The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'm not big on road traffic stuff as we only really dealt with speeders and no insurance type things in youth justice (you can drive at 16 here) they didn't seem to get done for parking offences, but our Highway Code is much the same as the UK version, so the quotes from our Compounded friend apply equally - but the Highway Code isn't law, just (strong) advice.

The Introduction to the Highway Code states:

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. "

So, in the Rules I cited, parking on the pavement is illegal in London and disapproved of elsewhere; parking against the direction of flow is illegal at night and discouraged by day.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

* Many Cornish folk object to Cornwall being included as part of England, myself included.  This is not the place to score political points.  Other opinions are available.

Being half Cornish and as much as I would like to agree with this subject, like it or not Cornwall is most certainly a part of England, notwithstanding the  presence of the Tamar.  It does not provide a demarcation line as much as we would like to think it is but it does provide a suitable barrier to invasion from either side:good_mini:!  It has been this way for countless eons and in spite of Kernow and its klansmen will remain so as Mr. Trelawney nearly found out the hard way.:smile_mini2:

Brian

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

One thing I have noticed about the modern bus is the overhang over the front axle of the bus presumably to allow the step to be lowered to make the bus accessible. The problem is buses cannot get round corners without taking the whole road.

Agreed, and even the not so modern. The bus in which I learned to drive (Western SMT ML2341 as it happens) has a reasonably long front overhang, as did most of the ones I subsequently drove in service.

The first time I drove a (preserved) half-cab bus, with very little in the way of front overhang, I positioned the vehicle to make a right turn as I would for all the previously driven vehicles and promptly 'kerbed' the front nearside wheel; only did it the once mind. :)

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

15 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The weekend weather forecast through Monday continues to be for temperatures in the 39°C range - over the century mark in Fahrenheit. Sunday is expected to see (all time) record temperatures which may be in the range of 44°C - 46°C.

Hopefully my electrical and air conditioning infrastructure will be up to the task. I don't plan to spend much time out of doors.

Mike, in old fashioned terms for the us in the US, highs around 104F are forecast as well as for the next few days as well.  Hopefully the A/C will hold up as we hope ours will also and that the power company can cope.

Brian.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 minutes ago, brianusa said:

... around 104F are forecast as well as for the next few days as well

Yes, both the Portland and Puget Sound areas are forecast to record their highest ever temperatures.

There is plenty of water behind the hydroelectric dams on the Columbia so hopefully there will be sufficient electricity.

My son does not have air conditioning*. He borrowed some fans yesterday. Of course I offered to have him stay here if it got too hot, but I think he might try to macho it out.

* Not at all unusual in the Pacific Northwest.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

17 minutes ago, brianusa said:

... that was usually an excuse if you didn't have A/C!

After our first summer in Portland (having moved from Chicago) my wife decreed that we install air conditioning. The house faced southwest* (as does my current home) and it made an enormous difference.

* The metal sheathed front door had a semicircular light (window) with a plasticky/vinyl trim. The trim and glue eventually warped/melted in he heat.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is plenty of water behind the hydroelectric dams on the Columbia so hopefully there will be sufficient electricity.

Ah, but is the transmission system up to it?

The Lower Mainland of BC is also expecting record temperatures through till Tuesday at least. We don’t have AC - we’ll be retreating to the basement. Large parts of the province are also possibly going to be breaking records - apparently we are under a phenomenon known as a ‘heat dome’.

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Cornwall as a part of the UK - yes 

Cornwall as a part of England - no. 

As per my earlier post other opinions are available.  However we do, in common with the Scots, Irish, Welsh, Manx and (arguably) the Cumbrian have our own language which is commonly understood and spoken daily by some of us. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Depends on where you live. Yorkshire folk think England is part of Yorkshire.

With its own Prince Bishop Durham has aways seen the rest of England as an "Annex".

Of course as King Arthur had his round table in Northumbria one starts to wonder wether England contains any county and how it stays as a country.. could it be something to do with money???

