The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

arrangement of its paragraphs

This was quite an issue for Matthew when he went to study in Utrecht. The kind of paragraph he had been used to writing n England and Canada was most definitely not approved. They had to be short, and really just be arranged as bullet points. When he went to Ireland he was told to write proper sentences again. He was relieved. 
There should be a course manual specifying the format for references. Aditi used  “cite while you write” software for her thesis that could produce every format possible but it did stick them at the end. They didn’t count towards word limits either. My nephew’s fiancée is doing a Masters in nursing at the moment. I will ask her what she is doing about references. I know she and Aditi had a chat about them recently but I wasn’t paying attention. I was however impressed that not only is Bianca doing a masters degree part time, English is her third language. 

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

What a lovely weekend.

Still got a little burned but I forgot to top up with sun lotion.

On a related subject, I asked what the difference is between these:

Sun block

Sun tan lotion

Sun screen

Sun cream

Sun lotion

And we came to the conclusion that in the olden days, there may have been a difference but they're all interchangeable now.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Done a bit of the G word this evening, a patch of the front garden that I had intended to gravel and I had placed a piece of old carpet on the area. It came in useful as to get rid of the weeds I only had to roll the old carpet up. Only downside was it had been peed on by the local cats and ponged more than a bit. No problem getting rid of it as my neighbour has a skip and gave me permission to use it. Its a bit cooler now but tomorrow is predicted to be a hot one (again).

• Like 17

Goodnight all

Too hot and humid do much today but I did walk to some friends for afternoon tea in their garden. I see them both on Zoom almost every week but I haven't actually met them in person since last July  even though they live just over a mile and a half away.  Home made scones, cream and an assorment of jams including the produce of my blackberry bushes and that of the damsons from another friend's garden. All very civilised.

• Like 18

Today is the anniversary of the riot in Vancouver in 1994, after the local hockey team lost in game 7 (the last possible one) of the Stanley Cup final. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=1994+stanley+cup+riot&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the riot in Vancouver in 2011, after the local hockey team lost in game 7 (the last possible one) of the Stanley Cup final.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=2011+stanley+cup+riot&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

4 hours ago, pH said:

Today is the anniversary of the riot in Vancouver in 1994, after the local hockey team lost in game 7 (the last possible one) of the Stanley Cup final.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the riot in Vancouver in 2011, after the local hockey team lost in game 7 (the last possible one) of the Stanley Cup final.

With the Canucks not in the playoffs there shouldn't be any danger of that happening again this year?

I won't play dumb and ask how many times the Canucks won Lord Stanley's Cup. :(

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

On a related subject, I asked what the difference is between these:

Sun block

Sun tan lotion

Sun screen

Sun cream

Sun lotion

In days gone by (before people understood how bad carcinoma and melanoma* really could be) sun tan lotion was about intentionally turning white skin brown - hence brand names like "Coppertone".

* My grandmother's cause of death.

Just about everything on your list except 'sun block' and 'sun screen' was about turning brown. What you don't have specifically is things like coconut oil and cocoa butter - whose purpose is to darken (crisp) the skin, essentially like basting a turkey.

Tanning oils are still available for those foolish enough to use them.

Before modern high-SPF sun blocks, zinc oxide was ubiquitous in Australia. Thick and greasy and usually applied to the nose and cheeks, it did the job.

At one point 'sun block' would refer to high-SPF and 'sun screen' a lower SPF that permitted some tanning.

The southern hemisphere hole in the Ozone layer was a wake-up call for Australia and attitudes moved strongly away from deliberate sun-tanning, in part due to this 1981 advertising campaign.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 14

Mornin'

Random post in editor (again). Looks like today has the makings of a warm one (23°C) the wind is also coming from a different direction to usual as there is much more traffic noise than is the norm for these parts.

Not sure yet what today might have in store, there's work (naturally) and maybe washing of the car later, beyond that who knows.

Black (can I say that these days?) bin day today and it sounds like the collectors are already nearby.

Although I'm clearly awake, I am refusing to get out of bed until the alarm sounds at 07:00 :)

Make the best of Tuesday folks, 'til later.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather is a little sunnier than yesterday and set to be 5C warmer than yesterday. Breakfast has now been consumed and I’ll head off to the dining room and wait for Ian to call. He’s dropping by after dropping the kids at school, so will be here just after 9 o’clock, as Evie’s school is less than 1/4 mile away. Well then head off to the big orange DIY shed and get the last few sheets of plasterboard and the flooring. I’m hoping that by late afternoon, I’ll have the last wall completed. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all from a Sidcup which, like many other places, is slightly fresher today. The grey cloud cover looks under threat from the sun.

We await what might happen to the British Grand Prix, which is the day before lockdown is now supposed to end. With 300,000 attendees over the weekend, we fear some kind of rationing of places, even though it is a big open space. Still, what will be will be.

In the meanwhile we have been watching in the football - major tournaments are the only sports that Mrs Lurker condones and thus the only time that we all watch the telly together. The second Czechia goal was a treat, and I was disappointed that a Swedish striker managed to miss when it seemed easier to score; Spain massively dominated possession and failed to convert that to goals and I could have indulged in some schadenfreude at their expense.

Have a good day all

• Like 17