The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, polybear said:

No kitchen progress today :no: so I must crack on with it tomorrow.

What sort of worktop did you go for? I suspect they by the time we get round to doing something with the kitchen, round edge mock marble Formica (as fitted now) will be back in fashion.

• Like 11
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

What sort of worktop did you go for? I suspect they by the time we get round to doing something with the kitchen, round edge mock marble Formica (as fitted now) will be back in fashion.

I've decided on 30mm Steel Grey Granite with 20mm upstands (100mm tall) - a call to the company tomorrow is planned.

Here's a photo, though not from the company I'll be using:

https://www.stonecontact.com/products-701509/steel-grey-granite-kitchen-countertop

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I've decided that as the worktops are mainly covered, not to bother about the finish but to cover them with large stainless formed sections with will lift up and be cleanable. Got mine from Amazon, where this illustrations comes from.

71NbKxoPXkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, polybear said:

Dave should be able to answer most of them.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, polybear said:

I got eight. Didn't know any of the modelling answers.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

E‘ning all. Bit knackered following a Teams videoconference this afternoon, so after yesterday’s wacky choice of music, may I offer something with a more serious tone…

And a fab rendition in a joint appearance of PG and SM, too!

Cheers!

• Like 9

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

...Hmm I'm now being bombarded by adverts for Calvin Klein  female underwear, being worn by women who look extremely unhappy  and some could bump start a tank....

Hmm, sexism, size-ism, body shaming and (implied) fat shaming in one. Not bad going for a Thursday :jester:

I remember when advertisers used to use attractive looking people to sell stuff. The idea being a little bit of the attractiveness of the models used would rub off on both the product and the purchaser. Alas, no more.

A few days ago, not being able to sleep, I flicked through the various TV channels and came across a program called “Naked Attraction“ which I watched with absolutely horrified fascination. The premise being that a contestant would choose from one of a number of naked people for a date after having seen the other contestants naked bit by bit, eliminating those contestants deemed “not attractive enough”. As the rejected contestant came forward, the hostess of the program inevitably squealed to the rejected contestant “Ooh, you’re so booootiful” and I’m thinking to myself “no you’re not. You’re grotesquely obese, have more piercings than a pincushion, you have a nose-ring that wouldn’t look out of place on a prize bull, you’re tattooed like a drunken sailor, you’re badly made up, misshapen and it looks like your haircut was done with a strimmer”. Being proud of oneself is one thing, but a little bit of self awareness and self criticism is also important. I am certainly no Greek God and what’s more I am very much aware of it. I have NO illusions about myself (and whatever happened to “taking care of oneself”?)

It’s a Channel 4 programme. Need I say more?

1 hour ago, polybear said:

..., as well as disinfecting today's shopping ..

Isn’t that being a bit paranoid, my dear Bear? Given that CoVId-19 is a respiratory disease spread by exhaled virus laden droplets being inhaled (and in sufficient quantities), short of immediately licking the surface of something that a person with CoVID-19 has just coughed upon, the probability of catching CoVID from a surface is pretty much slim to none. Certainly, that’s how the US CDC sees it (and the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta GA is full of very clever people who have spent their entire careers studying such things). 
Many of the initial instructions regarding dealing with the coronavirus came from when little was known about and the assumption was it would behave like an influenza virus (it doesn’t).

51 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

I've decided that as the worktops are mainly covered, not to bother about the finish but to cover them with large stainless formed sections with will lift up and be cleanable. Got mine from Amazon, where this illustrations comes from.

71NbKxoPXkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Well done that man! If you’re seriously into cooking, stainless steel countertops are definitely the way to go (although you’s also need a marble slab somewhere for pastry work and a decent butcher’s block).

Early bed tonight. I’m totally cream crackered. Busy day ahead and on Saturday, Lucy and I will be abandoned by Mrs iD and Schotty, so I have to prepare a fun-filled day for her.

Evenin’ all...

iD

• Like 18

Belated Good Evening awl for it is becoming nearer to eyelid inspection time after emptying the daily box of pills.

Interesting day; 18 - 19 deg C but humid enough to feel chilly. Ho Hum!

31 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Hmm, sexism, size-ism, body shaming and (implied) fat shaming in one. Not bad going for a Thursday :jester:

I remember when advertisers used to use attractive looking people to sell stuff. The idea being a little bit of the attractiveness of the models used would rub off on both the product and the purchaser. Alas, no more.

A few days ago, not being able to sleep, I flicked through the various TV channels and came across a program called “Naked Attraction“ which I watched with absolutely horrified fascination. The premise being that a contestant would choose from one of a number of naked people for a date after having seen the other contestants naked bit by bit, eliminating those contestants deemed “not attractive enough”. As the rejected contestant came forward, the hostess of the program inevitably squealed to the rejected contestant “Ooh, you’re so booootiful” and I’m thinking to myself “no you’re not. You’re grotesquely obese, have more piercings than a pincushion, you have a nose-ring that wouldn’t look out of place on a prize bull, you’re tattooed like a drunken sailor, you’re badly made up, misshapen and it looks like your haircut was done with a strimmer”. Being proud of oneself is one thing, but a little bit of self awareness and self criticism is also important. I am certainly no Greek God and what’s more I am very much aware of it. I have NO illusions about myself (and whatever happened to “taking care of oneself”?)

It’s a Channel 4 programme. Need I say more?

Never forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I often ask myself of people I know: "how could you wake up beside that??"

