The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

A colleague had just invented a new very appropriate phrase that I'm desperately trying to incorporate into my feedback on dissertations.

The phrase - word salad.

I've often heard that in regards to  politician's speeches, or some PowerPoint addicted ID10-T's attempt to talk through graphs and analytics.  

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

You don't happen to know who gave Macron a slap do you? get them to give him one from me if the chance arises again lol.

The BBC seems to have an ID. Persons have been arrested. Slapper seems to be a mediaeval martial arts monarchist with links to right wing groups. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

@BoD I haven't holidays in Britain for a few years now, not because it is beneath us but on cost basis. We had caravan holidays when we were kids.we even had a tourer ourselves before my first breakdown. I have seen a lot of this country there is beautiful countryside cites and coastlines but it costs a fortune and there is the weather.

If it were possible i would have 2 weeks on the Yorkshire Wolds in red hot sunshine cheap activities and eating drinking on the Yorkshire coast.

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I haven't holidays in Britain for a few years now, not because it is beneath us but on cost basis.

I know a few people who 'over winter' for a couple of months in the Canaries because it is almost as cheap as living at home at that time of year.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 minutes ago, BoD said:

I know a few people who 'over winter' for a couple of months in the Canaries because it is almost as cheap as living at home at that time of year.

I intend to do just that as/when/if we're able to and I'm retired.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

The sun is shining and the temperature is rising.  Fortunately  our roundy washing line is seated, very firmly, in a substantial piece of concrete.  Unfortunately if it ever breaks at ground level I am in for a major rebuilding job or total abandonment and start again somewhere else.

'Word salad ia s quite long established expression.  In fact plenty long enough established to be included in the Cambridge Online Dictionary (and be defined elsewhere on the 'net)

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/word-salad

As for foxes and n muntjacs we haven't seen anything of our usual visitors for a week or two.  Mr & Mrs muntjac tend to move about a bit although they seem to prefer dropping their yougster in the more hidden parts of our garden and I do wish they would stop jumping through our front hedge and demolishing various plants in the process.   I seem to have managed to dissuade Mrs Fox for dropping her litter here by the crafty process of putting broken flints in the hole every time she starts digging her maternity ward.  But having said that it was great fun watching when we had the fox cubs playing in the garden over 10 years back - very entertaining and just like any other sort of puppy when it came ti fun and games.  Amusingly they and our then resident muntjac used to completely ignore each other even when only a few feet apart.  The concrete floor in the garage still has the evidence of the fox cubs using it as a playground before it had completely set.

Searching for yet more background information for a thread in the prototype area by taking a route which completely ignored railways I came across this fascinating film from 1914 - a very different world -

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-great-dalis-horse-fair-lampeter-may-1914-1914-online

Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe.

Edited by The Stationmaster
typos
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hermes. Singular, messenger of the gods. He is therefore near perfect

Hermes, courier, messenger to the unhappy , non receiving public. They are therefore near carp..

Bin absent most of the day, much too much work today, plus brain got latched onto handicaps again.

now why that piece of music?

Well we are surrounded by barley this year, not your modern shortarsed variety. These are 3ft tall still green and still growing. I think therefore a heritage variety heading for a brewer somewhere.. you'll be drinking our fields next year.

64 years ago yesterday my parents got married, funnily enough at the moment I'm 63, 

I shall move towards 64, by inspecting eyelids.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And for today we have Rick sporting a nifty off  the dhoulder budgie smuggler.

Jamie

Interestingly, given a "budgie" isn't a common term for those small birds, the equivalent clothing item here is referred to as a "banana hammock" :) :) 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And for today we have Rick sporting a nifty off  the dhoulder budgie smuggler.

Jamie

As in the budgie is already off the shoulder. The birdie has flown

:jester:

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ian Abel said:

Interestingly, given a "budgie" isn't a common term for those small birds, the equivalent clothing item here is referred to as a "banana hammock" :) :) 

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

...snip... Another colleague chimed in at that point and my response was in no uncertain terms JFDI - end of and if I catch you not doing you will be reported. ...snip...

JFDI ?????

• Like 5

5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

It was regards office accommodation and social distancing.

One covidiot who is not going to accept the vaccines out of choice, was complaining (incorrectly) that the company's guidelines for working in that office meant that in the course of his job he would have to work in close proximity to others.

My response was that he should wear a mask and use other protective measures, again as required by company procedures. His (smart arse) response was that a mask won't protect him, only others; my response - "As you have chosen not to be vaccinated you should take steps to protect others when working in close proximity - in that way you will comply with company guidelines and do your bit for humanity to protect others despite refusing vaccination"

Another colleague chimed in at that point and my response was in no uncertain terms JFDI - end of and if I catch you not doing you will be reported.

Perhaps not exactly the bloodbath you might've anticipated, but certainly an indication of my vulnerability to losing it due to being under the weather :)

Very restrained Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1