The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Perfectly good reason for not watching shunting. You'd probably have lost her attention.

The rails for the goliath were still there when I saw it but, unless my memory is tricking me, the crane itself had been scrapped by Sept. 1969 when I arrived.

I did see one of the "Get Carter" bucket chains (possibly the one in the film) relentlessly dumping colliery waste into the North Sea but I don't remember where. I didn't have a car so it can't have been too far away. I found it a very eerie sight and sound and , with no visible human involvement and a deserted beach, there was something rather alien about it. 

AFAIR there were  still rails on the north pier at Tynemouth at that time but they'd been lifted from the yard at the shore end though their trackbeds were still very obvious.

It was at Blackhall Colliery.. we were told to "Badger off" when we spotted the film crew..

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Guess what, it’s raining, by the look of the garden it’s been raining all night! So it looks like another day where I will not need to water the plants!

So, as today will be a virtual repeat of yesterday, it looks like I might get a little wet, so I will have time my journeys to and from the shed as well as I did yesterday. I am hoping that I will get as far as I did yesterday and get the next shelf unit cleared, removed, dismantled, re-assembled and re-sited in the new underfloor storage area. Well that is the plan, if it all goes as well as I hope, I should at least get the reduced height shelves in place. So, I had best get on with it. 

As for wearing masks, I personally can’t wait to get rid of the darn things, but I will always carry one with me and I shall wear it if I use public transport (highly unlikely at the moment or if I feel uneasy etc. As for going OUT to the pub, that is something we don’t do very often so we do not miss that, eating in restaurants, that can wait for now!

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

Many Happies for today Phil.

Q I remember the water in the Norfolk Broads was the same colour as my coffee in the late 1960's, last time I fished in Wroxham I could see the river bed, that used to only happen in the depths of winter in the past.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning 

Ah the old Peckham Springs 

Best before dates on ppe I seem to recall that was part of the problem at the start of the pandemic that the strategic reserve of ppe was out of date. Hadnt the chair polishers thought of rotating stock through it, although would out of date stuff been better than none at all, same with contents of first aid kits .

I know hard hat's have a life of 5 years after production

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

That's because of plastic degradation. Old hard hats are false security.

Of course, plastic degradation is mainly because of sunlight and oxygen. 

But please don't tell the government otherwise they'll try to ban them.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Of course, plastic degradation is mainly because of sunlight and oxygen. 

But please don't tell the government otherwise they'll try to ban them.

Or tax them.

Jamie

• Agree 9
  • Funny 6