The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to post this:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mps-house-of-commons-richard-wheeler-government-derry-b945578.html

So a High Court Judge decrees that "Soldier F" is not to be named, yet an MP can do so.  Great.  All that t*sser has managed to do is make him a target for the rest of his life :angry:

• Agree 13

Another Shorts day by the feel of things already, some jobs to do and one involves removing removing a Bush, removing a Tree about 7ft tall. Planting the Bush where the Tree was, and the Tree where the Bush was.

Hope I don't get confused and put them back in the WRONG HOLES.

Off to the Bathroom and then a walk I think.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 19

44 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

More to the point what are Saturday’s winning lottery numbers? :jester:

Not tellin' :mosking:

More to the point, I'm now using a different device (laptop pc windows 10 and Chrome browser) - still shows page 10013 (now).

Edit:

May have sussed it; I can, by default, see hidden posts due to having limited moderator rights for another thread - maybe it is those which cause my page count to 'roll over' to the next when the previous has reached its 25 post limit.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was having a shout this morning but Nurofen has quietened him down. We're now on page 9999 so not long now to page10000.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Or a decent set of Bull-bars on the front.  Someone my Boss knew had a railway sleeper on the front of his Landrover in place of a bumper.

I once had a Suzuki SJ with a set of proper* bull bars on it. Over the couple of years I had it they accounted for a couple of carelessly opened car doors and quite a few front bumpers** . *The sort that were made illegal but as it was an early model and they were fitted from new I could keep them. **A lot of drivers pulling out of side turnings try to force their way out by creeping over the line forcing drivers on the main road to manoeuvre around them or stop, I did neither. Plastic bumpers just disintegrated. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

My landrover being 1984, has a nice set of Bull bars on the front, these are directly connected to the bumper which in itself is1/4 in galvanised steel connected directly to the galvanised Chassis . 

Banning the bull bars might make a difference to a nice soft, rounded, plastic fronted, Chelsea tractor, but to a built like a Brick S********e front of a landy, any skateboarder would be flattened either way.

Remarkably cars tend to give the landrover more leeway  than the Kia, a pair of rock sliders on the below the doors help too..

I've seen pictures of a landy with a section of rail used as a front bumper.. Effective but probably makes the steering somewhat heavy.. can't find a piccy of that so this will have to do..

OIP.jpg.4e35a6a59a2a82b11cc5fccb25a41d6c.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 19

Dry and sunny in North Somerset, and temperature already at 20C. 

I cut the back grass yesterday although it was still a bit damp under the trees. The grapes seem to have set ok, despite flowering during a spell of cool and cloudy weather. 

I think I will just vegetate in front of the Tour de France today, as it is going to be too warm for much outside activity. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Here in England’s northwest, it is rather dull at the moment, but quite warm, currently 16C. Charlie is due here this afternoon and as I am required for door answering services this morning, as Sheila will be up and down the stairs carrying clean laundry and might not get to the door in time. So, I will stay in and potter about in the cellar! After all, I still have A (one the singular there) cupboard to empty before it is moved outside. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

Edited by BSW01
Oops Typo
  • Like 18

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Forgot to post this:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mps-house-of-commons-richard-wheeler-government-derry-b945578.html

So a High Court Judge decrees that "Soldier F" is not to be named, yet an MP can do so.  Great.  All that t*sser has managed to do is make him a target for the rest of his life :angry:

According to the Beeb, soldier f’sname ‘has been plaster all over Free Derry Corner and has gone viral on social media’ .Still doesn’t make the MP’s publicity stunt acceptable.

Robert. 

• Agree 16

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Or a decent set of Bull-bars on the front.  Someone my Boss knew had a railway sleeper on the front of his Landrover in place of a bumper.

I

That should guarantee that any children they happen to hit are no longer a financial burden on their parents.

Good morning all

Dull and overcast here in W. London but I'm about to drive down to Hampshire where the forecasters are promising wall to wall sunshine....so I'll take a brolly .

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Pacific231G said:

That should guarantee that any children they happen to hit are no longer a financial burden on their parents.

Good morning all

Dull and overcast here in W. London but I'm about to drive down to Hampshire where the forecasters are promising wall to wall sunshine....so I'll take a brolly .

