The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Good day all from a grey and wet West London.

I've just heard from my oldest friend that her GP has told her that the hospital has decided not to proceed with her well overdue hip replacment because of her diabetes. She had that when her other hip was replaced three or four years ago and I don't think it's any worse now . Before Covid the surgeon had told her to lose weight before he'd do the operation which she has. At that time she was walking with a stick, now she can hardly move,  is having to use a frame, is in constant agonising pain, terrified of falling and sometimes can't even get out of bed. Understndably she was in tears when I spoke to her after lunch. Given the backlog I'm  wondering if they're rationing surgery to the more straightforward cases.  My friend  is in her late sixties but is in a worse place than my mother was in her late nineties.

Not a good day!

No doubt waving a cheque book would quickly remove all surgical complications.......

Cynical etc. etc......

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

In the evening went to see "In the Heights" with our friends. First theatre experience since COVID struck. Anyone wanting to see something fun, musical, amazing choreography and with ZERO violence, be sure to take it in.

ZERO?  Now that is a headline.  Even Tom & Jerry (remember them?) had it's share.  Boy, I really miss those guys - my Grandad loved them, and to be able to watch an episode or two with him now...well I'd give up LDC forever....:cry:

I guess they're not considered "PC" now - I've not seen them on the TV for years.  Bl00dy madness, bearing in mind the sicko cr@p they're happy to broadcast nowadays.

Is that a rant?

28 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

XL250.jpg.0f4e1e0fff5d8b35878599acf88d52c7.jpg

Now Bear could really go for a bike like that - a nice size, looks good, manageable.....I was about to say easy to maintain too....

Oops...

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... and I fancied something of European origin to celebrate summer ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2021/06/21/contradicting-themselves/

Just after I posted, from a correspondent in Cornwall. Yesterday, St. Ives had  920.1 cases per 100,000! Falmouth had 800 and something! They’re denying that their summit had anything to do with it as their entourage was tested but fail to mention the journalists that aren’t included in their entourage but the general throng in the Pedn Olva the first place in St Ives close with 3/4 of their staff infected. All those protestors too...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold

What a difference from yesterday, when an afternoon was spent basking in hot sun watching cricket. The lads had a brilliant win against the top team to overtake them at the top. Little Thomas got his best score so far with 15 not out off 11 balls, not bad for someone who should be playing U9 level appearing in the U11 team. Sammy got a bit ratty after being hit for 4 then came steaming in for the next ball which almost took took the batsman's bootlace out on the way to hitting middle and off.

Today, after a sunny start with a bit of the G word followed by coffee in the sun the day went downhill. Cloud came in and the temperature dropped rapidly. A stiff north wind got up so it was lunch in the conservatory and indoor jobs. Upside was that I successfully converted a pair of MTB wheels to tubeless tyres for Mrs SE so I may be allowed some quiet time in the Railway Room for the remainder of the evening. 

The rain hasn't reached this far so watering will again be required unless we get some later.. Doh.

20 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Don't worry I have a piece of paper that says I'm qualified to dig holes yet I still dig them wrong.:P

The first thing I thought of when I read this comment 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShvgXZQBTs

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Like 15
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

About to tackle Farcebook. Last night I seemed to go through my groups in double quick time and then I realised many of them had gone AWOL, it seems that Farcebook were making changes. The groups returned eventually but it was well past bedtime when they did come back so I will have to check them tonight.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The weather thingy is showing 13C and sunny WTF! It hasn't been sunny at all today and certainly not now at 9:45 even on the longest day.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I guess they're not considered "PC" now - I've not seen them on the TV for years.

There is a new full length “Tom and Jerry” film out now. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

ZERO?  Now that is a headline.  Even Tom & Jerry (remember them?) had it's share.  Boy, I really miss those guys - my Grandad loved them, and to be able to watch an episode or two with him now...well I'd give up LDC forever....:cry:

I guess they're not considered "PC" now - I've not seen them on the TV for years.  Bl00dy madness, bearing in mind the sicko cr@p they're happy to broadcast nowadays.

Is that a rant?

I can't understand how it is OK to broadcast Naked Attraction but not Tom and Jerry. 

Some very muddled thinking going on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There is a new full length “Tom and Jerry” film out now. 

Trailers looked truly dreadful.

The Looney Tunes cast (WB rather than MGM) will return in Space Jam: A New Legacy with LeBron James leading the live action v. Toon Squad basketball movie rather than Michael Jordan who appeared in the original Space Jam. This seems to me to be the very definition of a derivative work.

Culture warriors tried to make an issue out of the rapacious (or at least wannabe) Pepé le Pew not appearing in Space Jam: A New Legacy. Guess what? No one cared.

I wonder if perhaps lack of interest is similarly a contributor to Tom and Jerry not being on television.

While they may have helped build the "House of Mouse" (currently the biggest entertainment company in the world), excepting as a study of the history of animation in film in terms of technique, structure and subject matter, Silly Symphonies are almost unwatchable as entertainment.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening orl.

Sunny now on Fraggle Rock. I can't recommend travel to Heysham from stations to the south of the UK via Douglas - rather expensive and time consuming!  Also the pronunciation of Heysham causes issues - even amongst Hesyhamites..... Hay-sham or He-sham?  I had a pal that lived there, and the locals use both.

The Big News is I have finally mastered that bl**dy bike engine, at the third time of rebuilding.  The firm that did the rebore simply made a dogs of it, now I have it apart and measured up.  I eventually managed to find used but good parts to rebuild it again, with new but genuine piston rings, and all is now well, the smokescreen is banished.

XL250.jpg.0f4e1e0fff5d8b35878599acf88d52c7.jpg

Nice, but I'll up you an old Sammy Miller 200 Trials from about 1977.

85597388_Honda150004.JPG.72ba4d6575be593357f0dab9794ce7ac.JPG

• Like 14