Baz

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Introduction to the Highway Code states:

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. "

So, in the Rules I cited, parking on the pavement is illegal in London and disapproved of elsewhere; parking against the direction of flow is illegal at night and discouraged by day.

The Highway Code is not law.  It may refer to the law, but the actual law is the relevant parts of the Road Traffic Act etc.  It is perhaps best described as a guide to the law.  

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The Highway Code is not law.  It may refer to the law, but the actual law is the relevant parts of the Road Traffic Act etc.  It is perhaps best described as a guide to the law.  

Indeed. But it is clear that when it uses MUST or MUST NOT, it is stating the law. Quibbling over this point won't get you off if you're caught parking on the pavement in London!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Indeed. But it is clear that when it uses MUST or MUST NOT, it is stating the law. Quibbling over this point won't get you off if you're caught parking on the pavement in London!

Except where the bays are marked and you are required to park across the pavement. In default of which you might in fact be parked unlawfully for being outside (or partially outside) the marked bay and potentially obstructing the carriageway. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

......... to a former brewery in Horndean, Hampshire;

Ah, Gales!       What a fine pint HSB was!

Not having driven through Horndean for 20+ years I hadn't realised (until I looked it up) that that fine brewery closed in 2006.    

I see they were taken over by Fullers and that HSB is apparently still available.   I bet it's not the same ..... :mad:

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

It's just closed rmweb while I was looking at the screen thinking of the next line to insult you all with.

And lost the text.

The most common place to find cars parked on the pavement? Out side the North Norwich police station, now they all seem to have their own individual cop car to drive, there's not enough parking for their own cars so they're all half parked on the pavement.

Districts that are separate?

The Norwegian Orkneys and Shetlands.

The Gaidhlig Highlands,

The viking lords of the isles would say the Hebrides,

Northumbria of course includes the east of Scotland up to and including Edinburgh, thats part of the reason the Scots speak English.

Cumbria which included much of south west Scotland.

And as for you Wessex folk you can keep out of the Danelaw...

Me I'm a foreigner every where and a local...

Just back from the MRC, a whole two of us out of the six person bubble, one is off playing with kettles , in some part of wales he normally brings another with him. One has left due to ill health, and one just didn't turn up..

After a difficult start with recalcitrant woodwork, once that was sorted I did a reasonable amount of muddling..

Now partaking of some liquid that travelled through many of the aforesaid regions, to get to me..

Time to sleep said Zebedee.. goodnight Awl.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Mixed responses.

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

I make that six...

Those hailing from Romney Marsh regard that as the fifth quarter of the globe. (Europe, the Americas, Africa and Asia being the less important ones). Quite how that is reconciled into UK (or British) regions is another matter. 

Others may know more but I thought the UK's 'regions' were a device the EU formulated. If we're not in that club any more, then do their eight English 'regions' exist any longer? I can see a case for the UK being comprised of nations (in which case I'd count Cornwall in) and counties ('independence' for both Cornwall & IoW) and member countries (potentially much trickier and more controversial depending on your point of view - some would argue for recognition for (amongst others) Wessex, Northumbria or Powys). Regions always struck me as being rather artificial. Unless of course they are defined by the areas covered by the Big Four?

I agree that I added IoW after stating '5'. As an Engineer, one day I may learn to count*! :jester:

24 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Ah, Gales!       What a fine pint HSB was!

Not having driven through Horndean for 20+ years I hadn't realised (until I looked it up) that that fine brewery closed in 2006.    

I see they were taken over by Fullers and that HSB is apparently still available.   I bet it's not the same ..... :mad:

The water used to make the brew was, I believe, the major factor; Chiswick being a tad remote from Horndean, much adjustment to the brew was necessary to try and retain the flavour!

* Counting (especially as company stock take is looming!), doesn't that comprise 1, 2, many? :jester: (Will be interesting to see who gets the double entendre therein!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 15