The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

a stone thrown from a passing vehicle managed to ding the windscreen and a crack now covers fully half of the screen from the door pillar midway up right across the drivers field of vision.

This is also happening here in the Seattle area on I5.  Early morning is a dangerous time to be driving under bridges. The SPD have caught one miscreant but there are copy cats already as the rocks are still flying!:angry:

Brian.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, polybear said:

On another occasion, the guy who sat opposite me got a call that one of his team had fallen down a companionway ladder on an RN ship at Portsmouth  (not funny); details were still sketchy but "back injuries" were reported.  He flagged it up to Occy Health, who immediately summoned him.  He came back some time later totally lost for words - he was expecting OH to tell him what support could be offered to the injured party & family, such as perhaps driving his wife down to the hospital at Pompey if necessary etc. etc.

Nope, not a bit of it.  Instead he was lectured for 20 minutes, being told what he could say/couldn't say/must do/mustn't do etc. etc. in order to minimise any risk of litigation against the company.  Barstewards.

They tried to do that were I worked where there had been an accident. Someone had witnessed an accident and they tried to browbeat him into saying it was not the fault of the council department. I was there as union rep and I just placed a copy of the health and safety at work act on the table and they soon changed their tune.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They tried to do that were I worked where there had been an accident. Someone had witnessed an accident and they tried to browbeat him into saying it was not the fault of the council department. I was there as union rep and I just placed a copy of the health and safety at work act on the table and they soon changed their tune.

All that sounds very familiar a collegue had a fall at work they tried to blame him for it. Until they got their solicitors involved

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

That sort of thing got out of hand at the A&M University in Texas as what started as a simple bonfire ended up over the years as a serious bit of civil engineering.  Of course one year it all went very horribly wrong.

Just Googled it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Aggie_Bonfire_collapse

Twelve killed - and they were still building it....

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

All that sounds very familiar a collegue had a fall at work they tried to blame him for it. Until they got their solicitors involved

The council I worked for it depended on which department you were dealing with. Some were very good but some were awful and tried to avoid their responsibilities. One in particular the head of department gave jobs to her cronies and promoted them above the people who should have been promoted. I can't go into details but a complaint went in from the union and there was a few resignations including the head of department.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 3

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

@Pacific231G Your memory chip is failing I'm afraid, the goliath carne wasn't scrapped until the mid 70's.  A pal actually tendered for it, but didn't get the gig.  There's the wee Ruston again!  A steal from the interweb, this view often pops up.  The rails are indeed still in place, but totally rotted and delaminating, I wouldn't trust them to support very much at all.

crane.jpg.091a8736e0e1fd575295db57e3c38e23.jpg

As Baz said, the line dumpers were at Blackhall, some 14 miles or so south.

Evening all.

Curious. My memory of the pier from 1970 must have been overlaid by my memory of it from later visits but I really didn't think I'd seen the goliath and I'm sure I'd have noticed a steam driven crane. (I assume that, like dockside travelling cranes, it was far too large to have ever been removed for overhaul) It also occurs to me that the railway might have not been disused at all in 1969/70 but simply not in operation whenever I went there, though that was quite often.

Blackhall makes sense for the dumper as I sometimes used the "Economical" bus to get to other parts of the coast south of Shields but never did the same for the Northumberland coast.

On hard hats, The Bowler hat (known as the Derby in America)  was invented in Britain, probably in 1849 by Thomas and William Bowler,  as protective headgear for horse riders and was also particularly popular with railway workers, for both it stayed on the head in strong winds (such as those experienced on a moving train)

http://www.historyofhats.net/hat-history/history-of-bowler-hat/

I've also seen photos of them being worn by ship's captains - particularly of coasters (and not just Para Handy!) .

It served that function untl at least the 1920s and was actually worn by more people in the American West than the Stetson. Lucius Beebe (Mixed Train Daily etc.) called it "The hat that won the West".

The Hat That Won the West -1957

• Like 16

24 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The council I worked for it depended on which department you were dealing with. Some were very good but some were awful and tried to avoid their responsibilities. One in particular the head of department gave jobs to her cronies and promoted them above the people who should have been promoted. I can't go into details but a complaint went in from the union and there was a few resignations including the head of department.

Again sounds familiar reward for failure. 

We had an officer who had been sacked from the crematorium for playing the wrong song after the funeral. He came to us ,he was meant to source wood for the Council organised bonfire in Wakefield instead of getting it from our transfer loading station which would have been dry he got some from somewhere else it was wet through and the bonfire wouldn't light and had to be abandoned. He was last heard of as being an education welfare officer.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear watched the start of the kickball, and the end.  Can't be arsed to watch it all as had other things to do.  I'll say no more regarding what happened, as some may yet to watch it and don't want to know whodunnit.

Whereas I did more painting in the kitchen and watched it dry; far more interesting than any ball game.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 6