The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Have you tried to Googling for such faults with your make and model of TV?  

If not, you might find out something of use.  

If you have, apologies for "Teaching grandmother to suck eggs"!   

Alan

I'm not sure as to whether it is the TV or the Virgin box. When I switched off this evening I checked both for heat. The TV was not even warm but the box was so I will be contacting Virgin in the morning to check to see if that is normal.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A neighbour across the road is having his house re roofed and 3 men are now up there throwing tiles into a lorry.  They have an assortment of plant to make the job easier, including a telehandler and a small mobile tower crane.  It's interesting  seeing how they manouvre a small skip with the crane without catching the telephone wires.

As well as watching the antics of the roofers, grass cutting has been mentioned today.

Contracting roofers has been a popular activity in my neighbourhood - not taking holidays, people seem to have some extra cash for renovations. While my home is newer, most of the houses are pushing 20 years - the lifetime for typical roofs here.

Some have opted for an anti-moss treatment.

Roofing here does not require a lot of equipment besides a truck or dumpster/skip to cart away the old roofing material. Most roofs are asphalt tiles over plywood (with a membrane barrier in between) and the process includes the near constant staccato of nail guns. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Contracting roofers has been a popular activity in my neighbourhood - not taking holidays, people seem to have some extra cash for renovations. While my home is newer, most of the houses are pushing 20 years - the lifetime for typical roofs here.

Some have opted for an anti-moss treatment.

Roofing here does not require a lot of equipment besides a truck or dumpster/skip to cart away the old roofing material. Most roofs are asphalt tiles over plywood (with a membrane barrier in between) and the process includes the near constant staccato of nail guns. 

That's interesting.  Here the roofs are all proper tiles.  Either semi round ones placed alternately facing up or down, flatish under tiles with semi round ones on top or the modern combined ones that have a flat section joined to a semi round section.   I'll try and post some pictures.  The old tiles all go to landfill mainly. Under the tiles there are rough boards about 8" wide laid over the rafters.  Us Brits, being awkward insist on having a breathable waterproof membrane or bache, laid over the boards.  There is a lot of weight up there.   

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot of older style tiles in the UK go to reclaim yards, for reuse on buildings that require them.. I must go get few more for my back up stock for the house.

Our house was reroofed around 1980 when it was 76 years old, same tiles just taken off, battens replaced (woodworm) (no boards) a modern waterproof membrane then tiles put on again..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm not sure as to whether it is the TV or the Virgin box. When I switched off this evening I checked both for heat. The TV was not even warm but the box was so I will be contacting Virgin in the morning to check to see if that is normal.

Bear would be aiming at a call saying "I think my Virgin Box is playing up" rather than asking about heat etc.  An engineer visit from them is (I assume) free, but a new TV will cost you tokens...

40 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

......and the process includes the near constant staccato of nail guns. 

One of the roofers that worked on Bear's Conservatory eight years ago (and who may well reappear tomorrow) managed to put a nail thru' his finger with a gun at one of the other jobs he worked on.  The lads said he carried on working for several hours before disappearing off to hospital - he was admitted and it was a day or so before they removed the nail as they needed to be sure of the best way to do it.

In other news:

Lovers of fine cuisine (cake, pizza....) look away now....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57544235

Bear plans to start by getting the L-shaped section of cornice fitted, then convert it to the finished U-shaped section by adding the 3rd piece.  Special words are on standby, just in case.....

Then it'll be pondering how to create more of a "built in" look to the free-standing fridge freezer; on the right is a wall, and on the left is a tall decorative panel (viewed edge-on).  What I'm planning will effectively be a "door frame" appearance around the F/F so it hopefully looks better.  Cutting of wood on the saw table will be required, but judging by the weather forecast (= p.down all day) that looks decidedly unlikely.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 18

Well we are still being we'd upon, but its not cold, so no need for the heating.

