UK Nakamichi agents, IIRC) I have nothing of Nakamichi's manufacture in my setup. (For the uninitiated, the Dragon was an autoreverse cassette player / recorder but only had two pickups. To play the other side, it would open the cassette door, rotate the cassette then close for continued playing.)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Cricket.. watched.

It was very warm and quite a lively crowd at Headingley.  England bowled well and fielded well. Some big ball bashing too!

One minor problem.. some of the lads supporting the away team fired a lot of verbal abuse at Jonny Bairstow while he was fielding near by. 

Shame.

Baz

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... I still have a very high quality Nakamichi cassette deck ...snip...

iD

The Dragon? I see that you answered "no" in a later post. Anyway, I have somewhere, a Nak 1000.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information and change some text.
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Well, you did say iPad! :yahoo:A friend has a similar problem with his when on ebayusa.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Barry O said:

One minor problem.. some of the lads supporting the away team fired a lot of verbal abuse at Jonny Bairstow while he was fielding near by.

Does he play for Spurs?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Sunday Funnies:

image.png.70abf9994c6f4d7c0bb3167db25b528e.png

That one made me really laugh out loud! Although I would probably substitute a different name for the last one. :yahoo:And, no, probably not who you might be thinking of.

NB: Until I came to ER, the last PM of yours (when they were in office) that I knew the name of was Mrs.Thatcher. I remember a few others but they (probably) should remain nameless. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, jonny777 said:

So you would not mind it being dark by 9pm in July and 8pm in August? 

Strewth , what  time does the sun set there?? Are you in the land of the midnight sun or something?

Here even in the height of summer its sunset around 8.15.

The issue here though is that much of our native wildlife is nocturnal and so if the sun set much later that would badly affect them.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, PupCam said:

...snip... What on earth do they do with their time?  Sit and vegetate ...snip...

That is me right now but instead of imitating a carrot, I read a lot. I am currently reading the first volume of THE LAST LION about Winston Churchill, in fact, yesterday I had just gotten beyond the Tonypandy affair; oddly, that was brought up yesterday in a thread. Weird timing.

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2