The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

(c) Charging

I looked on Ford's US website and one of the features seem to be if the electricity grid crashes the truck can power your home for a few days assuming it was fully charged. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I looked on Ford's US website and one of the features seem to be if the electricity grid crashes the truck can power your home for a few days assuming it was fully charged. 

If you do not run your heat or AC!

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I wonder where all the extra electricity is going to come from to power all these extra electric vehicles and trains.

And where is the chancellor going to get the money from when he doesn’t get it from fuel duty?

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Good day today. I went flying!  Didn't do much else apart from crawling round the M25.

Tomorrow morning, I'm finally getting a haircut. First  proper one since October when the woman I've been going to for years finally decided to retire. It's about a mile and a half from here so I will get my daily walk  in as well. 

G'night all.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

And where is the chancellor going to get the money from when he doesn’t get it from fuel duty?

I'm quite sure someone will come up with a creative mileage-based solution.

I don't know about the UK, but automobile insurers in the US continue to push policies based on monitors that plug into the electronics socket. These 'phone home' with driving behaviour (speed, braking rates, mileage etc) that the insurer uses to determine the premiums for the policy - particularly the mileage-based policies. They advertise a benefit for safe drivers (and fail to mention what happens to less safe drivers). I made a comment to my agent one day about not wanting to voluntarily permit monitoring devices. She responded by making a vague suggestion that I should not assume they are not already able to monitor me with the handheld mobile monitoring device I carry everywhere*.

* With which I sometimes make telephone calls.

EVs being what they are there will easily be built-in tracking capability. The question is who gets to see the data and what it gets used for.

Police in Southern California made an arrest this week in a 'road rage' incident where a six year-old boy was tragically shot and killed. They did not disclose how they were led to their suspects but I would be surprised if mobile telephony did not play a role.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well both the front and back gardens are looking a lot better than they did this morning. They are both almost weed free and the green wheelie bin is now almost half full. The weather for the most part was very sunny and warm, but on occasion it looked liked it would rain at any minute. Thankfully it never did and I remained dry throughout my endeavours. I finished just after 12 o’clock, so had my mid morning muggertea sat on the bench in front of the workshop, just a little later than usual, but it was quite nice to sit out in the sunshine for a change. 

After dinner I continued working in the cellar. One of the hinges on the small access door, has been replaced at sometime and the new one wasn’t fitted correctly. This caused the door to angle inwards slightly, so I took the door off and removed the hinge. There were 2 sets of holes beneath it, so I filled this with small slivers of wood, which were hammered into them. I then re-aligned the hinge and made fresh holes, this made the door fit much better. I then brought the door forward so that it is now aligned to the front packing I fitted yesterday. I then repositioned the door latch so the door will remain shut when it’s closed. I then continued working on the main internal door frame and some more packing was fitted yet. Due to the amount of packing required, I’m having to do it from more than one piece of wood and the frame isn’t square, so that’s not helping either. It’s fine vertically, when viewed from the front, but it leans slightly towards the small cellar room. I need to fit some fine strips of wood, about 4mm thick to the top part of the frame. I’ve found that 2 strips of an old Venetian blind will do the job perfectly. So theses have mean marked and drill and I’ll glue them to the top packing piece tomorrow before fitting it. Thankfully, the 2 side pieces of the door frame are relatively straight forward, they just taper towards the bottom, which I can sort out by using a plane first, then a belt sander. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

. She responded by making a vague suggestion that I should not assume they are not already able to monitor me with the handheld mobile monitoring device I carry everywhere*.

One of the insurers here offers very competitive quotes, the trade off is that you are required to download their app onto your mobile phone.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It may not be much help in the UK, but here in the US, the Ford F-150 Lightning deliveries in the U.S. are scheduled to begin in spring 2022. Towing capacity is 5,000 lbs / 2,267 kg with the extended-range battery and the Max Tow Package is 10,000 lbs / 4,536 kg.

It will be expensive.

Not much of an extended range by the look of things - it just goes up from the basic 230 miles to 300 miles..  I can do more than that with what's currently in the tank on my Peugeot and I could easily get to Cornwall and back without refuelling.  This is where electric at current state of development is a complete dead end.  You first have to buy a far more expensive vehicle;  you then have to buy a charger if you want to actually top up the battery without having to leave it drawing current all night - and of course that assumes that you actually live somewhere where you can park off road and that you have somewhere to install the charger.

Even in our road many houses have e vehicles parked on the road overnight as they haven't got space to park them off road.  Then let's say everybody wants to top up charge their car every night, or even one night in three - the mains wouldn't take that load.  All a great big dead end going for battery electric vehicles.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

... you then have to buy a charger if you want to actually top up the battery without having to leave it drawing current all night - and of course that assumes that you actually live somewhere where you can park off road and that you have somewhere to install the charger.