Walk will obviously be cancelled as I'm a fair weather walker and so an early shave, shower and breakfast is the order of the day.

Shopping is due at 09-30, so;

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

A lot of older style tiles in the UK go to reclaim yards, for reuse on buildings that require them.. I must go get few more for my back up stock for the house.

Our house was reroofed around 1980 when it was 76 years old, same tiles just taken off, battens replaced (woodworm) (no boards) a modern waterproof membrane then tiles put on again..

That's basically what Bear is to have done - hopefully this week, weather permitting.  Luckily Bear rescued a stack of tiles from buddy next door when he had some velux windows installed - which has pleased Tom the roofer cos' whilst replacement new tiles are available it seems some bozo decided they would now be metric rather than imperial, so have to be juggled a bit when mixing and matching.  Also they have already been weathered so will match the existing roof rather than stick out like a sore thumb as a new tile would.  Of course hopefully there won't be any breakages.....

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was doing his thing this morning but has now gone quiet without the need for Nurofen. TV is behaving itself this morning and if the box heats up again I will contact Virgin, even if it doesn't I'll ask them to check it out. They re-roofed the houses on the estate that still belonged to the housing association or the council about ten years ago. They replaced all of the tiles as the style fitted was no longer made. I took advantage and managed to recover about forty undamaged ones (they were thrown from roof height into a skip and many were damaged). Waiting for the rain to arrive, will have to venture out for bread and milk but otherwise its a good day to stay indoors.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

That's basically what Bear is to have done - hopefully this week, weather permitting.  Luckily Bear rescued a stack of tiles from buddy next door when he had some velux windows installed - which has pleased Tom the roofer cos' whilst replacement new tiles are available it seems some bozo decided they would now be metric rather than imperial, so have to be juggled a bit when mixing and matching.  Also they have already been weathered so will match the existing roof rather than stick out like a sore thumb as a new tile would.  Of course hopefully there won't be any breakages.....

I was posting above when you posted that. The estate is just over sixty years old and the tiles used are no longer available so any spares are useful.

• Like 15

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I was watching Antiques Roadshow when I decided to switch the light off. I switched the TV off instead :banghead: needless to say it went into scan mode when I switched it back on. Had to leave it for ten to fifteen minutes before it went back to normal and I'll have to check that nothing is overheating next time I switch on.

I have a similar problem when SWMBO switches on her reading lamp - the tv goes blank. However, after about 10 seconds the picture comes back and the box doesn't re-set. I have put this down to some form of sensitivity to power surges. I'm afraid I gave up with phoning the company many years ago because I can't understand what the call centre staff are saying. Their fast talking sub-continent accent is far too complex for my ears. If I ask them to repeat their last sentence, they treat me as if I am some awkward 7-year old. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

Cloudy, cold and breezy here in North Somerset; but dry. 

I am wondering how close we might get to a "1972" today. That was the year when over parts of the UK the daytime maximum on June 21st was lower than the maximum on the previous December 21st. A very rare occurrence here, but then 1972 was one of the worst summers of the 20th century. 

It is too cold to be outside, so more slide scanning is likely. 

• Informative/Useful 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, I have sole control of my life today.

A miserable 15c and overcast, really not an inspiring day.  At least it is dry.

Not sure yet what to do, but that bike engine is looking at me with a glint in its evil eye.  I'll beat it yet....

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is overcast and I suspect about to rain. 
Aditi is hoping to plant a rose by the front door before the forecast heavier rain starts. I tidied the area where the rose will go yesterday and did offer to dig the hole but apparently Aditi is keen to do it. 
Tony

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

It is overcast and I suspect about to rain. 
Aditi is hoping to plant a rose by the front door before the forecast heavier rain starts. I tidied the area where the rose will go yesterday and did offer to dig the hole but apparently Aditi is keen to do it. 
Tony

If your anything like me Tony, You would probably dig it WRONG.:angry:     :fie:      :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1