The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, southern42 said:

It looks like I may have made a mistake by using the 'wrong' (well known modelling brand) varnish - rather than the one the transfer sheets came with. So, it is start again and try it out.  Fingers crossed.

I usually leave the decal for 24 hours before applying my first (thin) coat of varnish. A second coat is thin added around 12 hours later. For varnish I use artist (Windsor and Newton) grade UV and water resistant acrylic, it’s never let me down. It isn’t expensive (£5.95 for 75ml) and a bottle lasts quite a long time and they are available in Matt, Satin or Gloss finish. 

I always use the matt varnish when making card buildings as it stops the printed paper fading.

Edited by BSW01
Add price and size
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

Morning All

At the risk of wandering into forbidden territory, it's worth noting that the course of today's stage of the Tour de France follows the course of three interesting railways for about half its length. The départ is from Céret,  a town that may be the terminus of some kind of train touristique  (though you're unlikely to see much of that) and the route then runs north west to Boultill it turns west south west alongside the route of line from Perpignan to Villefranche - Vernet-les-Bains, a single track branch line which it crosses on level crosings three time . It then continue to follow the entire route (how closely I can't tell from my Michelin) of SNCF's metre gauge Ligne des Cevennes   which is third rail electrified (plenty of hydro power in the Pyrenees so a lot of early electrification)  which has spectacular scenery  and a rare example of a Gisclard suspension bridge (which they're bound to show during an ad break) The metre gauge terminate at La Tour de Carol which is the border junction with RENFE on the inland route to Barcelona, a station with three gauges, (is that uinique?) and one that the Tour route normally passes quite close to. The route then follows the SNCF main(ish) line towards Toulouse that runs just inside the French border before finally peeling of towards Andorra - the only time this tour leaves France. 

I've noticed that though for obvious reasons there were far fewer railways  in the mountains than on flatter ground, the route often follows them for far longer: there are only so many routes through mountainous terrain.

David,

You can't have had your coffee yet today: Cerdagne not Cevennes.

The road is close to the railway almost all the way but often not that visible as on rock ledges. 

And there is a well-known 3-gauge station in Austria (in the Voralburg but I am having a senior moment).

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

David,

You can't have had your coffee yet today: Cerdagne not Cevennes.

The road is close to the railway almost all the way but often not that visible as on rock ledges. 

And there is a well-known 3-gauge station in Austria (in the Voralburg but I am having a senior moment).

Oops, wrong side of France.

Though you often don't see much of the railway from the road the helicopters will and there are two level crossings of the Cerdagne.

Despite having been on all three which required spending a memorable night in the Hotel Bahnhoff (on a folding bed in a large bathroom as they'd run out of rooms) I'd forgotten about Jenbach in the Tyrol which has the ÖBB main line between Innsbruck and Salzburg, the terminus of the metre gauge Achenseebahn on the north side and that of the 760mm Zillertalbahn on the south side. Apart from the steam locos my chief memory of the Zillertalbahn were the relentless adverts for Jägermeister on every vertical surface of every carriage. 

According to Wiki, Jenbach is the only triple gauge station in Austria thiough there may have been others.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The day stared out dull, but the sun is trying to shine as I type this. Sunday means breakfast in bed so up a little later than planned. The kitchen is currently occupied as Sheila is doing some ironing , but once she has finished, I shall start to make the cheesecake for tonight’s desert. A white chocolate and almond topping has yet to be made, but that only takes about 20 minutes to do, then it’s put it in the fridge for a few hours to set. As for the curry, I made the sauce on Friday, so all I have to do is cook the rice, pilau, but that only so a few spices to prepare followed by dicing the cook the chicken, before adding the sauce. 

I will not be watching the the kickball tonight, as I will be on the phone talking to my brother in Canada. We usually call each other every 4 weeks at 8 o’clock (our time) and generally can’t for an hour or so, so I will mis the first half completely. Although if England scores I will know by the shouts from our neighbours (both sides) as they are kickball nuts!

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

There are some places in the British Isles that can or could have boasted three gauges. Laxey on Fraggle Rock for example. Not only does it have the MER and Snaefell Railway but the mines pumped out by the famous wheel had their own system running alongside and in a tunnel beneath the MER. IIRC the gauge was two feet. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There are some places in the British Isles that can or could have boasted three gauges. Laxey on Fraggle Rock for example. Not only does it have the MER and Snaefell Railway but the mines pumped out by the famous wheel had their own system running alongside and in a tunnel beneath the MER. IIRC the gauge was two feet. 

Its still operating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Laxey_Mine_Railway

Even smaller gauge than I thought.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Good afternoon Awl, for it now seems to be thus.

Currently dry outside so trimming of hedge may be achieved.

Regarding something happening later, one colleague has already booked tomorrow off but there will be no surprise if he phones in on Tuesday!

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

We had a great party and 3 of the youngest and bravest went into the Pool for a dip but all said it was a little chilly.

Wimps!

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Back to Daughters for morning coffee and to collect some left overs.

A large Chiller Bag filled with Savoury's and some cake, PLUS the half of the BIG Birthday cake, that should last until Tuesday.:D

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Good afternoon Awl, for it now seems to be thus.

Currently dry outside so trimming of hedge may be achieved.

Regarding something happening later, one colleague has already booked tomorrow off but there will be no surprise if he phones in on Tuesday!

Wimps!

Don't know whats happening but it only shows the first 24 seconds of the clip.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Raining! At least I brought the washing in in time.

VirginGalactic now Live at 3.30pm...

Right, then. mugadecaf then do some decals...

