The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all

All this talk of Latin reminds me of the Romans go home scene in the life of Brian

My High school didn't have a Latin motto,.The blazer badge was very similar to the Towns Coat of arms that does have a Latin motto

Post mortem Patris pro Folio "After death of the Father we are for the Son.

It was first used by Royalist forces on siege coinage minted during one of the sieges of the Civil war, the garrison of Pontefract Castle was one of the last to surrender to Parliamentary forces after the death of King Charles 1.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear saw this contraption in use whilst wandering around Changwon, South Korea back in January 2019; I've never seen one in use in the UK before - I wonder if the removals guys have them over here?

IMG_0279.JPG.c2b26b0df5ed58df5380a56c4f2a75dc.JPG

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

As a majority of the population rent apartments, these contractions are pretty common in Switzerland, as they are in effective way to get large items of furniture in and out of “high altitude“ flats.  I’ve seen a few in action that go up about six stories, any higher than that and I believe that the apartment building has to have a freight elevator. 

Here's one in action in Barcelona:

IMG_2633.JPG.68f4390fc0064f85b7b96bced06f74ed.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I can not bite my tongue any more so I'm 'jumping in' here! (And I may be blunt!)

Sports.

I find the concept of professional (as in getting paid for participating) sports completely abhorrent and overrated. Can't they get a 'proper' job and contribute (non-financially) to the community?

When it's all boiled down, the 'professional' sports people are on a par with the likes of actors, comedians and other performance artists, i.e. merely providing an escape mechanism from the normal humdrum existence.

Yes, they are very much on the same level as performance artists etc., providing an escape mechanism from the normal humdrum existence. Are you, therefore, in favour of performance artists etc. also getting a 'proper' job and contributing (non-financially) to the community? I think they all have a function in society as it is.

Do people place too much importance in sport in their lives? Of course, many do. Do people place too much importance in the correctness of minor details on the latest product from Hornby etc.? Of course, many do. It's in the nature of the individuals, not in their subject of interest.

There's been discussion on here before about the amounts of money paid to professional athletes, specifically team athletes. I'll say again what I said then. The money is available because fans/supporters are prepared to pay what is asked for tickets, are prepared to buy team gear etc. They want success from the team. The owners want success, for financial and ego reasons. TV companies and their advertisers pay huge amounts to be associated. So these ridiculous amounts of money are offered to players. What are they supposed to do? Say "It's OK, I'll play for half that. You keep the rest."? If fans and/or owners were not prepared to supply what is being asked (or demanded - the function of agents has to be considered), things could change.

I've played organised (and disorganised!) football/soccer for over 60 years. I've watched it for almost as long. I enjoy watching experts in any field doing what they are good at, and I find it helps if I have some idea of the skills that are required. For example, seeing the work of experts on this site gives me pleasure (and can cause great frustration). I'm watching Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Lukaku and company at the moment and enjoying the skill on show. I will continue to watch and enjoy such skill, while still being mindful of the grubiness around it.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Danemouth said:

My school motto, added just before I left was "Veritas praevalebit" - "Truth will prevail"

As Happy Hippo, BR2975 and NHY581 are all Kairdiff boys as well as a few others it was Fitzalan Technical High School for Boys which I left on 5th February 1965.

Dave

Who celebrates his Ruby Wedding with SWMBO today :)

Oh dear, I came close to overlooking that!  Happy Anniversary

Chris

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Over here they are (usually) white! :biggrin_mini:

I wouldn't know ;)  

46 years of motoring, some of them at the wheel of large passenger-carrying devices, and still awaiting my first penalty point, fine, camera-ping or blameworthy incident.  

On that note it's Goodnight from Me.  And it's Goodnight from Him.  

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh, our school motto was something like  'Labor Omnia Vincit' - Work Conquers All.  Ish. 

Yikes! That's reminiscent of the sinister and infamous "Arbeit macht frei" (not Latin, I trust/hope the reference is known). (Not looking to prove Godwin's Law.)

Hot as forecast. 40°C on the patio. Headed for a new, all-time record of 44°C. Air conditioning functioning. Had a shortened walk today. It was 33°C at 10:30am. Televised golf is on while I peruse RMweb. Attentive readers may recall my inability to multi-task. The magic window on the wall is keeping me company more than anything else.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Yikes! That's reminiscent of the sinister and infamous "Arbeit macht frei" (not Latin, I trust/hope the reference is known). (Not looking to prove Godwin's Law.)

A friend had that on his office door or wall and no one recognized it for what it was; or, at least, its origin! :o

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

So these ridiculous amounts of money are offered to players. What are they supposed to do? Say "It's OK, I'll play for half that. You keep the rest."? 