I can not comment further as my Beau is ensconced with his Tomboy! ;( Opposites attract?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well I got 7 out of 15 mainly lucky guesses.

Channel 4 news presenter was in St Ives bit closer than BBC.

I don't watch Naked attraction but I did read recently that they had to halt filming one episode because one of the male contestants had got a Semi.

What type of house he lived in is a bit of a strange category for a show involving nakedness.

Unless it was a Semi low loader they were on about

Signed Mystified of Pontefract

• Funny 17

Talking of adverts my wife keeps asking me how I felt when Jonathon Warburton wouldn't take my call because he was making toast

I did try telling her it was my stunt double but she wasn't having it

Edited by simontaylor484
Half the original post went missing
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think I have watched a C4 programme for years now, Other channels with “four” are available. I do admit to watching some stuff on BBC4. MiL is watching ITV4 for about 12 hours a day I think at the moment watching tennis from France. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have always found a cod beer most refreshing in hot climates.

It just seems to slake the thirst 

Well until recently most brewers used non vegan finings  to clear the beers. Isinglass is made from fish swim bladders. A cod beer it well could be. Today, it is Irish moss which to me is far more sustainable and a better way to go. 

As for the eclipse. Sun all bloody week. This morning fecking clouds. Cleared just after it was over. Feckitty feckitty feck feck feck. I swear anything astrological and this country’s weather gives me the proverbial middle finger. Every meteor shower = cloud. Every decent ISS pass over = cloud. B*llocks.

Tony, would that be a Blue Öyster Cult, err stout?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

MiL is watching ITV4 for about 12 hours a day I think at the moment watching tennis from France.

Less and less Roland Garros tennis available over the next few days. After a very good night's sleep I switched on the second women's semi-final match in the middle of the first set, and the remainder of this engaging match delayed the proper start of my day for at least three hours. 

I am glad I watched it though.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NGT6 1315 said:

E‘ning all. Bit knackered following a Teams videoconference this afternoon, so after yesterday’s wacky choice of music, may I offer something with a more serious tone…

And a fab rendition in a joint appearance of PG and SM, too!

Cheers!

See you and raise you.....

52 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As the rejected contestant came forward, the hostess of the program inevitably squealed to the rejected contestant “Ooh, you’re so booootiful” and I’m thinking to myself “no you’re not. You’re grotesquely obese, have more piercings than a pincushion, you have a nose-ring that wouldn’t look out of place on a prize bull, you’re tattooed like a drunken sailor, you’re badly made up, misshapen and it looks like your haircut was done with a strimmer”.

:laugh::rofl:

52 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Isn’t that being a bit paranoid, my dear Bear? Given that CoVId-19 is a respiratory disease spread by exhaled virus laden droplets being inhaled (and in sufficient quantities), short of immediately licking the surface of something that a person with CoVID-19 has just coughed upon, the probability of catching CoVID from a surface is pretty much slim to none. Certainly, that’s how the US CDC sees it (and the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta GA is full of very clever people who have spent their entire careers studying such things). 
Many of the initial instructions regarding dealing with the coronavirus came from when little was known about and the assumption was it would behave like an influenza virus (it doesn’t).

Bear must admit to still practicing what I recall being told at the outset - if current clever thinking has changed then I for one will be a very happy Bear, as wiping everything down with disinfectant wipes is a right PITA.  Can I now take it that such bizarre behavior is now obsolete?

:yahoo:

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Can I now take it that such bizarre behavior is now obsolete?

Well raccoons like to wash their food before eating, perhaps some bears do too,

Early on in the pandemic we quarantined deliveries and washed or wiped down as much as possible. We just wash hands after taking in packages now. I saw the CDC report Flavio mentioned and it seemed quite sound. Not sure why anyone is keen to go into enclosed places for fun though. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I am allergic to fish i wonder if the isinglass in Guinness was what used to make me end up with a red face of i drank more than 10 pints . That was a long time ago I have been "dry" for nearly 2 years apart from on holiday when it would be rude not to have a cold beer not a cod one 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A very good Zoom presentation tonight on progress on the F5 replica. Spoilt only a little as the presenter had difficulties with the sound, breaking up and disappearing altogether. But not too much of a problem as the talk was very well illustrated. After the break one of our techies suggested he delivered his talk through a mobile phone and that seemed to work.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I am allergic to fish i wonder if the isinglass in Guinness was what used to make me end up with a red face of i drank more than 10 pints

If you drink more than ten pints of Guinness in a session you deserve a certificate of merit quite apart from any other after-effects ;)    Three was enough to have me visiting the toilet more often - and with more urgency - than I would wish for the night.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well done that man! If you’re seriously into cooking, stainless steel countertops are definitely the way to go (although you’s also need a marble slab somewhere for pastry work and a decent butcher’s block).

The reason for removable stainless covers is that I can take them off, clean them and pour boiling water over them outside. I only have a small kitchen so four 600x600mm tops cover the 1200mm worktop and the two 600x600 worktops. Told you it was a small kitchen. OK, so they're forty quid each, but  can be replaced which would be a lot less than the hassle of replacing the worktop.

Marble slab? Butcher's block? May be a step too far for the amount of use I'd put them to. Nice, maybe, but there's only me.

I use a large roll out silicone mat for pastry and bread making. Washable in the sink and stored very easily rolled up.

Edited by Coombe Barton
Typoman escaped!
  • Like 17