The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PupCam said:

Whoops! 

I think I may have just struck a small nerve .... 

But a first class, excellent and 100% accurate rant.   That exactly sums up my views on the way so many once brilliant museums have gone. The RAF museum at Hendon is another one that was being “done over” last time I was there and again, I’ll not be rushing back. 

Now just don’t get me started on modern TV documentaries .... 

Puppers should meet a mate of Bear's - he's a volunteer at Duxford;  get him talking about what goes on there and you'll soon wonder if there is any hope left....

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

A bl**ddy cat has been carping in a couple of planters i have at the front. It's the 2 of the 3 with olive trees in.

Picture the scene.....

A mate of Bear's brings new G/F home to meet mummy & daddy - so best china n' all that....

All sitting around, prim & proper and making polite small talk when kitty wanders in....

...and promptly saunters over to the pot plant in the corner, does an about turn and cr@ps in the pot.....

:laugh:

In other news:

Bear now has an Oven refitted and usable, as well as the new Hob.  Don't ask me how they work though, but they look nice...

• Like 11
  • Funny 5

Evening All,

Day went much as planned and we did get to see the special run through the woods where we take Sydney for his morning walk. As we arrived home the heavens opened up and it's rained on and off ever since. the upshot was that I got more paperwork done than expected and then watched the F1 after tea.

1826618645_CSC_0497(1).JPG.e5e129766544f6e7e090257bc043b512.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just let the TV rescan all channels.

And then looking at the results found that some pf the crafting channels are doing Christmas stuff.

Christmas movies are showing frequently at the dross end of Sky TV's movie section on Movies 24, currently Poinsettias for C..., followed by C... Connection, and Movies24+, currently A Taste of C..., then C... Getaway.  Not long before those channels get their seasonal renaming...  I knew the nights were drawing in....

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

No unfortunately, taken out of service a couple of years ago - I posted somewhere recently about them.  We had a look around the last weekend they were in...err...arc.  All new solid state rectifier building in Laxey next door to where they were now. ...snip...

That reminds me of the Pennsylvania E44 electrics. They started out life with Hg arc rectification but were converted to solid state silicon rectification over a period of years.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

36 minutes ago, brianusa said:

... so many minorities in its citizenry considering the period

I wonder. There was a trend to import human curiosities from the colonies and show them off at posh soireés. Some of them are well documented, I suspect others less so.

From North America, there is the story of Tisquantum (aka Squanto) of the Pautuxet.  He was abducted by Thomas Hunt, sold in Málaga and ultimately lived in England before returning to North America and, being able to speak English, played an instrumental role in the survival of the New Plymouth colony after 1620. Perhaps just as famous is Pocahontas, who was presented in London society, living there from perhaps 1616 to 1617. I imagine they weren't the only ones.

There were of course numbers of Africans working as servants of the great and good in England from the 17th century on, the entrepôt likely being colonial plantation owners and slave traders. The same was true for south Asians brought back as servants by members of the East India Company.

Samuel Pepys, the 17th century diarist, employed a 'blackmore' cook, who, he said, 'dresses our meat mighty well'.

From the National Archives (nationalarchives.gov.uk). 

The Beatles' "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" refers to a 19th century poster for a circus owned by a black man.

Doubtless the demands of inclusivity and representation are driving casting choices, but with more than two centuries of being a global colonial trading hub, we might be surprised just how many people from all over the world participated in Regency English society in one capacity or another.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I knew the nights were drawing in....

"A Blue Ridge Mountain Christmas" is playing on the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries Channel on cable as I type this.

No, I'm not watching it. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Today’s weather has remained changeable all day. Rain up until dinner time, then it stopped but remained quite dark. We had a little sunshine mid afternoon, luckily it remained dry whilst I washed out my mop and bucket. Then it started to rain again around tea time, stopped for a short while, only to start up again just as it was going dark, but we then had some lightening, but no thunder, it’s still chuckinitdarn now!

One of Sheila’s Zumba friends was taking part in a sponsored bike ride today, the starting line was in Salford and the finishing line was in Blackpool, I don’t think she had the right weather for that!

Anyway, back to the storage area, the floor is now complete, the final 2 thin strips were cut and fitted this morning. After dinner I started putting my model railway items in there, it took me most of the afternoon, but the boxes are safely stored now, close to where they will be needed. Next, I’ll turn my attention to getting the shelving in the shed dismantled and the re-assembled into units that will fit in the storage area. I currently have 2 units, 5ft tall each having 5 shelves, when finished, I’ll end up with 5 units, 2ft tall each having 2 shelves. As for the storage of paint, I’ve stored paint for over 40 years in the cellar, the worst that has happened is a metal tin rusting through and leaking. This area is basically an extension of the cellar and there is good airflow in there, so I don’t foresee any problems, as most of the paints I use now are water based and usually come in plastic containers. 

