The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Bit of a generalisation there.

I'm sure I could find plenty of uncomplimentary opinions on British food. They would, like many sweeping generalisations, be uninformed.

It was my own experience of restaurants and diners in many parts of America I was thinking of. I have drunk very good American craft beers and have certainly enjoyed good food there. I have also endured poor food in Britain far too often. However, my general impression of oversweetened blandness and of quantity over quality was based on personal experience over thirty years and not on uninformed prejudice (My opinion of the coffee was partly based on a month working in an office in Arkansas. That wasn't really a criticism as  tastes do vary and I'm sure the average mediterranean would find my coffee watery! ) 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 17

18 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Now onto a more intriguing subject... I am not sure why these petrol pumps need warning signs, unless I have missed something. 

At the risk of sounding like a “baby boomer“ cynic, I wonder if these labels are due to the fact that far too many will do anything nowadays to get their 15 minutes of fame on YouTube, Tik-To or the like

15 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

American beer certainly isn't. The same description could be applied to coffee there and the "cuisine" seems to be a case of the bland leading the bland (with added corn syrup!) .

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Bit of a generalisation there.

I'm sure I could find plenty of uncomplimentary opinions on British food. They would, like many sweeping generalisations, be uninformed.

I don’t think that the above posted statement about American food is too much of a sweeping generalisation. I have spent many years living in the US and then later travelling to it on a regular basis for work and I would concur with that opinion. There is a lot of really good beer, wine and food available in the US but you have to know where to go for it otherwise the food is certainly bland and definitely over sweetened. Of course, this particular generalisation you could apply to most countries in the west: pockets of excellence surrounded by mediocrity.  Switzerland definitely can be found on that list: I have eaten incredibly well here in Switzerland (and with a concomitant price tag to match) but most the time the food is bland, uninspiring and pedestrian.  To the point where I, a merely competent amateur chef, can cook better food than most of the low and middle priced restaurants around here (not to mention the fact that nearly everywhere you go it’s the same bloody menu!)

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I truly don't know - and never did know - what caused people to turn in such directions.  Many of us have had turmoil and distress in our lives.  Some of the dossers would talk privately about their background though seldom about how and why they started drinking.  There but for the grace of <insert deity of choice, if any> go I.  And all of us.  

I think the misfortunes of these people are down to one combination or another of bad luck, an absence of family support (or any family worth the name, for that matter), mental illness, addictive personality and financial troubles.

I think the role of luck, both good and bad, does play an important role here. We have all done something stupid during our life (it would seem that the decade between 15 and 25 years of age is definitely “the age of stoopid”), But most of us have had the good luck that - whatever the stupid thing we did - it didn’t have serious consequences for ourselves. Some are not so lucky.

And so the downward spiral begins….

11 hours ago, brianusa said:

Sadly most of us are concerned about the outcome of scans which can be life changing.  I prefer not to worry as it puts one at a disadvantage right from the start…..

Brian.

A sound approach, Brian. I always take the attitude that whatever the doctors are searching for is either there or it isn’t there and there is F***all I can do about it.  So best get the test over and done with and, if there IS anything there at all, the earlier it is found the easier it is to deal with!

Let’s hope ChrisF has a good result…

8 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear recalls a certain young doggie (and fellow ER'er)  saying to me some years ago:

"Google is your friend - but it can also be your enemy"

For that reason I specifically stayed away from searching for info when I had the Big C scare last chrimbo…

Mr P Bear is definitely “smarter than the average bear“ with that approach. Differential diagnosis can sometimes be challenging at times even when you: a) are not personally involved (i.e. it’s someone else and you can be dispassionately analytical), and b) have a full panoply of lab tests, scans, and other assessments providing one with hard data.

Consulting Dr Google because you have a pain your side “just like Uncle George, who then died suddenly at the Christmas dinner table” is not a good idea…. 

It’s not like fitting a kitchen, DIY does not work in this instance.

