The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone  ...snip...

The plan is to now store all my model railway items in large plastic boxes along the left hand wall. This will free up space upstairs and bring it all down to where it will eventually be used. Along the right hand side and the end wall will be a row of shelving, for storing everything else.  ...snip...

Finally, with the flooring in place.

E299488F-0174-4BD1-972E-EC320F5ED466.jpeg.bf1596f8f002fc4cd92e7decac0498f1.jpeg

That does not look like a lot of headroom; less than four feet? :o

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

As Britons awaken, today people in the US will prepare celebrate the 4th of July with beer in red, white and blue cans and fireworks. Locally with the dry conditions, fireworks are banned in many municipalities - even the professional displays.

I continue to find it curious to celebrate an enumeration of grievances. Most people don't get much further than the preamble, largely plagiarized* from the Virginia Declaration of Rights authored by George Mason, and adopted by the Virginia Constitutional Convention on June 12, 1776. What follows is pretty tedious stuff. My personal favourite is this one:

For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:

Which refers to the Quebec Act of 1774 which in large measure was intended to accommodate Catholic Québécois.

And this one doesn't really age very well:

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

The vote for independence actually occurred on July 2 and a "committee of five"** was delegated to draft the declaration.  They delivered their declaration, which was approved by the second Continental Congress on the 4th. It was then printed but not read publicly until July 8. It would not be signed until August 2, by delegates who were not necessarily the same individuals that voted on the 2nd or 4th of July.

The signers' names were not publicly released until 1777.

* The actual history of the editing process is quite fascinating. While Jefferson gets most of the credit, there are theories about whose hand (often Franklin's editorial style) are responsible for changes in the "rough draft".

** Which besides Jefferson included, John Adams (Massachusetts), Benjamin Franklin (Pennsylvania), Robert R. Livingston (New York), and Roger Sherman (Connecticut). 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it wonderful that ae can have loads of rain, thunder and lightning etc and afterwards the birds still sing merrily.

Family are visiting today so a bit of tidying up to do. PAH! I was asked to umpire a Yorkshire U14s game but family comes first.

Apparently great joy was had in the kickball last night. Not sure what happened and I don't really care.

Case numbers continue to rise around here. The ONS are now showing the %of jabs done per local area. One hot spot around here has less than 25% of the adults living their as having had a jab...

Have a good Sunday! Well done @Dave Hunt for the very positive gift.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

On 03/07/2021 at 10:07, New Haven Neil said:

…..One wonders what people are trying the achieve by injecting botox into their man-pods, or perhaps it is better not to wonder...most odd...

Yes, it’s best not to speculate. It’s probably one of those vanity things - like the Georgian “ladies of distinction” who used powdered white lead to get that fashionable “pale” look.

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t go near botulinum toxin (from which botox is created) unless I really, really had to (it does have some non-cosmetic medical uses). It’s an irreversible acetylcholine (neurotransmitter) receptor blocker and it is estimated that a kilo of pure botulinum toxin is enough to wipe out all life on Earth.

Why you’d want anything like that near your man spuds is beyond me… 

23 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Morning all, tis a bit wet out or as the late and much missed Stanley Unwin might say ''it'll be moisty milo of the wetty rainyfied from the sky in heavenlo, oh yes indeedy, lovely mode''. Or something!

Stanley Unwin, a much overlooked comic raconteur I‘d say (I think his style of humour more that of a raconteur than a comedian).

One of his best appearances was in one of the early Carry On films (I forget which one), when Kenneth Williams acts as Stanley Unwin’s interpreter for the rest of the Carry On gang…

14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I just finished watching it, I've seen Death on the Tyne and I hope the third in the sequence, dial M for Middlesborough might be televised soon.

What channel? Do tell.

Mrs iD loves her British Krimis and in the absence of new episodes of Midsommer Murders, McDonald and Dodds, Death in Paradise and the like, we have to take pot luck on the repeats (which never seem to be broadcast in sequence) as to whether or not we’ve seen the episode…

11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

..A good friend works in healthcare and says the same thing; once in healthcare you are never off duty. ..

Very true, although nowadays it has to be if there is no other option (my basic training may still cover the essentials but I’m way out of date with everything else).

Having said that, I did recently “bandage up” and then take to A&E an elderly neighbour who had an argument with a kitchen knife…

10 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

…After whatever you call the main meal of the day when it's at 4.30 PM, a rather splended lasagne followed by an excellent trifle,…

I’d call it “High Tea” (with a light supper in the late evening). And whilst trifle is traditional, lasagne is not (and, btw, well done on using the plural. Lasagna - singular, Lasagne - plural. Correctly said, it’s lasagne pasticciata or lasagne Modenese, etc. But the singular is used in common currency- a bit like data and datum). 

I am led to understand that a “High Tea” is Scottish in origin and - traditionally - involves sandwiches, a number of hot dishes and plenty of CAKE (but not necessarily LDC, probably a Dundee cake or similar).

I wonder what other ERs would consider suitable for a “traditional” High Tea (I’d love to learn about the regional variations)

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

;) The term "beach town" on the Great Lakes makes me smile…

But isn’t the term Lake a bit of a misnomer here? Aren’t they - correctly - inland seas?  And are only called lakes because they are fresh water?

I was, reluctantly, dragooned into watching the England-Ukraine match yesterday and, for the game being played at this level, I didn’t think it particularly exciting football. Still, it keeps the lads in Big Beemers, Bling and Bleach Blonde Babes and that’s the important thing!

Enjoy your Sunday!

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all.

A bit of brightness around today so some tidying of the garden may be called for. Also have some kitchen repainting to do, but neither until a cuppa has been consumed.

Stay safe, sane and well, see you later.

• Like 18

Good Morning Awl, and, although the latter is still true, the veracity of the former may be considered dubious!

Rain again this morning has obstructed my plans to cut the hedge at the front and side of my domicile (mains powered hedge cutter!) but I may later acquire a pair of secateurs to at least recover the twigs overhanging my neighbour's garden. Forecast suggests swimwear might be an appropriate dress code for this operation!

Elsewhere:

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Stanley Unwin, a much overlooked comic raconteur I‘d say (I think his style of humour more that of a raconteur than a comedian).

One of his best appearances was in one of the early Carry On films (I forget which one), when Kenneth Williams acts as Stanley Unwin’s interpreter for the rest of the Carry On gang…

IIRC, that was Carry On Regardless which featured the hapless Gang under the guise of the "Helping Hands Agency". Also, ISTR that SU billed himself as "'Professor' Stanley Unwin"!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1