The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A gentle stroll to the butchers has been made. As well as some smoked back bacon a lamb and mint, a meat and potato and a large growler has been procured.  

Now to make clean things dirty...

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

well, you've got to build bypasses haven't you

Not certain Arthur Dent agrees with that sentiment :nono:

Alan

• Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all, turned out nice again.

I had a very restless night with little sleep, not helped by being woken from one doze at 5.30 am by somebody shouting abuse not far away, for about 15 minutes. 

The usually mundane shopping trip to Eastleigh was enlivened yesterday when my return trip was blocked by a bus on fire on Southampton Road.  Fortunately my bus was still in a position to turn at a roundabout and go round the houses to regain our route.  It turned out to be one of the same company's buses. which was completely destroyed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-57684381

It's knackered the road surface, https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/19415298.southampton-road-closed-weekend-eastleigh-bus-fire/

I'll be off there later for more supplies, via the alternate route, which isn't much longer.

Stay elfy.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

9 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Mornin' all, turned out nice again.

I had a very restless night with little sleep, not helped by being woken from one doze at 5.30 am by somebody shouting abuse not far away, for about 15 minutes. 

The usually mundane shopping trip to Eastleigh was enlivened yesterday when my return trip was blocked by a bus on fire on Southampton Road.  Fortunately my bus was still in a position to turn at a roundabout and go round the houses to regain our route.  It turned out to be one of the same company's buses. which was completely destroyed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-57684381

It's knackered the road surface, https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/19415298.southampton-road-closed-weekend-eastleigh-bus-fire/

I'll be off there later for more supplies, via the alternate route, which isn't much longer.

Stay elfy.

I wont go that way into the Station then, Cheers:good:

• Like 11
  • Funny 2

Greetings all from Sidcup where it has been sunny all day and I have managed while WFH to get two loads of washing outside to dry which might earn some brownie points - or might not.

Football is to be watched tonight and Elder Lurker and I will indulge in a curry. Ocado performed better than last week but I was disappointed that some of the wine I had chosen (not our usual) was not delivered and not replaced. First world problems eh?

My dreams were unusually vivid and I woke from them twice - which is very unusual for me as I rarely remember any of my dreams. They're fading now which is probably just as well; they were quite confusing!!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

In other news two stand-out moments from a significantly busier day at the House of Fun: one a chap seeking confirmation that he was about to board the correct train received the reply from me "Hampton Court, Sir?  Yes" ..... to which I got the surprising response of "No mate - it's just a splash - does it show? :O " 

:D:D:D:D

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Note to self, check the bl@@dy TV program early enough to make sure your not missing anything. I only picked it up just now to see that the news was on at four instead of six. Pah! as Baz would say.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

' evening all from red dragon land.

Sunny...fair amount of hazy cloud.

Toot on the flute better than expected. Satisfying, even.  Looks like I might get there, after all. 

Some pulling up more Crocosmia under the guise of the G word. So, no M word - again! Tut tut! Maybe tomorrow - some rain expected!

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie warning off the sniffs & sneezes.

Take care all and play safe.

Will try and catch later.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

Evening all

A bit of pottering in the garden has taken place in view of the upcoming poor weather forecasts. Tomorrow there is a special Haribo market in Pontefract in lieu of the usual liquorice festival that has inevitably been cancelled due to this bl**dy virus. @Erichill16 Haribo contract out haulage to Great Bear logistics so they could well be short of drivers.

I could write pages on the lorry driver shortage having worked in transport for many years. Back in the early 2000s there were anticipated driver shortage s when the licencing routes were changed so you couldn't go straight for your class 1 then there was the working time directive which caused a massive fright throughout the industry that there wouldn't be enough drivers.

The driver shortage  would possibly be regional too, there used to be loads of driver vacancies around the M25 area but we always had a waiting list of drivers wanting work in the Barnsley area. Wages have been squeezed as haulage rates have been squeezed to keep prices low for the end consumers.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

feels like a thunderstorm is brewing around here..

We had one. (We're upwind of Baz, make of that comment what you will...). It felt like a storm was due for a while, then just after four, the rain started and increased as if someone was turning a dial in a shower. Then cue the theatricals, son et lumiere. Blue sky now... 

Another day earning LDC/muddling tokens. Saw the blackbird having his daily bath in the morning. Chief Acolyte fell over some stone later, did the same yesterday, so in a foul mood, I didn't think it advisable to comment about CA's timing of deliveries for a week when I have to spend most days working (and therefore couldn't put in place) would go down well... 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5