5 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

It was my own experience of restaurants and diners in many parts of America I was thinking of. I have drunk very good American craft beers and have certainly enjoyed good food there. …

As I posted above, you can eat and drink extremely well in the US, but (and it’s a big but) you really need to have insider knowledge (or an insider’s guidance) to find the really good places.

Surprisingly, the one place in the US where I didn’t find a good place to eat was New Orleans. I think, primarily, because I didn’t have time to research good restaurants nor did I have any colleagues from the area who could have pointed me in the right direction

…I have also endured poor food in Britain far too often. ….

At the risk of sounding very cynical, I am not surprised.

Given the combination of “chips with everything“, “it’s gotta be cheap“ and an innate culinary conservatism, the fact that you DO have a great places to eat in the UK illustrates how far Britain has progressed - in culinary terms - since I was a grubby skoolboy in the UK in the 60s

I was listening to a repeat of BBC Radio 4’s The Food Programme yesterday and the topic was the food of James Bond (in the novels at least) and a restauranteur - who is also a big Bond fan - stated that the food Bond enjoys in the books (oyster stew, stone crabs, avocado vinaigrette…) whilst not unusual today, were then (in the 50s - when the books were written) very much the province of a wealthy few…

…and not on uninformed prejudice

I’ve always wondered about that phrase, as it implies informed prejudice is better (and perhaps it is). Human nature being what it is, I wouldn’t be so cavalier as to quickly dismiss prejudice, cliché and stereotypes - if analysed carefully they reveal tiny nuggets of (sometimes unpalatable) truth.

Finally, after waxing philosophical, I offer my best wishes to all those being poked, prodded, jabbed and scanned for health reasons. May the results of your trials and tribulations be positive (or negative - depending on the test)

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 13
  • Funny 1

Well this is the warmest and brightest morning for many a day, and so I intend to make the most of it, POSSIBLY donning my shorts for a walk once I have thrown some wet tap stuff over my wonderful body.:swoon:

Have a good day one and all, say safe and keep well:dancer:

• Like 19

Greetings all from Sidcup where the sun is showing its face through the clouds and I did spot some blue sky earlier - first time for a while.

Glad that Robert's results were all clear and I hope that Chrisf is able to forget all about his until he gets comforting news in August.

On American food, I quite enjoyed quite enjoyed most of what we ate in the US but I did notice that almost everything was sweeter than we are used to here, even the bread. Mrs Lurker was more critical than I but my tastes lean more to the spicy than hers. I also noticed that the food was sweeter in South Africa more than 20 years ago. I wonder if it is a function of eating out in those places whereas obviously I do not eat out as much when I am in this country? Having said that I don't recall noticing the same in other countries, not even Canada.

I had some good craft beer in both US and Canada but I also enjoyed some of the local wines with my meals. BC wine was an eye opener - I have never seen that here whereas Washington state sauvignon blancs and California wines generally have been here and widely so for many years.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a pleasant morning here, sunny but not overly warm. I have my first diabetic review appointment with the practice nurse today at lunchtime. This is at the surgery not by telephone. 
I am not sure what else is happening, Aditi moved our usual food delivery from today to Friday evening. 
Tony

• Like 17

Morning, it's a hot one already, grass cutting delayed until it cools down later, a bit too bright for fishing, so might go out with the camera instead. The car visited the garage and the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong, whilst coming down a very steep mountain road I applied brakes to get round the right angled bend at the bottom and a rather unpleasant grating noise occurred, we surmise the calliper might have stuck on momentarily, but all seems to be working find, so no muddling tokens were required. Stay safe all and enjoy your day.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

On the subject of beer and food .......

As for ownership of breweries it can be a hobby on its own like trainspotting. Eg, Molson/Coors also owns Sharps. Your pint of Doom Bar is now brewed in Burton.

....and it is nothing like what it used to be - in  fact it's carp!

• Like 7
  • Agree 5