The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It's still raining here and I'm bored silly i have have that much to do outside.

I cant start with unmentionable things until I have various jobs done including clearing the garage out to make way for the aforementioned.

Further to my last post re John Poulson there were rumours that surfaced a couple of years ago that regular visitors to his house and swimming pool were Jimmy Savile and Peter Jaconelli I shudder to think what would have gone on

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon all.

I had a perfectly dry walkies this morning but in the past half hour it's been chucking it down following and accompanied by a few cracks of thunder (I've not seen any actual lightning yet) but its solid cloud with embedded CB.  The street outside is flooded already and the way it's pouring from my gutters reminds me that I've not cleaned them recently!

I spoke too soon, large lightning flash with an almighty thunder clap  < 1 sec later so it's almost on top now.

Time to get the Northolt and Heathrow METAR and TAF.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

25 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Just looked at the Solent Airport webcam and its downchucking it there. The rain here is easing so time for tea and cake (but not teacake)

A close family member is seriously ill and in hopsital since Saturday so I'm trying to distract myself. 

Back to spittin here. no more BANGS and clattering of Tin Dustbin Lids from above.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Weather here is rain, sun, rain, sun, its confused the hell out of the Windows weather thingy. A list of schools and places I worked is below.

Maylands Avenue infants school, Elm Park. Still there but original buildings replaced. School renamed?

Rainsford Junior School Hornchurch. Main building still standing and in use. Renamed.

Hylands boys secondary modern. Malvern Road, Hornchurch. Now a gated housing estate.

Kearly & Tonge Ltd. Mitre Square, City of London. Demolished and rebuilt twice. K&T now part of Morrisons.

Post Office Counters, various post offices in and around Romford. Based at the main post office in South Street, Romford of which only the front wall remains held up by a block of flats. Most of the other post offices I worked in have now gone with the remaining buildings re-purposed.

Hall & Co. South Street, Romford. A new built office block about 50 yards from the post office on the same side of the street. AFAIK its still there. Whilst there I witnessed the fire that destroyed the old ECR wagon works at Gidea Park c.1967, that was two miles away. The wagon works was used as a furniture factory, all that paint, varnish, glue and wood made good fuel.

Back to the GPO, telephones this time in old exchange at Seven Kings. Replaced by flats.

Dagenham Civic Centre, 1970-2008 Building remains (Grade II* listing) Now leased out to an 'academy'.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Ben the I hate thunder Collie has just run and hidden in his safe place, I've not heard anything, but it's getting seriously darker.

Poulson I believe was involved with the construction of the barrack blocks on  Benbecula, a triple story steel framed concrete panelled  prefab facing the Atlantic Ocean . It sways in the wind enough for the water to slosh around in the toilets..

I was just wandering around the net and found.. .AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL ETHNOGRAPHY OF 

HISTORIC COLD WAR RADAR SITES IN THE UK

That's the radar sites I worked on covering the period I worked at them. Yep part of my life is now archaeology..

I see NHN has an outbreak of effin clowns. As in effin clown town idiots wandering around the middle of the  A road as they were today.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

9 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

... its not as bad as New York The rain is so bad the Subway is flooding

I believe that is from last week's tropical storm Elsa. Unusual (from the historical perspective) but perhaps the "new normal" - like the heat and drought in the west.

Hurricane Sandy was worse - it involved a storm surge and damaged a lot of properties next to the water in places like Staten Island.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

The energy  incorporated in a large building is enormous so reusing and refurbishing existing ones makes far better sense  as would dismantling rather than demolishiing buildings that genuinely aren't suitable for further use. 

Particularly so if the new construction involves a lot of concrete - one of the largest energy consumers and CO2 producers (as a chemical reaction, not just the fuel for the drying kilns) that people rarely think about.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Evening awl, for to call it good is inappropriate!

Thunderous noises off, but no sign of anything strikingly illuminating, cats and dogs seem to be raining; just hope it doesn't turn to calling (hailing) a cab!