Consider also that the small number of top players in any sport are mostly only really going to be in the top flight for a decade or so. By the time they're into their early/mid 30s, they're facing an uncertain future. That decade is really generating their lifetime earnings.

Which is still very many times my lifetime earnings!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

I do not wish to prolong the conversation about parking violations in the UK, but I note the occasional use of the word "pavement". To precisely what does this refer?

In context I have interpreted it to mean what would in the US be called a "sidewalk" and in Australia a "footpath". Wikipedia suggests this as British usage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I do not wish to prolong the conversation about parking violations in the UK, but I note the occasional use of the word "pavement". To precisely what does this refer?

In context I have interpreted it to mean what would in the US be called a "sidewalk" and in Australia a "footpath". Wikipedia suggests this as British usage.

Pavement is the same as sidewalk I believe. Footpath here is usually used for a path for pedestrians that isn’t necessarily associated with a road. You can though find public footpaths that are private roads. There are all kinds of other routes like bridleways with other rules. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It has a different meaning to highway engineers than in normal usage. According to the Institute of Civil Engineers  a pavement is "any man-made surface on natural ground that people, vehicles or animals can cross" but in normal British usage "pavement" means pretty much exactly the same as "sidewalk" in other words it is the part of a road to the side of the carriageway used by pedestrians. The difference may derive from early urbanisation when, in Britain, that part of the road was surfaced with paving stones while the carriageway was unpaved or surfaced with cobble stones. In America I believe that wooden boardwalks were fairly common  so "sidewalk" would cover both those and paved footways.

Terms such as footpath, bridleway, byway, footway and carriageway do have a legal meaning in Britain that may be slightly different from common usage. I was slightly surprised to learn that, legally, the term highway, actually includes all of them though, following American usage, most people in Britain would regard a highway as meaning a major through road as opposed to say a residential road.

Legally In Britain, a footpath is a right of way only open to walkers that can range from just being a route across the middle of a field, to a paved path in an urban area. The landowner can build a private (to wheeled vehicles) or farm road along it but that's up to them so long as they don't block the right of way for walkers. A bridleway is a right of way also open to cyclists, horse riders and led horses as well as to walkers (but not to horse drawn or mechanically propelled wheeled vehicles) A normal road is open to all users so, if it happens to have a defined pavement to form a footway, that is just part of the road and not a separate footpath.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Just to be awkward the pavement outside our front gate is also a footpath as it forms part of an ancient footpath route from the town to a nearby village.  Oddly  the stretch of pavement   well under 100 yards long - which passes in front of our house is the only stretch of 20th century road etc construction which exactly aligns with the original footpath (that  dates back to the 17th or 18th century).

G'night all

Interesting Mike

Is the road a private one (or was it orginally? If not, I suspect that, legally, that section of the original footpath may simply have been upgraded to a less restricted type of highway. If the road was built by the developers they may have had to preserve the original line of the footpath. I know you can't divert a footpath without legal steps but I've never been sure how much wriggle room there is for slight adjusments (a few feet) to their route without such measures. 

In the opposite sense there is an interesting oddity on Cap Ferret in S.W. France where the mile of so long roadside tramway that runs from a landing stage on the Arcachon Bay side of the narrow peninsula to the Atlantic beaches to the west was actually built before the roads it runs alongside. The tramway was built in the early 1950s by a light railway enthusiast (who operated it until he retired) at a time when housing development along its route had been planned and the land parcelled but not yet built. The line was built through forest but had to follow the exact route along the side of the not yet existent  roads. The roads and the houses alongside them didn't actually follow until a few years later.

Good night all.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

32 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

It has a different meaning to highway engineers than in normal usage. According to the Institute of Civil Engineers  a pavement is "any man-made surface on natural ground that people, vehicles or animals can cross"

That is the normal usage for "pavement" in the US and usually referring to a hard surface, rather than say a gravel/"metalled" road. A metalled road would properly be considered "paved", but I don't think most people here would colloquially call the surface "pavement".

Legally In Britain, a footpath is a right of way only open to walkers that can range from just being a route across the middle of a field, to a paved path in an urban area.

I understood the usage of "footpath" in Britain. Anything similar in US (and usually would not include crossing private land) would likely be called a "trail".

A bridleway is a right of way also open to cyclists, horse riders and led horses as well as to walkers (but not to horse drawn or mechanically propelled wheeled vehicles)

"Trail" or "horse trail" would be used in the US. In Chicago I lived near such a trail, converted (as a "rails-to-trails" project) from a disused electric interurban railway line in the western suburbs.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14