The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Cricket umpiring has become a bit easier to do. With warmer, drier weather no more need to wear loadsofclothes to kep warm.

Next door have been building a flight deck.. his house building costs have just rocketed as his builder can't start his extension due to lack of materials. The retired builder from over the road called over last week. He is sure that whoever buys the house when "complete" will be buying a heap of trouble.

Stay safe! Hopefully I will be enjoying a pint with Roundhouse and his good lady on Sunday.wooopppiiiiddddoo!

Mugateatime.

Baz

Probably sitting on board that ship that ran aground in the Suez Canal. He may be asked to contribute towards the ransom cough cough 'compensation'.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

28 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Possibly that many complaints should lead to a 100% cut in bonus. I know that colleagues in my last job used to get irritated that senior management got increased bonus payments for restricting staff salaries.

Its a sliding scale. a 0% would only happen if he was rated "fails to meet objectives". Normally by then he would be on the ropes. The 5% cut would be down to meet v exceed. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Gosh yes, congrats to Andrew C, well done to escape the Directorate of Cockwombles. Yay! :friends:

I wouldn't hold any hopes of anything happening to the wrangler/mangler though - as an aside it is their manager's, not HR's job, to do something about him/her.  HR may help the manager through the process, but managers are paid to manage and make decisions - HR are not, they just advise the manager on process. #takes off old HR hat#.  We get the blame for everything......

Working in the payroll department and also being a union rep I saw HR from both sides. Generally they were quite helpful and we had one really good HR manager but unfortunately he was so good that he was 'head-hunted' by another employer. I was union rep on a few disciplinaries with him and they were usually settled between us before the actual meeting of which many were unnecessary in the first place.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

in the terms of HR haven't a clue the latest person offered to my boss as a deputy..

"he's a mechanical engineer, but he is learning the 18th edition...."

• Funny 19

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry too much aboit mechanical engineers - they seem to be adaptable from what I've seen over the years - unless of course they'd turned out to be better managers than engineers.  I had at various times as immediate bosses one who'd entered GWR service as a marine engneering cadet and was on tankers as a 3rd during WWII; one who was a time served Swindon works apprentice (who'd done his journeyman time in Antarctica before going back to BR); and i worked with one as my 'sort of boss' who'd done his time at Eastleigh works.  There were a couple of signal engineers who'd transferred to the operating side but I got my own back on them when I left the big railway and went to work for a signal engineering company where my  expertise in mechanical locking charts occasionally came in handy (not that I could sign off that sort of thing although I did sign off some drawings of something else for one job).

So nothing wrong with engineers moving on but for highly technical jobs they  definitely need to be those who know their limits.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't worry too much aboit mechanical engineers - they seem to be adaptable from what I've seen over the years -

A mechanical engineer is fine, just not for needing to be able to design electronics test equipment and write software for it. He probably could with a bit of training do some of the required maths..

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, polybear said:

This Bear will go for the visible chips, thanks all the same.  Though not at seven and a half notes....

I dunno - that would be a pretty decent portion of chips.  I might even get through them in one sitting ;)  

Afternoon all.  It's been hot and is still being hot.  I am about to exit the premises in charge of a cooled (but not chilled) can of Jawbone's Longshore Gang IPA.  I may be some time :D  

• Like 16