The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good Evening as it seems currently.

Only one observation:

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It may well be the case that those show show hostility are conspicuous by their doing so while most people are either supportive or quietly neutral on the subject.  

Clapham Junction gained a blue plaque with a rainbow around it recently to mark the time when Oscar Wilde was subjected to homophobic abuse there whilst in transit between Wandsworth and Reading jails.  It attracts some attention; it is often photographed and sometimes the subject of abusive comments in its own right.  It has had to be cleaned of spray-paint once or twice despite being sited in full view of two CCTV cameras and platform staff.  Not everyone is happy to accept such things in the public eye nor to accept the inclusive society we hope to have in 2021.  But most people are simply curious and a few comment positively that it is good to see.  

Our regular "trainbow" unit 444019 appears most days on Weymouth line duties, and occasionally to Portsmouth.  It too attracts a level of attention which within my knowledge spans the range from "Oh wow" via "That's good to see" through to "I'm NOT travelling on THAT thing" - so far only two comments of the latter nature are known to have been made.  

https://attitude.co.uk/article/new-rainbow-plaque-unveiled-commemorating-when-oscar-wilde-was-a-victim-of-homophobic-abuse-in-1895-1/21432/?fbclid=IwAR3P_G4mSLUWLvowoewIPQO0-2oVDUapE9ylO_T2uwltcgw800QQXJxSR3M

I'll be back.  Best wishes to one and all.

There are far too many with their own soapboxes! (From both factions!)

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Comment withdrawn!

Was it something I said? ;) 

It is time for an evening stroll by the river.  The lung-boxes need refreshing.  The legs need stretching.  At least the sky has ceased dribbling.  

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

We drove to Enfield to MiL. The A13 was closed. The route planner suggested our usual A127 route to the M25 had a lot of stationary traffic so we headed towards Chelmsford and went via the A12 to the motorway. Much further but supposedly quicker today. We went today as MiL will be busy tomorrow watching the Wimbledon men’s final. No diversions on the way home. The M25 wasn’t busy but there seemed to be a lot of people doing 55mph in the third lane totally oblivious to the empty lanes to their left. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

36 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We went today as MiL will be busy tomorrow watching the Wimbledon men’s final.

Did she not also watch the Ladies' Final? ;) (I did. Happy result there.)

Another staggeringly beautiful day today. Warm, but should just stay under 30°C. Making me feel inadequate for not getting out and doing something in the sunshine, besides my daily constitutional.

EDIT:

Climate change is at it again, with a curious outcome of the recent heatwave:

CNN: Extreme heat cooked mussels, clams and other shellfish alive on beaches in Western Canada

We're having similar problems here and in Washington. (Also Seattle Times.)

Such shellfish (oysters, mussels, geoducks, etc) are a big part of the littoral ecology, economy and cuisine here. I doubt there will be much fresh northwest oysters available this year and maybe they will soon disappear forever.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added news of shellfish die-off
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Being Essex born and bred I know most of the short cuts to avoid traffic hold ups. A good few years ago my model railway club borrowed a transit minibus to take some visitors to Mangapps and being one of the few members with a minibus on his licence was asked to drive. I took the minibus down some narrow lanes were the hedgerows were brushing both sides of the minibus. Surprised a couple of members who went in their own cars who shot off ahead by arriving ahead of them as well.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Did she not also watch the Ladies' Final? ;) (I did. Happy result there.)

I was quite surprised that MiL didn’t but she often doesn’t watch women’s tennis.  

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, polybear said:

Flex fittings?  Have been known to let go with age.  Bear has just had to use a couple under the kitchen sink, though not out of choice.  I was VERY careful to ensure the bends were VERY gentle, with no twist on the flexi either.  I've also got a water leak/flood alarm under the sink unit, just in case.....

I've had to use two when replacing items but both are in visible locations. One is in a ground floor toilet, the other in an en-suite which is due for a total refit as soon as I can be bothered to find a decent plumber. 

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

she often doesn’t watch women’s tennis

I'll happily watch either a men's or women's match. Women's matches (in the major tournaments) are usually a much shorter duration which can be a plus compared to a long five-setter.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

some visitors to Mangapps

I have just followed the brown place of interest road signs on visits there. I haven’t been since getting a car with sat nav though. I have just looked at Google maps suggested route and it isn’t the one I have always taken. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

You have touched upon one of my pet hates - litter. Why are the British/english- whatever you call the inhabitants of this septered isle, so free with litter. It isn't the case on the continent. What is it with us. There can be a bin within easy reach and we still drop it. What's more we moan about it but don't do anything about it. If everyone picked c up one piece of litter when they were out and about there wouldn't be any.

Sorry but I did warn you it was one of my pet hates.

Sorry, but  I feel education starts at home. Just my two penneth.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bl00dy Hell, it's 23-20 - much later and Bear will be in danger of turning into a Hippo......:jester:

Spent too much time drooling over models for sale on another thread I think and spending lemon drizzle tokens. You’d better borrow a tin and get that other type of kit made.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It was still raining after I had finished eating dinner, so I only went outside to lock up the shed and workshop. I then came back inside and spent the afternoon in the cellar, where I built the last shelving unit for the underfloor storage area. I shall put it in place next week, as I shall be busy tomorrow. I’ve got to get the chicken ready for tomorrow nights curry and I also want to make a Bakewell tart cheesecake for desert. I made the base this afternoon, so all I have to do is make the filling. 

Saturday night is usually film night, so we opened a bottle of Malbec and watched ‘The Vanishing’, which was a fictional story based on the true event, of 3 lighthouse keepers going missing of the Scottish coast, it was quite a good film and was very well acted. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Very long day at the office today due to rain. Didn't start at 1pm due to rain..once we got going a 46 overs a side game seemed possible. After tea.. it rained.. for 30 minutes. Thie meant we still had 46 overs a side but we didn't finish until after 8pm. PAH!  Good game, very close but got a bit tetchy late in the day.

Pizza and a glass or two of red rounded off the evening.

I hate litter.. we are, in the UK, very lazy about litter in a general sense. Fast food chains have a bit to answer for.. but litter is everywhere...

Baz

• Like 14
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Phone 'em up and ask if they need any help.....

:laugh:

I could phone and ask if there was anything they could help me with :jester: 

They seemed to be doing quite fine all by themselves thank you very much :blush:

Good morning all.  A very VERY early call today.  Not quite 1am and strictly speaking I'm still up from yesterday but let's not get into details.  Having started the day slow and late I am not now ready for bed.  Muggercoffy and marmite toast have been enjoyed.  An hour ago it was a glass of Jura 10 year-old in celebration of a friend achieving her First Class Honours in "Strength and Conditioning".   Her intended career path is Physioterrorist and we wish her all the best.  

The kickballing mob are still partying somewhere.  Goodness knows whether they will have any voice left tomorrow but they'll cope somehow.  There has been singing for several hours now apparently coming from local hostelries and perhaps a private party or three.  

Best wishes to one and all.  Happy Sunday.  

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7