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Not caught up - not by a long way - but did manage to pick up Polybear's post about Gordon S taking a turn for the worse - so sorry to hear this news - he has been around since the very early days of RMWeb, and I recall his posts here and on Eastwood Town. 

Two of my least favourite words were uttered today - G (rout)  and the more normal G word - the bathroom grout did need touching up, and I couldn't believe it when I actually volunteered to do a bit in the other G - I must be sickening for something.

Oh and I also managed to get conned recruited into Amazon Prime, as they appear to have made the checkout more awkward to avoid this, and next thing I know was an email from them saying I was now a prime member - NO I AM NOT - the link to the unsubscibe is not so big and obvious.  I have unsubscribed now, and my "membership" will expire in 28 days - so I may as well take advantage of the free next day delivery for the next 28 days, then I will, I think, wave ta-ta to Amazon unless I REALLY need to use them.  I do find that most Amazon sellers also have a presence on eBay.  I had a run on with them when a "nearly new" cassette radio CD broke down, and I eventually got a response that they would not replace or refund as it was (allegedly) only guaranteed for six months, and that the manufacturer's guarantee should be utilised instead - yes there was one, but by then, I couldn't be a*sed to pursue it for £45.  The CD and the radio still work, just the cassette was busted, so it now does a turn in the garage and garden.

Result of Mr Branson's forthcoming flight, and the forthcoming footie are of no interest whatever here, though we will probably be able to follow the progress of the latter via the neighbours.

Sunday dinner was meant to be an instant chicken dinner for two, but the new freezer is so effective that they are not yet defrosted, so am omelette will suffice for both of us - I am very good at them - more like a Chinese foo yung with lots of bits in it.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

53 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Don't know whats happening but it only shows the first 24 seconds of the clip.

True!

This lunatic has recently updated his pages and things have gone astray! What I had hoped to portray was him up to his neck in a water hole cut from the ice! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCegf3KjxhVEYWmWsx48AY6w

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, polybear said:

422127011_IMG_17761.JPG.27368eb06caa9c3ddc3e9004fcec2334.JPG

I see Bear has found his old chemistry set! :jester:

6 hours ago, polybear said:

…Or is Bear giving away LDC?  Be serious....

Given the amount of E-numbers, synthetic additives and so on in such mixes, wouldn’t “giving away LDC” be akin to chemical dumping? So it’s good to see Bear exhibiting his green credentials by not releasing such things into the environment. :jester::diablo_mini:

6 hours ago, polybear said:

a certain Airline owner hoping to become a spaceman - apparently you can watch proceedings here:

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Whether or not you like the guy or not, it'll certainly be some achievement - and beating a certain Mr Bezos to the crown does have a certain appeal.....

Would it be terribly uncharitable of me to point out the high failure rate of new-design-rocket launches before all the technology is fully embedded in? :O

5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

….Litter is one of the first things we notice when we go to the UK, Heysham not being the tidiest of places.  And yes Andy, its all about parenting.

As a part-Brit living abroad and only visiting sporadically, the deterioration of the UK is very noticeable (and I say that with great sadness as I am proud of being 50% British [English-Irish to be pedantic]). But you who are living through these minute but cumulative changes, nothing seems to have changed much as the decline is incremental.

Compared with a great many countries, Britain is shabbier, the populace more asocial, general health poorer (one of the “world leaders” for obesity and Type II Diabetes!), with fewer opportunities for young people and it has a tolerance for incompetence at all levels of society almost without parallel (as often referred to in ER posts).

Of course NO country is perfect (especially those countries who think of themselves as such), but I think Britain is almost unique in its willingness to abandon those things that, in the past, allowed Britain to “punch above its weight”. An abandonment prompted by crass (and cynical) short-term political and commercial opportunism. Fortunately, there are still many in the UK that still adhere to the ethos of social and personal responsibility, but I fear such a sense of responsibility is being increasingly marginalised (and frequently by those who are well insulated - by money, power and position - from the consequences of their cynical short-term political and commercial opportunism). It may not end well.

5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

The guy is doing it himself with friends and family and after watching his antics on the roof yesterday it seems only a matter of time before there is a mishap….

Call it “evolution in action”! :jester::diablo_mini:
So, Bob, pull up a comfy chair, grab a big bag of popcorn and a beverage of choice, sit back and watch the mayhem ensue… :chok_mini: :biggrin_mini2:

Have fun, folks!

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had plenty of cars where leaks weren't a problem, it all ran out through the holes in the floor.:jester: Mind you it was advisable not to drive through water splashes or large puddles.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/07/2021 at 15:00, New Haven Neil said:

Saved me correcting you, Phil!

Actually been there (Laxey) today, as we went for a head cleansing trip oop t'mountain, where it was.....fresh....

864043195_20210711_1107261.jpg.1f2fc4fea259cd5bedda010d9b891877.jpg

It was a bit like that when I went there too, I'd hiked up and caught the SMR down.  I scarcely saw any of the six kingdoms.

p1040777.jpg.3404fff1d9c5d6cd80f433020156fec0.jpg

Edited by Adam88
restored lost photo
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've had plenty of cars where leaks weren't a problem, it all ran out through the holes in the floor.:jester: Mind you it was advisable not to drive through water splashes or large puddles.

I want one!! :jester:

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Would it be terribly uncharitable of me to point out the high failure rate of new-design-rocket launches before all the technology is fully embedded in?

A risky endeavour to be sure, but it is the 22nd* flight of the Unity spacecraft. The programme was much delayed after a fatal accident of the earlier prototype.

* 5 spaceflights attempted with 4 successful mission profiles - the first was 2018.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8