The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening All,

Got some gardening done and after tea I intended to do some paperwork but

a quick eyelid inspection turned out to last about 3 hours so no paperwork done.

SWMBO watching SAS who can swear the most, can’t stand the programme.

Dont know what’s on the agenda for tomorrow but Sydney is ok and looks a Bobby dazzler after his hair cut so may take him for a walk into penistone.

Kitchen surface, ours is Silestone.

On that amazing and interesting fact I’ll bid you a goodnight.

Robert

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Marble slab? Butcher's block?

I don’t do pastry but Aditi does. We do have a marble slab for rolling but she doesn’t bother as it is too big to leave out and is not in an easily accessible cupboard. We do have a wooden chopping board but it is mainly used to store the oven racks on. We don’t really do butchery, or at least nothing beyond dismantling chickens. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

We have appointments scheduled for our second jabs on Saturday.  The government released seconds for our age group (under 80) and we went to the drugstore on Monday and put our names in. The scheduler phoned back tonight.

I would be interested in a conversion table between gallons (or liters) of gasoline and Kilowatt-hours (or whatever) of electricity. 

My feeling is that the IC engine is popular because of convenience.  I can fill my tank in a few minutes. It starts in seconds. I can carry a spare supply if I anticipate problems.

(Note that I  would prefer a steam engine but none were available in my price range.)

I was doing some picture re-hanging yesterday. I found that my dollar store $1 level has a ruler on it that is about 2.5% short. I have not checked the centimeters yet.

• Like 19

Morning all!

Up very, very early this morning for the usual reasons. This is starting to get a bit tedious. However, those of you who can’t wait to get your grubby little paws onto Captain Cynical’s Alpine Treasures (tm) will be sorely disappointed to learn that, according to the “boy doctor“ at yesterday‘s consultation, everything is ticketyboo! Some age related changes, as you would expect, as well as some minor changes secondary to my medical history (not unexpected and not concerning). Thus, I will not be shuffling off this mortal coil any time soon! So, no invitations to a Viking Funeral as of yet (as Captain Cynical is inherently distrustful of all government departments, he plans to get seriously into debt just before popping his clogs and will then be cremated amongst all his possessions – like a good Viking Chief. Leaving just ashes and sackcloth for the taxman [this all is assuming that Mrs iD goes before me])

Now, I do have a question for all the ERs who have been recently at their GP (assuming that a face to face visit had indeed been granted): how many investigations and tests do your GPs actually do in their practice? As I was being prodded and poked at the GP,  I underwent - in the practice - a chest x-ray, a pulmonary function test, an abdominal ultrasound and blood work (basically, an abbreviated chemistry panel). I went to a cardiologist for the stress test and cardiac ultrasound - and that appointment, arranged at mutual convenience, was within a week of my GP deciding that a stress test would be necessary. Are you “serviced in-house” (so to speak) or do you get to go on a grand tour of the local medical facilities? I’m curious to know.

Yesterday, I posted a few comments about a television programme I inadvertently stumbled across on Channel 4 which, uncharitably, could be called “Freak Show TV“. This got me thinking about the parlous state of British terrestrial TV (and for the patriots amongst you, whilst the following comments are quite scathing about British TV, they are but mild and tolerant compared to what Captain Cynical thinks about European TV). It seems that British TV has now become pretty much a junk food diet consisting of violence filled soap operas featuring shabby lowlife’s, cooking shows (most of which teach you very little about cooking), house and garden type shows (which tend to be at the extremes: either featuring properties that require a seriously fat wallet to afford or cheap and tacky makeovers involving a lot of plywood, chipboard, sticky backed plastic and cheap paint) and reality shows featuring individuals who, in saner times, you would cross the road to avoid.

Mrs iD is a great fan of Grand Designs (the big fat wallet show), but whenever the presenter - Kevin McCloud - starts talking about "innovative", "ground breaking" and "exciting" - you can tell without glancing at the TV screen that the house in question will be a big box, with lots of glass, steel and concrete, a flat roof and open plan everything. There are a few shows which are interesting such as “The Repair Shop“, but even then they are spoilt by excessive sentimentality (more of “these are the tools and materials used to renovate this item“ and less of the “oh this is wonderful, it reminds me of my grandpa sob, sob, sobplease). Whatever happened to the British stiff upper lip?

All I can say is “thank goodness for VHS tapes and DVDs“! One can just pull out some classic TV treasures from the 80s and sit back and enjoy refined, sophisticated television of yesteryear - like naked nun mud-wrestling :jester::jester::jester:

And on that refined and edifying note, I bid you all a great POETS day

iD

• Like 9
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

The conversion between electric and ICE is not a straight one, because electric is available at full power from almost zero rpm whereas ICE has a power peak often around 5000rpm for petrol 3000 rpm for diesel. This means the straight power terms you can get away with a much smaller electric engine as most power in normal use is needed for acceleration.

For example in our motorboat the 35hp inboard diesel engine which translates 27kW, was replaced by a 10kW, electric.

The problem is energy Storage. The amount of energy in a gallon of petrol. Vastly exceeds that held by a similar volume battery , and although getting better charging takes longer.

