The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

That's what they're supposed to do. along with things like crumple zones It's based on the strange principle that human beings are more valuable than cars.

There were very good reasons for making such bullbars illegal.

Motor vehicles are potentially lethal weapons and accidents inevitably happen so, quite frankly, anyone taking the attitude that they're going to ensure that anyone who collides with them is going to come out badly probably shouldn't be behind the wheel.

That is not the case, bull bars can do more damage but in my case it was other drivers being careless (opening doors without checking that it is safe to do so) or selfish and aggressive driving (forcing their way into traffic). Naturally I would prefer those accidents not to have happened as reporting it to my insurance and sometimes the police took time and effort. I always report any incident to my insurers after someone scraped their car on my stationary car (which wasn't damaged as it was on a bolt on the bumper that the other car came in contact with.) They subsequently claimed against my insurance and as I hadn't reported it they paid out although my car was stationary at the time.

4 hours ago, AndyB said:

Wisely GDB you have a hinged section of baseboard. I was looking for where you keep the first aid box before I spotted the hinge! :D

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

The flap drops down (as suggested by a certain Mr. Hippo IIRC)  but TBH Andy I normally crawl under it and so far haven't damaged my skull.....said he.....frantically crossing all digits because you just know what's going to happen next.  :banghead:

A bit of a dilemma, risk crawling under or not securing the flap and it dropping on your head.

• Like 16
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Also yesterday, the new "big corporation" I'm now part of deemed it necessary that I actually have  one of their Laptops, rather than use my own - something I've done for only the past 12 years <yawn>

Hardly a surprise surely? It will of course come loaded with the right firewall to protect you them from you visiting illicit places on the internet.

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... APPARENTLY the IT department are incapable of determining where I live still ... god help me if I need any REAL support/help :)

Likely they are not permitted to view your personal data by policy.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, pH said:

I believe today is the 31st consecutive day without precipitation.

Something very like that here too. Frankly the weather has been "just another day in paradise" lately*. We should hit about 26°C today under cloudless, sunny skies. Simply beautiful, but ...

* The flip side is of course drought, dry vegetation, increased fire danger and growing concerns over the potential for water shortages.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

.. previous (and current) Prime Ministers absent ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2021/07/15/approaching-boriss-fifty-thousand/

Was Lully’s unfortunate accident the reason conductors started using a baton instead of a staff it was it just something that happened for another reason?

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Its the British way!:rolleyes:

Brian

True!

Look at the complex customs regulations which have come into force, uniquely, I believe, to against for Europe as opposed to the rest of the world!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

I suspect our French co-respondent, @jamie92208 may be able to throw some "light" on this as he seems to have a lot of relays in his house wiring. Use a safe low voltage circuit to operate the relay which can then switch the mains power.

Yes I like relays and have many of them on my layout. The two that control the lighting are however 230v ones controlling a 230v circuit. They work well yhough as we have 5 sitch points for the lights in the passageway. As to switches etc in bathrooms it's actually a legal requirement  to have a mains socket in the room.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4