The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear seems to recall a documentary on the Japanese Bullet Train - the drivers all had pocket watches, synchronised to a master clock in Despatchers (?) Office.  If the train is due out at 12, then that's when they move - to the second (signals permitting, of course).  And on a journey of hundreds of miles if they are not very accurate with their arrival time (I forget just how accurate) then the Driver can expect to have to justify why.

I watch, on a fairly regular basis, Japan Railway Journal and in one episode they had a feature on Tokyo Subway driver training. After learning the route, the trainee driver - with the instructor in the cab - would have to cover the speedometer and complete the route keeping to the set speed limits (+/- 5 seconds [or less?], if I recall correctly) without reference to the speedometer. I wonder how many drivers in the London Underground, the Paris Metro or the Berlin U-Bahn could do that?

JRJ is a fascinating look into the world of Japanese railways. Although privatised, Japanese railways offer a level of comfort and service that few other countries (if any) can match. NHK World, who broadcasts JRJ, have had a number of presenters over the years, unfortunately - for 2021 - the sole episode made and broadcast had a clueless, female, social media “influencer” and the episode was unwatchable - the problem being the underlined items, not that the presenter was female…

Why TV feels that it needs to court the social media “influencer” is beyond me. I am certain there are far more people not influenced than influenced by these internet nonentities…

Andy Warhol: you were right….

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Laxey rectification in action - last day in service. Turns out a 'couple of years ago' was 2011.  This is Manx Time in action!  When we say its 1958 here, we don't mean the time , but the year....

P1160408.JPG.df222e9e999263de1a51ec92aa8de1ad.JPG

159107074_P1160411(2).JPG.4432c8302620b882cca6ba981c0f59f3.JPG

I can't find my slides of the ones at the Harton Electric Railway in South Shields, not sure where they are.

They take me back, they look like the ones I used to maintain many moons ago. We used to refer to them as octopuses. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

And finally:

Is it a Bird?  Is it a Plane?  No, its......

JetBear....

https://jetpackaviation.com/speeder-pre-order/

:laugh:

(Flight Training Courses conducted by Ewoks have yet to be confirmed)

Will they actually materialise?  Well, they're already producing Jet Packs, and for $5K you can go on a 2-day tethered flight experience course.

Good morning all.

I don't think I'm a Luddite but I find the concept of jetpacks and human or heavy cargo carrying drone type aircraft fatally flawed.

With a conventional aircraft, if the power fails, and aircraft do lose power ocasionally for several reasons, an aeroplane turns into a glider, a helicopter into an autogyro, and a hot-air balloon begins a slow descent. In all three cases it's usually possible to get one's flying machine safely back to earth. However, a non-aerodynamic aircraft that depends on power alone for lift will instantly turn into a stone.  Their promoters will probably bang on about ballistic parachutes and built in redundancy, but parachutes require a cerain amount of height to deploy, and aircraft already have built in redundancy but they still have engine failures.  

Remember, the effects of gravity can be grave!

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all (again) from Estuary-Land. I feel a lot better now after a couple of hours eye-lid inspection. The book that I couldn't put down was 'The law of innocence' by Michael Connolly, a crime thriller. Tea has brewed so its be back later.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Laxey rectification in action - last day in service. Turns out a 'couple of years ago' was 2011.  This is Manx Time in action!  When we say its 1958 here, we don't mean the time , but the year....

P1160408.JPG.df222e9e999263de1a51ec92aa8de1ad.JPG

159107074_P1160411(2).JPG.4432c8302620b882cca6ba981c0f59f3.JPG

I can't find my slides of the ones at the Harton Electric Railway in South Shields, not sure where they are.

Excellent. For the six months I was there in 1969-1970 I used to see the Harton Electrics almost every morning while walking to college. I never saw its mercury arc rectifiers but I went on an MRC visit to the Post Office Railway at Mount Pleasant in the late 1970s and saw them there. AFAIR they were in the lower part of the station tunnel under the platforms.

I'd earlier had a glimpse of them working at the BBC World Service transmitter site at Daventy in about 1976 during a visit by Bush House Studio Managers to learn what happened to our output after it had left the studio.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, southern42 said:

One from last week.  Don't take your eyes off the road, Jack!

image.png.b06639d88ce4b2241f38faa8cab8c39e.png

Just found out they do a black snood....

Best wishes

Polly

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist - there's a certain 'Toy Story' feel to that pic :D

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 7

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I watch, on a fairly regular basis, Japan Railway Journal and in one episode they had a feature on Tokyo Subway driver training. After learning the route, the trainee driver - with the instructor in the cab - would have to cover the speedometer and complete the route keeping to the set speed limits (+/- 5 seconds [or less?], if I recall correctly) without reference to the speedometer. I wonder how many drivers in the London Underground, the Paris Metro or the Berlin U-Bahn could do that?

JRJ is a fascinating look into the world of Japanese railways. Although privatised, Japanese railways offer a level of comfort and service that few other countries (if any) can match. NHK World, who broadcasts JRJ, have had a number of presenters over the years, unfortunately - for 2021 - the sole episode made and broadcast had a clueless, female, social media “influencer” and the episode was unwatchable - the problem being the underlined items, not that the presenter was female…

Why TV feels that it needs to court the social media “influencer” is beyond me. I am certain there are far more people not influenced than influenced by these internet nonentities…

Andy Warhol: you were right….

I'm afraid we have moved from actually 'knowing' about a subject to 'what can I say or do' that will make me 'famous'. 

This is particularly demonstrated with museums now a days wanting to 'get a return' on there investment but unfortunately not having the initial financial acumen to realise that they is not always possible or desirable.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

included half a page about the new-fangled 'Integrated Circuits'

They'll never catch on .....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

They'll never catch on .....

I once went to an early Microsoft Windows preview. I said it was going to do well and was told by everyone else at work I was talking rubbish and it would never sell 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3