The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

It is perfectly acceptable.  It is a board which is coloured black.  It makes no reference nor inference to the skin tone of any individual nor to any other "Protected Characteristics".  It is a simple statement of fact.  Even in the 1960s it was sometimes referred to as the "chalkboard" in school rather than by its colour yet a blackboard it was, is and remains.  

Agreed, but there were proponents (on the course) that suggested it was (subjectively) wrong.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Agreed, but there were proponents (on the course) that suggested it was (subjectively) wrong.

There always is! 

• Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

When I was in the initial stages of building Danemouth I was advised to paint the baseboard with blackboard paint as it has a nice matt finish and if the ballast or ash is chipped it's not obvious.

So I went looking for said paint and discovered it is now called "Chalkboard Paint".

Dave

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

There's always someone who will be offended. Whether that offence is taken notice of depends on the time and the person offended. If the person or the group is "tough " enough to take it, these days, they can lump it. If the group is one that has been or is persecuted, then one has to tip toe around any possible offence - whether that group takes offence or not. And once the law changed to favour a person who take offence (even if it is not meant), you'll find more people to take offence.

So in the 1970s Life of Brian was deemed offensive; these days, if you take offence at it, tough luck.*

However, look at the contortions we tie ourselves in re microaggressions of all sorts, safe spaces, no-platforming of people whose views "we" don't like and so on. We've lost the spirit that was exemplified by one of the French revolutionaries - I forget which - which can be paraphrased as I abhor your views but I will defend to the death your right to state them. (possibly before said person met Mme Guillotine)

* and it is very clever and very funny film.

EDIT - you can of course draw out opposite examples that draw out this point; the gay community was a persecuted minority in the 1970's but using terms such as gayboy  (  I was going to use another term but thought I had better not) as a perjorative  were regarded as mild - if you were offended back then, well tough. 

So the church is now regarded as powerful enough to deal with it - or perhaps inconsequential enough to ignore, whereas the gay community's worth is now realised - or perhaps that it is still an "under attack" area of society that needs protecting still. 

Hope that's not too political, it's intended to be an observation

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 16
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Now for Whiteboard…

discuss!

I did, on the last page....

But, inspired by that post, I decided to search 'whiteboard paint' - lo and behold:

https://www.first4magnets.com/other-c89/sketch-whiteboard-paint-by-magpaint-p15219#ab_1_108|ps_2_9672

However, a search for dry wipe marker board paint did not produce any products. Should I be offended........?

Anyway, we're getting dangerously close to politics et al, so I'll, button it :yes:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm waiting for a campaign to rename the offencebof blackmail. It'svoriginsvhave nothing to do with race but came from a group of thieves from Scotland wh didn't clean their chain mail and who demanded money from communities south of the birder, in return for not stealing their cattle. I wondervif Ms Sturgeon thinks that it is perjorative towatds Scots.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I have met those proponents also. At various times and in a wide range of situations. 

I was once (in 1984; I can be precise on the year because of the context) I was called out by a then-colleague Victor (now Lord, no less) Adebowale for using the expression “all tarred with the same brush”.  Because tar is black and by association this was considered a derogatory comment.   

I disagreed with his opinion then and still wonder if it is taking things beyond reasonable. But I have not knowingly used that expression again. 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

...However, look at the contortions we tie ourselves in re microaggressions of all sorts, safe spaces, no-platforming of people whose views "we" don't like and so on. We've lost the spirit that was exemplified by one of the French revolutionaries - I forget which - which can be paraphrased as I abhor your views but I will defend to the death your right to state them. (possibly before said person met Mme Guillotine)....

I could be quite scathing about the current situation in both the UK and the US (fortunately, this stupidity hasn't gained much traction in Switzerland, though there are those who do try...) but I just want to point out the following:

Whilst much of the Western world is tying itself in knots over what is/what is not "acceptable" (a list that changes almost on a daily basis and woe betide you if you find yourself on the wrong side....), there are foreign governments who are inimical to, if not overtly hostile to, our way of life and to what are (were?) our bloodily hard-earned freedoms, who have no truck with the sort of stupidity currently burdening the West. Such governments must be utterly gobsmacked (and probably cannot believe their luck) at how we are (almost literally) destroying so many of the great things of our own countries - whatever our country may be.

I hope your Mandarin is up to scratch.....

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2

I think a lot of this current wokeness is all another import from the US, another one we could do with out.

Segregation in the US is still in living memory just in not sure that it ever occoured here.

Slavery in the British Empire was abolished well before the American Civil war.

A lot of the problem is the so called snowflake generation that take offence to anything.

I wonder what they would make of the scene in til death us part where Alf Garnett and Marigold are in Sabus shop just after Mrs Garnett has died. It's hilarious in my opinion 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Slavery in the British Empire was abolished well before the American Civil war.

Only three decades or so earlier - not really that creditable, given that slavery was illegal in many states of the United States and indeed in England by the end of the previous century.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another do nothing day, only a trip to Tess Coes to get in supplies for the weekend. When I got home a couple of neighbours were cutting their grass and that set the hay fever off big time. With the floods in Germany I hope Dom and his family are OK, though Leipzig it appears is just getting a soaking.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11