Managed to get home in the dry exhausted and ongoing health problems much evident. A visit is scheduled to my ""second home"" tomorrow afternoon for an ultrasound scan.

Well, I managed until about 08:05 this morning to avoid the result of some contest that took place yesterday and, in catching up, for I did not check in this morning as usual, I note:

On 11/07/2021 at 19:33, simontaylor484 said:

I am sick of hearing about kickball

23 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I received a message earlier asking me to avoid calling a particular friend between 8-10pm tonight as he would be "watching an important match".  I replied that Djokovich had already won ;)  The response I received cannot be repeated here!  I'm assuming he isn't allowing for overtime or the whack-a-'keeper shoot-out.

We all have our priorities. You chose tennis, I would probably have gone for a cricket team; elsewhere, a Rugby team may have taken favour!

16 hours ago, BR60103 said:

A few years ago I read where only a very small proportion of the stories about an certayne game included the word "football", making them tricky to look up on the interweb. I sometimes check them and it's true.

I also find that many of the headlines are incomprehensible to a non-follower of the stuff.

If someone asks me about the game, I usually say "Oh, who's playing?"

12 hours ago, polybear said:

It seems that sh1t has been directed in their general directions already.  :angry:  No surprises there, then.  Hopefully it'll not affect them overly, or for too long.  It's a game FFS.

Unfortunately, heads will roll as the 11 performance artistes on the pitch at any one time failed to deliver.

I believe the German term for such a period of 'entertainment' is "fußball"; given a slight adaptation of this into English, (for those unaware, "ß" is equivalent to "ss"), might I suggest Fuss Ball?

2 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Just looked at the Solent Airport webcam and its downchucking it there.

Out of pure curiosity, pray tell where said Solent Airport is located; having blood ancestry on both sides of the Solent, I can not envisage which this one is. A link to the webcam could also be useful, please!

29 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Whilst I am moaning about the rain its not as bad as New York The rain is so bad the Subway is flooding 

As Petula Clark said: "Don't Sleep in the Subway"; doesn't it make the bread soggy?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I'll spare you the litany of schools and workplaces - most of them are extant, though I believe some of the university buildings have been razed and replacements raised.

The location of my first real job in Southern California is gone. I was last in the area a few years ago and it was strange to see the site of the building where I had worked for five years completely leveled. Google street view now shows an enormous new apartment / condominium complex (built on the old employee parking lot). The apartments are under construction in the current "satellite" view.

The building had nothing of architectural significance. My cubicle was in the back against a window wall. The 'view' was a grassy space in front of storage of a lot of really hazardous chemicals for the manufacturing facility. From the Google views the chemicals are still there. I wonder whether the tenants of the new apartments know.

Interestingly, the open field across the street, is still an open field.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Whilst I am moaning about the rain its not as bad as New York The rain is so bad the Subway is flooding 

Not only New York, Regents Park station was also closed due to flooding today.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I believe that is from last week's tropical storm Elsa. Unusual (from the historical perspective) but perhaps the "new normal" - like the heat and drought in the west.

Hurricane Sandy was worse - it involved a storm surge and damaged a lot of properties next to the water in places like Staten Island.

Hurricane Sandy damaged the Subway too particularly the line to Rockaway and some sub surface stations were also damaged

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Rail services are disrupted here due to flooding at Southampton Central Station and in the tunnel, also betweeen Eastleigh and Fareham.  I was in Eastleigh earlier but missed the worst, despite several claps of thunder.  My back stormwater drain was bunged up earlier with moss and ash seeds.  Unfortunately the only down pipe from the gutters of our terrace of four houses goes into my drain!  I have a pointy stick for such events.

• Friendly/supportive 18

Thanks for sharing that clip of Johnny Rotten @polybear I had seen it before, there was a similar interview with Bill Oddie.

Over the last couple of weeks someone suggested using prickly shrub cuttings to stop cats carping in some planters. I am pleased to report back after using some pyracanthus clippings the cat has not returned. I cant remember who it was that gave that advice but Thank you anyway it works

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2