Actually a railway sleeper would be safer than the original bumper, the original bumper on a landrover is about 4 inches across of 1/4 galvanised steel , a railway sleeper is ten inches across of timber. So the impact loading  will be about 2/3 per square inch less and technically softer...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I once had a Suzuki SJ with a set of proper* bull bars on it. Over the couple of years I had it they accounted for a couple of carelessly opened car doors and quite a few front bumpers** . *The sort that were made illegal but as it was an early model and they were fitted from new I could keep them. **A lot of drivers pulling out of side turnings try to force their way out by creeping over the line forcing drivers on the main road to manoeuvre around them or stop, I did neither. Plastic bumpers just disintegrated. 

That's what they're supposed to do. along with things like crumple zones It's based on the strange principle that human beings are more valuable than cars.

There were very good reasons for making such bullbars illegal.

Motor vehicles are potentially lethal weapons and accidents inevitably happen so, quite frankly, anyone taking the attitude that they're going to ensure that anyone who collides with them is going to come out badly probably shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

That's what they're supposed to do. along with things like crumple zones It's based on the strange principle that human beings are more valuable than cars.

There were very good reasons for making such bullbars illegal.

Motor vehicles are potentially lethal weapons and accidents inevitably happen so, quite frankly, anyone taking the attitude that they're going to ensure that anyone who collides with them is going to come out badly probably shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Suzuki SJ designed somewhat before crumple zones and smooth shapes to protect pedestrians..

image.png.7216776f427d2ea7a07da470772df0a5.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Cloudy here with hints of blue sky but a warm and sunny afternoon is forecast with temperatures rising to 24°C.

Just been asked " What are we doing today?"  Short answer : "Don't know yet."  I didn't get to The Shed yesterday as after domestic engineering assistance I appear to have pulled a muscle* in my side which is somewhat painful.  I may try today but leaning over ballasting track might be a no no.

*somewhat surprised that there are still muscles lurking amongst the flab!  :whistle: Didn't lose any weight last week, I put on a pound. :banghead: Must try harder.  Problem is I'm already doing without all the nice things I like like beer, biscuits and cake along with beer, biscuits and cake and have cut down on other fuel.  More exercise would help but then The Hip and The Knee voice their objections too frequently.  Too much sitting down watching sport on TV I suppose which doesn't help in any way whatsoever.   T de F this afternoon.......and rugby tonight.   There is no hope for me.   :no:

Time for breakfast,  (porridge only)

Have a good one,

Bob.

Don't give up Bob.  A week is nothing in terms of losing weight.  Keep up the good work and I am sure you will do fine and also benefit from a sense of achievement. My strategy was always aiming for the next size down in clothing.  Sometimes confusing or frustrating as when you find out that you are still wearing the 'same' size but, in fact, it is actually smaller. I discovered this during a very cold snap over in East Anglia, where the temperatures were below freezing.  I wore an 'old' pair of jeans over a 'new' pair of jeans (same style, same brand) with a ridiculous amount of room between the two. They were both labelled the same size (number sizes as opposed S M L).  Fashion or shape-shifting or size tampering? It all goes on...! But I did enjoy reaching a 'smaller' size each time though it was not overnight!

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

44 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Suzuki SJ designed somewhat before crumple zones and smooth shapes to protect pedestrians..

image.png.7216776f427d2ea7a07da470772df0a5.png

Of course. It takes time for such improvements to become universal. (Wooden bodied carriages were still being used for decades after all steel coaches were introduced) It was people adding something that made things even worse that was made illegal.

Was it the SJ that had a nasty habit of overturning or was that another make?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Of course. It takes time for such improvements to become universal. (Wooden bodied carriages were still being used for decades after all steel coaches were introduced) It was people adding something that made things even worse that was made illegal.

Was it the SJ that had a nasty habit of overturning or was that another make?

Morgan still use ash framed cars though with a steel chassis as they always have.

The USA Consumers Union got sued by Suzuki for claiming the SJ / Jimney / Samurai  would roll over, after some court battles and a slight step back by CU, it all ended up as a score draw..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Wisely GDB you have a hinged section of baseboard. I was looking for where you keep the first aid box before I spotted the hinge! :D

The flap drops down (as suggested by a certain Mr. Hippo IIRC)  but TBH Andy I normally crawl under it and so far haven't damaged my skull.....said he.....frantically crossing all digits because you just know what's going to happen next.  :banghead:

• Like 19