I used to have to maintain mercury arc rectifiers when when I worked in the steel industry. There were 2 x 1kA mercury arc rectifiers and 3 0.75kA silicon ones, all housed in a building we called the converter house. They had several dark blue windows that you could ‘watch’ rectification taking place. The mechanical guys used to call the building Frankenstein laboratory, due to the constant flashing they used to make. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

;) The term "beach town" on the Great Lakes makes me smile. (I did live close-ish to Lake Michigan for about seven years, the balance of my life has been on one side or the other of the Pacific Ocean.)

I guess Indiana Dunes State Park (the glacial moraine on the south shore of Lake Michigan) counts as a "beach" area.

Highway traffic locally (for the holiday weekend) has been an absolute nightmare.

Our side of Lake Huron has a number of long, sandy beaches. I think it is Michigan eroding and being washed up along Ontario.

I think the far side of the state of Michigan has some sand too, Sleeping Bear?

• Like 15

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

I think it is Michigan eroding and being washed up along Ontario.

I think the far side of the state of Michigan has some sand too, Sleeping Bear?

There's a lot of erosion going on in Lake Michigan.

Some of the most dramatic is cliff erosion in Western Michigan (South Haven - Grand Haven and further north) or Van Buren, Allegan, Ottawa and Muskegon Counties. Houses falling into the lake sort of erosion. It's pretty bad.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Similar events happen all the time.  Bear in mind that I am employed on what remains Britain's busiest railway station when calculated by any means other than entry / exit through the gatelines.  And therein lies another British oddity; it is one valid way to determine the "busiest" station but with far more train movements and a greater proportion of interchange than originating passengers than, for example, the "Busiest station" (by gateline stats) we stand by the claim unceremoniously obliterated when Network Rail placed their own-brand name stickers over the previous and perfectly good rail-alphabet ones.  

By the by.

It will happen many times in a shift.  Train departs according to our "on time" rules known as "T-30" (it's T-45 at Waterloo which allows for the fact that everyone has to walk from the gateline to at least the back door to board a train there) and sure enough along comes Grumpy Passenger gesticulating at the clock and alleging we have allowed the train to go early.  

I understand that is frustrating at times.  What is not grasped is that in many of those cases were the train to be held awaiting minute-zero-seconds before the doors closed the passenger in question would still have missed it because they were not on the platform in time.  Alternatively they had not allowed the NR-advisory 10-minute minimum to change trains (we actually suggest 15 because of the size and busyness of the place).  Or their inward service was delayed and they missed their onward service.  Sometimes they would have caught it because they were safely on the platform in that short space of time between T-30, doors closing (which takes perhaps 10-15 seconds once the dispatch process has begun, plus the slight lag of human reaction between tips and pressing the door button, plus the seconds the hustle alarm operates for before the doors move) and departure.  So a T-30 dispatch usually results in wheels moving at or very close to the exact minute of scheduled departure.  

It was different with slam doors.  It was, perhaps, less safe.  Runners could open the doors and leap aboard a moving train hopefully then managing to close the door behind them.  Not any more.  And with DOO becoming widespread on the passenger networks it is taking a little longer every time to close doors and move because the one member of staff responsible for all of that - the driver - is being extra-vigilant in doing some of the work previously done by the guard and as many dispatchers as the local situation demanded - in our case up to three because of curved platforms.  

Enough.  It's time to hit the hay.  I'll be doing all of this in the real world again all too soon.  Sleep well.  

With respect, you, as an employee tied up in the 30 second farce, seem to have missed my point.

Simply, the time published in any form of timetable represents the time at which the doors close. The train departs up to 30 seconds after this event.

European countries such as Germany, France, Netherlands, Switzerland have mastered this concept. It seems that this is beyond comprehension in the UK!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

With respect, you, as an employee tied up in the 30 second farce, seem to have missed my point.

Simply, the time published in any form of timetable represents the time at which the doors close. The train departs up to 30 seconds after this event.

European countries such as Germany, France, Netherlands, Switzerland have mastered this concept. It seems that this is beyond comprehension in the UK!

Bear seems to recall a documentary on the Japanese Bullet Train - the drivers all had pocket watches, synchronised to a master clock in Despatchers (?) Office.  If the train is due out at 12, then that's when they move - to the second (signals permitting, of course).  And on a journey of hundreds of miles if they are not very accurate with their arrival time (I forget just how accurate) then the Driver can expect to have to justify why.

In other news:

Bear has a choice between:

(a) fitting the Dishwasher Front Panel, followed by the machining of a clearance slot in the plinth to suit

Or:

(b) Doing the final securing and levelling of the wall units.

It's quite likely that both jobs will get done.  Or not.

And finally:

Is it a Bird?  Is it a Plane?  No, its......

JetBear....

https://jetpackaviation.com/speeder-pre-order/

:laugh:

(Flight Training Courses conducted by Ewoks have yet to be confirmed)

Will they actually materialise?  Well, they're already producing Jet Packs, and for $5K you can go on a 2-day tethered flight experience course.  Not sure if Hippos can apply, though....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1