Unless things vastly improve on a motorway service station many parking spaces will need a charger. Not just a small filling station.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Being diabetic I every 6 months get my extremities prodded, and blood tested . The blood test is not just sugar levels and once a year two portions of blood are taken for further tests.

Eyes are also tested and photographed once a year. I have had heart tests onsite but not every year, that's partly connected to malignant hyperpyrexia due to my heart rate going stupid with some foods.

I know they have some onsite facilities for X rays, other than that they make appointments at any of three hospitals all approximately 25 miles away. One north, one south, one west.

Other than occasionally dropping in on the F1, grand designs is the only CH 4 I watch normally. You know it will be over budget, you know K, McC will wax lyrical on concrete box monstrosities. But occasionally there are the odd interesting builds. I remember the big tile arch building, and a couple of the earth sheltered buildings have been interesting.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

Off to Eastleigh for a few hours today, it will commence at Spoons for breakfast, which is conveniently situated opposite the Station. Breakfast will be consisting of either scrambled or poached egg on toast, and I may ask for a couple of sausages to accompany it.

The Sun must be up there somewhere my Good Lady assures me, but it won't be shorts wearing weather, as the forecast is a cool breeze and light sun.

As I'll be doing a bit of walking today, I'll miss this mornings exercise and just have something light to wash down my tablets, once my Blood Pressure has been taken in half an hour or so.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and keep well.:dancer:

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Well raccoons like to wash their food before eating, perhaps some bears do too,

Not so sure that LDC would take kindly to that.....:nono:

9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

..... isinglass ......

Paws up all those who think of a purveyor of fine drawings when seeing this word?  It's use elsewhere (and meaning) was a new one on this Bear.

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...... (as Captain Cynical is inherently distrustful of all government departments, he plans to get seriously into debt just before popping his clogs and will then be cremated amongst all his possessions – like a good Viking Chief. Leaving just ashes and sackcloth for the taxman [this all is assuming that Mrs iD goes before me])

Timing is everything, however.  Could be tricky.....

Now, I do have a question for all the ERs who have been recently at their GP (assuming that a face to face visit had indeed been granted): how many investigations and tests do your GPs actually do in their practice? As I was being prodded and poked at the GP,  I underwent - in the practice - a chest x-ray, a pulmonary function test, an abdominal ultrasound and blood work (basically, an abbreviated chemistry panel). I went to a cardiologist for the stress test and cardiac ultrasound - and that appointment, arranged at mutual convenience, was within a week of my GP deciding that a stress test would be necessary. Are you “serviced in-house” (so to speak) or do you get to go on a grand tour of the local medical facilities? I’m curious to know.

:rofl:

That little list is probably 9 month's work (on a good day) :jester:.  As for in-house servicing,  not so much as a blood test.

Mrs iD is a great fan of Grand Designs (the big fat wallet show), but whenever the presenter - Kevin McCloud - starts talking about "innovative", "ground breaking" and "exciting" - you can tell without glancing at the TV screen that the house in question will be a big box, with lots of glass, steel and concrete, a flat roof and open plan everything. There are a few shows which are interesting such as “The Repair Shop“, but even then they are spoilt by excessive sentimentality (more of “these are the tools and materials used to renovate this item“ and less of the “oh this is wonderful, it reminds me of my grandpa sob, sob, sobplease). Whatever happened to the British stiff upper lip?

This Bear also watches GD, though many (all?) the current offerings appear to be re-runs.  Some places are fantastic, whilst others are just plain hideous.  I hope the owners never have to sell cos' they'll never shift 'em in a year of Sundays (one place had no windows cos' the owners appeared paranoid about people looking in.  Curtains?).

I'd like to see proper DIY programmes, showing techniques in detail.  Some hope.  As for Soaps, even this gave up on them long ago.

In other news:

Bear has an appointment with a Nobex Mitre Saw this morning - I'll get the plinths for the kitchen base units finished all cut as a starter for ten (I also want to paint the cut ends to seal them), then I'll make it up as I go along - I can fit the last tall end panel today as well (now that I've finished painting the correct end....)

I feel an expedition into Beam Land (aka the loft) is called for - there are two fans up there that could be put to much better use now that hot weather has arrived.

Apparently "Clarksons Farm" (Jeremy Clarkson) starts on Amazon Prime today as well - could be entertaining.  Or total dross.  We'll see....

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis was going hammer and tongs this morning, a brace of nurofen has been deployed. Grey and overcast at the moment but should clear up later but pollen count is still sky high. I have to go out on the fodder run but the pollen filters on the car are working well but the facemasks don't make a lot of difference. Time for breakfast, be back later.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

Morning All, 

Still here, contemplating asking bil if we can take Sydney for a walk. Can’t really face doing anything else, though bookwork, emails and phone calls are building up.

Slept a bit better last night as we didn’t have the crows/magpies fighting on the bedroom roof and windowsills at 4am.

Got 3 of the F4 phantom questions right but the page was corrupted and didn’t show the questions, only the multiple choice answers!

Doctors visit, I’ll get back to that, SWMBO is stirring so better make a move.

Robert

• Friendly/supportive 16