The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

AFAIK there were two bits of modern Cornwall in Devon.

First was the parish of Werrington and one other north of Launceston which were part of Devon until 1074 when the boundary was a moved back. According to Michael Wood this started in 1086 as one of the assessors for Devon owned land in both Devon and Cornwall, and you had to pay tax by county. A convenient bit of border movement meant that the two parishes were in Devon for nearly 900 years.

See this page and wander round the map to see the boundary
https://www.xyzmaps.com/traditional-cornwall-county-map

The second originated in Saxon times (705AD) when Maker and Rame (?) were given to Sherborne Abbey, and remained non-Cornish control until 1844.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker,_Cornwall

Edited by Coombe Barton
TYPOMAN active agan
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, polybear said:

Or even worse, Buildings Control :laugh:

Already done.  My mate Russ next door's semi is the one attached and he had "concerns."  As he works for the local council it only took a quick call to get his mate from Building Control to visit.  Apparently so far everything is being done as it should be.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Danemouth said:

All this talk of sport with tennis, cricket and kick-ball. Am I the only man in the UK who doesn't give a s0d for any of it :)

No :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A few twinges from Arthur Itis this morning but the Nurofen has sent him packing. The hay fever seems to be starting up a bit, by this time mine is usually tailing off. Depends on what type of pollen your allergic too. @The Stationmaster The reason the restaurant was closed early yesterday might be because they couldn't get the staff. Will have to find something to do this evening as I'm not a fan of kick-ball which is solid on the Beeb from 4.30.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

AFAIK there were two bits of modern Cornwall in Devon.

First was the parish of Werrington and one other north of Launceston which were part of Devon until 1074 when the boundary was a moved back. According to Michael Wood this started in 1086 as one of the assessors for Devon owned land in both Devon and Cornwall, and you had to pay tax by county. A convenient bit of border movement meant that the two parishes were in Devon for nearly 900 years.

See this page and wander round the map to see the boundary
https://www.xyzmaps.com/traditional-cornwall-county-map

The second originated in Saxon times (705AD) when Maker and Rame (?) were given to Sherborne Abbey, and remained non-Cornish control until 1844.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker,_Cornwall

So. would someone born in Monmouthshire during the period when it was pinched by the English now be Welsh or English? I have heard that making Monmouthshire part of England (though Wales as a whole had already been annexed) was the first phase of a dastardly sixteenth century plan to attach one Welsh county to England every generation or so thus gradually removing the very idea of Wales. I think "North Britain", immortalised in the North British Railway and the Locomotive company, was a similar notion of the Victorians to  homogenise Great Britain and probably Ireland too.   

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's a dull day here in England's northwest. Up late again this morning, so straight outside to do some work in the garden. 

I've already trimmed the 2 topiary box and the box hedge in the back garden, the wheelbarrow is now full and needs emptying, which I'll do once I've finished my muggertea. 

I'm another who doesn't watch the football, tennis etc. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later.

Brian 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Danemouth said:

All this talk of sport with tennis, cricket and kick-ball. Am I the only man in the UK who doesn't give a s0d for any of it :)

Here I am a Welshman with no time for Rugby :o

Dave

Other than I'm not in the UK, I'm with you!  If it hasn't got engines in it, I'm not interested.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Other than I'm not in the UK, I'm with you!  If it hasn't got engines in it, I'm not interested.

Personally I can sometimes get involved, albeit very passively, with spectator sport. 

As in I can watch snooker or golf on tv when my brain is in neutral.  

There was egg-chasing up the road yesterday which gave rise to some carrots on the road by late evening. The Wombletown Ball-bouncing championship starts tomorrow if the storms hold off.

That may mean a few more folk through the House of Fun and some of the older school-children dressed for bouncy-sphere collection rather than in school uniform. We shall see. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Drove to Elland. My umpire colleague was there but no one else.

I managed to find the managers mobile number."game cancelled on Thursday..due to covid...email sent"  email not sent to me.

Drove home and it started to rain..Pah!

I would remind the non sport lovers of my school motto "mens sana in corporate sano"    a healthy mind and a healthy body.

Time for lunch.

Baz 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

So. would someone born in Monmouthshire during the period when it was pinched by the English now be Welsh or English? I have heard that making Monmouthshire part of England (though Wales as a whole had already been annexed) was the first phase of a dastardly sixteenth century plan to attach one Welsh county to England every generation or so thus gradually removing the very idea of Wales. I think "North Britain", immortalised in the North British Railway and the Locomotive company, was a similar notion of the Victorians to  homogenise Great Britain and probably Ireland too.   

Depending upon what you understand by "being part of England", Monmouthshire was only liberated when it became Gwent in 1974 (Local Govt Act 1972).

I was born in 1957 in Glamorgan. Had I been born in Monmouthshire, I think that I would still consider myself to be Welsh.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

My School motto

Dat Deus Incrementum

Officially God gives growth

Unofficially For Chrissake give us a rise.

Bear's School Motto:

pedicabo id ipsum praesidium

Or "Bvgger That For A Game Of Soldiers"

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

2 hours ago, Danemouth said:

No, Sir, you are not!  We be of one blood, ye and I.

Chris

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear's School Motto:

pedicabo id ipsum praesidium

Or "Bvgger That For A Game Of Soldiers"

At my age I am considering a new motto:

Surgo ergo urinam  "I rise therefore I pee"  :jester:

On the other hand there is always the Pig-Latin "Nil carborundum illegitemi" which as many of us know is alleged to mean "Don't let the bar-stewards get you down".  Except it doesn't.  

So far as my schoolboy Latin was concerned I never quite saw the reason to learn translations for "The Gauls have ridden to Rome but Caesar's soldiers already knew all the women".  If we were going to learn something useful why not "Domine dirige nos - virtute et industria" ? ;)  

And now it's "De cubiculum ad culinam" in search of muggercoffy the third.   

• Like 14

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear saw this contraption in use whilst wandering around Changwon, South Korea back in January 2019; I've never seen one in use in the UK before - I wonder if the removals guys have them over here?

IMG_0279.JPG.c2b26b0df5ed58df5380a56c4f2a75dc.JPG

I’ve seen similar in Belgium that are mounted on a flat bed truck for removals and heavy goods deliveries. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

It's whoo mid all day, now with added heat as the sun came out.

Slabs moved, well a dozen of them, then back said no more, probably about the same to go again.

Fendering finished and a little touching up of the hull done. I'm not 100% happy with the paint it's not sticking as it should, I don't understand what's wrong,  the paint below is not anything special. What's on will have to do for now. But research will be needed before the next repaint.

Ben took me for his walk,. I saw 11 red deer in a field munching on the farmers crops, unfortunately as we were up wind of them they didn't hand around long..

The barley fields around us were green yesterday. Today they are yellow mostly..

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, chrisf said:

No, Sir, you are not!  We be of one blood, ye and I.

Chris

Well folks I am amazed that so many support my total lack of support or even liking for sporting activities especially when played by overpaid prima-donas.

However if you would like to join me in drinking large amounts of Port and Penderyn (not in the same glass I hasten to add) well I am game :)

Dave

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

My school motto, added just before I left was "Veritas praevalebit" - "Truth will prevail"

As Happy Hippo, BR2975 and NHY581 are all Kairdiff boys as well as a few others it was Fitzalan Technical High School for Boys which I left on 5th February 1965.

Dave

Who celebrates his Ruby Wedding with SWMBO today :)

Edited by Danemouth
My spelling is getting even worse!
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3