The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s dull at the moment but the sun is trying to shine, but the forecast is for rain at some point today. 

As Vickie and Ian are calling round this morning, I’m not going to do anything that will make a mess, well not until they’ve gone anyway! So I’ll just potter about in the cellar after I’ve watered the plants, this is just in case it doesn’t rain, as the weekend has been dry, (apart from Saturday/Sunday evening) when we were forecast rain. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PupCam said:

best price found was 

I have noticed that the price of things like fans and pumps vary a lot for the same item, even ignoring the ones with really low prices but no stock. 

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Greetings all from a Sidcup which is reposing under a grey pall of cloud, being doused in cold rain. Midsummer?

A very quiet weekend was had, chores fulfilled and sports watched. Now it is back to another week at work. Elder Lurker was supposed to be helping with sports days for a number of the years this week but I suspect that they will all be rearranged. One of the advantages of Covid is that they can't invite parents in to watch, which makes things much more flexible. Mind you, my parents were never invited to sports day when I was at primary school and there was no excuse about lockdowns back then!

Anyway I suppose I had better get on. Have a good day all

• Like 19

Morning, 

Been across to the lady opposite for a chinwag and a bit of the g word.

Pitstop and a cup of coffee. On that motor racing note, what did you think to the trophies handed out yesterday at the French GP.  They’re certainly going to look distinctive on the mantle piece.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I have a similar problem when SWMBO switches on her reading lamp - the tv goes blank. However, after about 10 seconds the picture comes back and the box doesn't re-set. I have put this down to some form of sensitivity to power surges. I'm afraid I gave up with phoning the company many years ago because I can't understand what the call centre staff are saying. Their fast talking sub-continent accent is far too complex for my ears. If I ask them to repeat their last sentence, they treat me as if I am some awkward 7-year old. 

What sort of bulb is fitted in SWMBO's reading lamp? If its one of those long life bulbs that could be the reason as when they are switched on they take quite a bit of power to start up. Best option is a LED bulb as they also give a better light for reading.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, I have sole control of my life today.

A miserable 15c and overcast, really not an inspiring day.  At least it is dry.

Not sure yet what to do, but that bike engine is looking at me with a glint in its evil eye.  I'll beat it yet....

Sun glasses work well when wanting to avoid the evil eye I've found.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

If your anything like me Tony, You would probably dig it WRONG.:angry:     :fie:      :laugh:

Don't worry I have a piece of paper that says I'm qualified to dig holes yet I still dig them wrong.:P

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Rain seems to have eased off but the sew aweed says that is only an illusion so we'll see what happens next.  So thus far the G word activity is deferred.  

No other items of massive import have occurred but I was amazed to read upthread of  roofing tiles only lasting 20 years.  That sounds like built in obsolescence to me presumably intended to keep manufacturers and roofers in work forever.   There is a bungalow at the top of our road which is roofed with cedar shingles and I can remember it being built which makes it at least 50 years old (more likely 60 in fact) and it has never to my knowledge been renewed.   Tiled and slated roofs around here, including the house opposite, are far older but if anything at all goes its some of the timber inside that has to be replaced and the outer covering is reused.

A foraging party has been despatched to Tesco so we'll see what the return with.

Have a good day folks and stay safe.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I have a similar problem when SWMBO switches on her reading lamp - the tv goes blank. However, after about 10 seconds the picture comes back and the box doesn't re-set. I have put this down to some form of sensitivity to power surges.

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

What sort of bulb is fitted in SWMBO's reading lamp? If its one of those long life bulbs that could be the reason as when they are switched on they take quite a bit of power to start up. Best option is a LED bulb as they also give a better light for reading.

Sounds sensible - if that doesn't work then perhaps a surge & spike arrester adapter will help?

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Does anyone seriously consider that taking the train between London and Heysham, even though there is but one train a day. requires the somewhat indirect route via Fraggle Rock???

337576941_Screenshot2021-06-21at13_31_48.png.daa9768c418ed8e85a9a51781515a6f6.png

That route to Heysham cropped up for me. Leeds to Heysham via Liverpool and Fraggle Rock for £17 or thereabout.  A long night on Douglas pier though. I caught yhd direct train from Leeds in the end.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Back from mi short break to Barmouth,  fantastic weather and a great time had.

As there's 13 pages to catch up with, please forgive me if I just take the cop out and offer generic  greetings and we'll wishes to all in need of them. 

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, petethemole said:

PS I went downstairs to realise the heating had come on, because I left the back door open earlier for Tigger to go out and the wind blowing in was cool enough to trigger the thermostat.

My heating has come into play its that cold. 13C. outside according to the weather thingy. Summer solstice? as Baz would say, Pah!

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3