The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, petethemole said:

the completion of my 73rd solar orbit

Happy Birthday.  Some Falling-down Water will be raised in honour of the event a little later.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

At one time hereabouts the water had to be treated to kill some sort of shrimp infestation. I think it was mostly in the Southend area though. 

I would be more worried about the chemical(s) used for the treatment than the shrimp.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

I must wean myself back into the idea of going to work. While I miss all the proper human interaction, it has become quite easy to sink into a routine of just doing a domestic chore in the middle of the day (put the washing out, a load of ironing, buy the LDC etc) and not be bothered with a masked journey into the office.

But Thursday I need to be in for a meeting and the boss is going to decree that all of the team should be in at least once a week from the 19th to get us into going back in more often.

Having said that, when we move to smaller premises, it will not be possible to go in every day anyway. I wonder how few people will be in on Fridays?!

In some ways I am fairly relaxed about the loosening of bonds; I will probably continue to wear a mask on public transport for a while (mind you, if we have another very hot spell...); and I think that the upcoming school holidays will reduce some of the spreading. I must be reasonably relaxed; we're some of the 140,000 people heading to Silverstone in a couple of weeks' time. It's a pilot event so we need to show proof of vaccinations/negative tests but that is all. A colleague said that at the cricket earlier this week, the checks of the vaccination QR code were very cursory - it wasn't scanned.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Belated birthday wishes to Andrew C. 

Pete. Happy birthday for today. 

Phil. Happy birthday for tomorrow. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Greetings all from the soggy boring borough. 

Back from 4 days and 3 nights camping in North Wales. (Bryn Gloch to be exact) Our tent was less than 50m from the Welsh Highland line. Sadly we weren't at the site at the right times. We managed to visit a few railways and had a nice late afternoon ride on the Talyllyn.  It was good to see the parking lot at the Corris rammed and the train when it arrived was quite full. Other than that and a visit to Portmeirion it was rather sedate. There was one w@nkpuffin in an HGV who managed to ignore several signs on the road saying "not suitable for HGVs" and manged to get himself rather stuck. I caught the edge of the pavement trying to get around him and the wheel slipped down slightly into the mud. I've now got a 1.5m tree created racing stripe down the passenger side. Paint not disturbed so it should buff out. Loads of rain. Loads of sheep. Yesterday morning we were delayed in packing up as it as p*ssing down. It stopped suddenly, and by the time we were loaded and ready to go it was bright sunshine. 

Overall a rather nice way to have a quiet 60th solar orbit completion. 

Enjoy the day. 

The very least I can do is to wish you a belated Happy Birthday, and probably one you wont forget in a hurry.:good:

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, petethemole said:

Strong winds and heavy rain in the early hours accompanied the completion of my 73rd solar orbit, along with a twitchy leg, so I was awake for an hour or so, reading The Bedside Backtrack, that I picked up in a charity shop the other day.  It's still breezy with showers.  I'm off to Sainsbury's soon with Mrs mole to collect a new kettle, my pressie from herself.  We have separate kettles as she likes a filter.  Mine looks manky and appears to be leaking.  As I'll be in her car so I will get some bags of cat litter.

We have hard water.  The local water companies have water quality reports for different districts.. They are quite informative.

I will have some beers later....

And a very Happy Birthday to you too, hope it was a goodun.:good:

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-land. Happy birthday Pete and I'm not far behind you, I will have made my 73rd solar circuit tomorrow. 

I've seen some kitchen fitters using a home made template to fit cupboard door handles. It was a piece of plywood about 18" by 6" with a piece of 2x1 timber screwed across the top and one side. It had two holes drilled in it corresponding to the handles and the kitchen fitter dropped it over the door and drilled through the holes. He had two in fact, one left handed and one right handed. He had a lot more than two doors to do, he was working on a new build estate.

And so a very Happy Birthday to you from me for tomorrow, just in case I'm not around for any reason.:o:D:good:

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1