The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I found out what turned the dial down on the fridge. The dial is close to the hinge side of the door and the top of a pot of yoghurt on the door shelf brushed against the dial every time the door was shut. 

I wondered why the light in my new fridge regularly failed to come on, then the next day would be fine. Tracked it down to it having a "Sabbath" setting set as default so every Saturday the light would stay off and the motor wouldn't run.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

When I took early retirement the HR department faffed and farted about so much that when they told me that it had been granted I told them that I was going to take the two months leave that I was entitled to starting tomorrow and that would take me up to my leaving date. The panic on their faces was a joy to behold. In the end I agreed to work the first month of my leave which meant that I was paid double for that month. Rick, that seems an over complicated way of making pension deductions as tax operates on a weekly or calendar month basis and if your pension deductions are like most not taxable it must create enormous problems for the payroll department.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

When I took early retirement the HR department faffed and farted about so much that when they told me that it had been granted I told them that I was going to take the two months leave that I was entitled to starting tomorrow and that would take me up to my leaving date. The panic on their faces was a joy to behold.

A friend ended up working the last few years of his working life at an Engineering Firm in Hoddesdon - he hated the place.  On his 65th birthday he walked into the Bosses' Office and handed in his pass - the Boss was somewhat confused.  My friend announced that as he was 65 that day he was now retired.  To say that the Boss - and HR - were embarrassed was an understatement.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5

28 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

HR : Hopeless Retards.  In my opinion most should join the telephone sanitisers and advertising account executives on the B-ark to Golgafrincham.  Planet Earth would spin more easily and life would be better without them.  Nothing personal. It’s the job not the individuals.

I would say the individuals can have a great influence. I worked in a British civil service establishment where the HR department was superb, entirely due to the personality and character of the person in charge. They (he, really) acted between management, union and individual staff members with complete impartiality and discretion and were/was genuinely respected by all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, pH said:

Rogue gnomes?

There are various items of what I suppose are forms of sculpture but no gnomes. The annual scarecrow exhibition does have some dubious looking characters though.  

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

just catching up on Barnsley Casualty on 5+1 just in case I see anyone I know.

I find it amusing that they have to put subtitles on to cut through the Barnsley accent

It’s not my kind of programme so don’t watch it  but staff at work tell me it’s just like being at work, the same old faces turning up,

• Like 13
  • Agree 1