The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from an unexpectedly dry rock, rain seems to have dodged around us. 18c too.

@Pacific231G As I lived in Shields I got sent to Riversdale!  Got as far as Class 4 combined and of course Class 2 Part A from the phase 3.  Degree came later in life in a totally different subject - HR!  I have a photo somewhere of the little Ruston actually moving along the pier railway, just before it was sold.  I later saw it at the Yorkshire Dales railway, not sure if it is still there.

Aha found them.  Taking a risk on here.....

1192545221_pier(1).jpg.c3d307c994a77e77bd62df912ddf3f75.jpg

638590700_pier(2).jpg.04b92fe3eac2f0823bfb65682f91316d.jpg

Just checked it out on Google Earth, the tracks are still in situ.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

@Pacific231G It is a shed on the wagon, the crane is actually a goliath crane a long way behind it on the pier, sadly about to be scrapped at the time of the photo.  Unfortunately I didn't hang around to watch the shunt, as I was in the company of a young lady at the time who was fully taking my attention.  Not the current Mrs NHN, but a pleasant memory just the same. Very.

Perfectly good reason for not watching shunting. You'd probably have lost her attention.

The rails for the goliath were still there when I saw it but, unless my memory is tricking me, the crane itself had been scrapped by Sept. 1969 when I arrived.

I did see one of the "Get Carter" bucket chains (possibly the one in the film) relentlessly dumping colliery waste into the North Sea but I don't remember where. I didn't have a car so it can't have been too far away. I found it a very eerie sight and sound and , with no visible human involvement and a deserted beach, there was something rather alien about it. 

AFAIR there were  still rails on the north pier at Tynemouth at that time but they'd been lifted from the yard at the shore end though their trackbeds were still very obvious.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 16