The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I don't know the answer, but I do believe that tribalism seems to be on the increase.

I think that is an accurate statement. I see lots of evidence for it in the English-speaking democracies with which I am familiar.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news:

Bear spent the afternoon "deciding" on a Hob Splashback......I'm now down to four different options (none of which are any of those shown in a previous post)

.  I discovered that the manufacturer offers an image library of some 250 million different photos, illustrations and designs, all of which can be cropped etc. as required to suit.  No wonder Bear is feeling frazzled.

As an example, here are some images that other ER'ers may associate with, all available as a Hob Splashback:

image.png.f82f8d01d480b826cc90715c812c7f79.png

image.png.6e956b8f7592a107b94791c74de24bd3.png

image.png.9db69603dd55f3f17b6e401042249f2b.png

image.png.4492af65de0e05b3a9e8905bc0ee22c5.png

image.png.17cc93ae9bf10059fdae3ed980641408.png

I

Wot, and no LDC splashback?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

4 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I must admit I did come across the Indian caste system at Bison s Iver works until then I thought it was well in the past.

Officially it is, but centuries of tradition do not disappear by fiat. I've seen it present in inter-personal relationships in companies in the US.

Furthermore, caste is not the primary form of discrimination in India - that would be to restrict it to Hindus. 

A colleague, born in India, worked in the US and returned to India liked to make the analogy that despite being the largest democracy in the world, India is a collection of nations, each with their own histories, languages, ethnic groups, cuisines and religions, bound together politically, not unlike Europe, but with a greater level of diversity.

There's coded information in people's names - like their mother tongue, homeland and religion, that are well understood in India and not necessarily perceived by people outside India. All these are potential sources of tribalism and discrimination.

Such tribalism is also observable in some US 'tech' companies where people who can read the code might make assertions of the existence (for example, and purely hypothetically speaking) of say a "Telegu mafia"* where a perhaps a cohort of Hyderabadis might reach senior management positions within a company.

* Others are available.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PupCam said:

In other news WRT:     Blackboards/Whiteboards etc.   

Frankly I despair of the ease of which offence can and is taken these days when none is intended or even thought of.   It's time the world got a grip!

Alan

The question is. Is it meant to offend? If it isn't then why bother?

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

3 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Well it has been a scorcheroo here, temperatures hitting 25C this afternoon!

I guess many things are relative. Here it was a delightful 26°C - no need to run the air-conditioner.

After our extreme heat wave broke, we've had consistently almost perfect summer weather for a week or so. Sadly, no rain for a month, or in the forecast, so the television weather presenters are in time-filling mode. The wildfire "smoke" forecast is a nightly thing, but last night two different channels took the educational route.

Apparently large wildfires (such as the "Bootleg" megafire in Southern Oregon, which has burned more than 225,000 acres and is the largest in the country right now) can create what are called pyrocumulonimbus clouds, also known as Cumulonimbus flammagenitus. Conditions are dry but whatever moisture exists in vegetation and soil in the burned area, evaporates in the fire. The updraft of the fire causes this to condense at high altitudes and form thunderstorms which can create dry lightning and possibly, new fires.

The fires literally create their own weather.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

I thought we were going to get some rain a couple of hours ago. There definitely was something coming down on the 3500 foot mountain about 5 miles north, and it looked as if it was moving towards us. The clouds made it, but no precipitation. The forecast is for rain overnight, though.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Lots of blue sky and sun here this morning. Good!

Off to umpire later but first I must let loose the shark for cleaning purposes as a visitor will be arriving later.

The bin team have visited the other side of the street already. They sem incapable of returning the wheelie bins anywhere but on the edge of the path around here. As a young student I had to collect full metal bins, empty them into the wagon and return them from whence they came...I must have been mad!

Time for my muhatea.

TTFN

Baz

• Like 18