Even in our road many houses have e vehicles parked on the road overnight as they haven't got space to park them off road.

I don't see widespread (versus mainstream*) use of EVs until autonomy increases to provide rideshare alternatives to individual ownership. At that point the parking and charging problems become moot for the user.

* EVs are already mainstream in the US. Both of my neighbours (to the left and right) own Tesla EVs. It is wholly unremarkable to see two-vehicle families with a commuter EV and a hybrid SUV/crossover utility vehicle for family road trips.

Take up will be (already is) higher in places like more affluent US suburbs where people have garages (often three-car garages these days). Places where there is no "designated" parking, (common in US apartment complexes or older suburbs nearer downtowns) will take much longer due to inconveniences with charging.

There's always hydrogen as an alternative combustible fuel.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

47 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There's always hydrogen as an alternative combustible fuel.

But how do you produce the hydrogen? A common method is electrolysis of water!

Edit - or from hydrocarbons.

Edited by pH
  • Like 3
  • Agree 8

17 minutes ago, pH said:

But how do you produce the hydrogen? A common method is electrolysis of water!

Plenty of excess ocean water. Use renewables (solar, wind etc) to power a desalinization/electrolysis plant. Making hydrogen doesn't need to be an "always on" operation since the objective is stored energy - so the "demand" limitations of renewables are not a problem.

It's an attractive option compared with all the rare earth metal mining and recycling complications of batteries everywhere.

The way this drought is going we're going to need desalinization plants to support the cities of the west coast of North America anyway.

Flow on the lower Colorado River will be likely be restricted or even stopped next year. Hydroelectric power from Lake Mead is already down 25% due to low lake levels behind Hoover Dam. Levels are lower than they have ever been since the dam was built.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, 542 /339

4 hours then lots of short bits of sleep not enough.. too darn hot... Downstairs with windows open 24.2C as the solid brick walls re radiate the heat back into the house...

Sleep was not helped by Ben the Gasiarse Collie, twice he left the room as a smell pervaded all... It was a good job the windows were open.

Cars, I had intended we change our car when I retire at the end of next year.. it might be we delay that for a couple more years to delay the period of ownership of the next ICE possibly last car..

Yes sales of new ICE cars end in 2030, but the average life of a UK car is just short of 14 years.., and I suspect being retired and not doing many miles our next car will last many more years than that, as there will be about 13,000 miles a year less done travelling to work and back.

Old landrovers of the series 1, 2, 3, 110/90 variety are going up in price, their average age is well in excess of 20 years and many over 40 years, my youngster at 36 years will outlast me and so will provide many more years of towing.. 

A note on that, with ICE cars being banned from new sale, the need for petrol will reduce and become harder to find from say 2045. Diesel trucks and busses are not being banned. (yet) So it may well be our final car is a diesel..

I agree there will be a rush for ICE cars in 2029 possibly 2028, which will mean increased prices and disappointment for many, that's part of the reason for delay of the purchase of our next one till many be 2025.. not later. There's always the chance HMG might bring forward the end date even earlier too..

Our local radio / TV has gone daft about a blue jumbo jet that landed in the area for a couple of hours.. They also went daft going on about people wanting clarity, they want to know NOW what the next stage of covid will be.. A more pointless piece to TV I don't know .. The advertised date of announcement has been known for months.

Time I went and saw whether last nights major system passed it's cross check.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Police in Southern California made an arrest this week in a 'road rage' incident where a six year-old boy was tragically shot and killed. They did not disclose how they were led to their suspects but I would not be surprised if mobile telephony did not play a role.

At last, some common sense in not disclosing information.  I often despair at what information is released by such agencies - the following is a prime example; surely it's release will hinder or stop such tricks from being used again?

As part of a three-year collaboration between the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), underworld figures were tricked into communicating via an encrypted app designed by police, authorities say.

The app, known as AN0M, was used by organised crime gangs around the world to plan executions, mass drug importations and money laundering.

Authorities say they were able to read up to 25 million messages in real time.

In other news:

Bear's drop-off at the charity shop warehouse takes place today, followed by oodles of cake with any luck.  I've decided that Bear could do with an ear-lowering session in the near future too - tomorrow maybe.  Hopefully I'll get some more kitchen work done too - I'd like to crack on with the cutting and fitting of the plinths - as not only does it start to make the kitchen take on a whole new look, it'll also help get shot of three 9ft lengths of 6" wide plinth material currently cluttering up the Conservatory.  There will still be numerous lengths of pelmet and cornice material to contend with, however, and I can't cut & fit those until the wall units are fitted for the final time - and that's after the worktops are fitted, so still a little way off.

• Like 17