The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

ensure their bases aren't significantly marked from being used on the old cooker as this may lead to scratches on the new hob. 

Lakeland have what you need - an Induction Hob Protector which comes recommended by the boss of the kitchen - I keep well out of her way when she's in cooking and baking mode !  Only problem we have with it is that the cat likes to sleep on top of the hob so the protector gets covered in cat hair - but it's washable so gets cleaned regularly.

Click Here for Link to Lakeland Hob Protector

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Dull, damp and misty here in North Somerset. Probably quite fitting given the activities of Sunday evening. 

I watched 2 hours of rather tedious football where (as far as I can remember) not a single shot on target was produced by an England striker. At the thought of the game going to penalties I switched off the telly and went to bed. 

However, I guessed that things had not gone well by the general silence from outside while I lay there and drifted off. I'm afraid that most England footballers will never win a penalty shot out because of the extreme pressure put on them by the media in the weeks before the game. They can probably score in training every time, because the pressure is off; but wall to wall media nonsense is not conducive to keeping one's nerve. 

On the night, the best team won - so congratulations to Italy. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, polybear said:

I'm kinda hoping that a subsequent test via the local dump might be arranged.  It's been a few years (4+) since Bear has been grovelling under a car doing brakes, so I'm expecting pain will be involved.....

Hmm not certain there PB don't think they would accept you. Not much market for 'used' Bears.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

The rain has stopped and there's now a strange shining object in the sky. My first job (1964) was working in a Victorian building that was demolished about ten years later and replaced by a glass and concrete edifice that in turn has now been demolished and replaced by a skyscraper. The original buildings address had some notoriety as it (Mitre Square) had been the site where Jack the Ripper had murdered Katherine Eddows. The square has been obliterated in the latest rebuilding.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmm not certain there PB don't think they would accept you. Not much market for 'Self-Abused' Bears.

Corrected.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning. 
I think all the places I have worked at still exist and are in use for their original purpose. The first two factories where my mother worked were both bombed. I think her next job working in a shop involved less risk of destruction. 
Tony

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

I think a lot of my workplaces still exist but at least 5 of them have been demolished. 1 because of concrete cancer, 2 for housing and at least 1 as part of a PFI deal. Surprisingly the oldest one, Dewsbury Road in Leeds, is still in use as offices.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

Job & site history*:

1st GEC Telecommunications Spon St Coventry - company gone. building gone

2nd BAe Warton - extant

3rd Metro Cammell Washwood Heath - company gone, building gone

4th Shorrock Security Systems Blackburn -  company gone, building rebuilt

5th Siemens Transport Systems Poole - extant

6th Shorrock Security Systems Blackburn -  company gone, building rebuilt

7th Bombardier Transportation Derby - company gone, building extant

8th Converteam Rugby - company gone, building extant

9th ESG Derby -  company gone, building extant

10th (and probably last) Siemens Mobility Derby - extant

* excludes some short term agency jobs when otherwise 'between' jobs 7&8

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, leopardml2341 said:

Job & site history*:

2nd BAe Warton - extant

3rd Metro Cammell Washwood Heath - company gone, building extant

4th Shorrock Security Systems Blackburn -  company gone, building extant

5th Siemens Transport Systems Poole - extant

6th Shorrock Security Systems Blackburn -  company gone, building extant

7th Bombardier Transportation Derby - company gone, building extant

8th Converteam Rugby - company gone, building extant

9th ESG Derby -  company gone, building extant

10th (and probably last) Siemens Mobility Derby - extant

* excludes some short term agency jobs when otherwise 'between' jobs 7&8

I think that the Washwood Heath building may well gave gone. It's going to be the site of the big HS2 depot. At least still in railway use.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

My brother worked there. Allegedly it was the second highest fire risk site (whatever that meant)  in Coventry. One day there was an announcement that following a fire elsewhere they were now the top site. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I think that the Washwood Heat building may well gave gone. It's going go be the site of the big HS2 depot. At least still in railway use.

Jamie

Indeed it has:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Washwood+Heath,+Birmingham/@52.4990328,-1.8490389,567m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870bad89bdd3425:0x9b2b9e9a726f4f7b!8m2!3d52.5004565!4d-1.8267882

Post duly edited.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5