The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all!

Some of last night was spent watching an extremely slow download bar as I watched OSX Lion downloading. I left it running while I slept and it just finished during breakfast. Think Apple's servers must have been heaving under the strain last night.

Hallelujah, only 2 more working days of this week left. I'll be glad when this week's over, it's been extraordinarily slow and dull.

Morning All,

It is gloomy and wet here on the South Coast this morning. Just to add insult to injury, I seem to have trapped a nerve in my neck overnight :blink:

Thank goodness for paracetamol and ibuprofen - Just waiting for to start working...

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Grey sky, drizzly rain here.

Not too much planned for today after the exertions of sock buying yesterday. Matthew accompanied me on the shopping trip to Lakeside though I think this may have been due to his desire to have a return visit to Ed's Diner.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Think Apple's servers must have been heaving under the strain last night.

They were quite fast when I downloaded it onto the Mini, but became horribly slow later on when I wanted to repeat the procedure for the MacBook. Like you, I left it on over night and finished this morning. Running fine on both machines thus far, though they seem to have forgot how to recognise each other for file exchange. I'm still working on that.

• RMweb Gold

I don't have any Apple computers so I didn't have any download boredom last night. I did read the review of "Lion" in the newspaper this morning. Now they have got to Lion in their naming series will Apple have to choose another family of animals for their operating system names?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, last working day of the school year for me. We get tomorrow off for the royal wedding apparently though watching it maybe difficult.

You mean you didn't record it for use tomorrow? Shame on you.

We finise today too, for the same reason. At 3 o'clock I may be a monarchist.

I don't have any Apple computers so I didn't have any download boredom last night. I did read the review of "Lion" in the newspaper this morning. Now they have got to Lion in their naming series will Apple have to choose another family of animals for their operating system names?

Tony

There's still Scottish Wildcat, Tabby, Ocelot...

Morning all!

Some of last night was spent watching an extremely slow download bar as I watched OSX Lion downloading. I left it running while I slept and it just finished during breakfast. Think Apple's servers must have been heaving under the strain last night.

Mike,

Please, please give us a quick review when you get a chance!

I had issues, when I went to Snow Leopard, with some of my recording devices that are permanently hooked up to my IMac - I'm a bit hesitant.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Not involved with these Apple things at all - still using Mr Gates' best, I'm afraid, for all its perceived shortcomings.

Had a wonderful start to the day with a visit to the dentist, followed by the Dr for blood pressure, weight, and diabetic bloods - I seem to have gained about six kilos since my last check - largely down to a lack of exercise due to still having reduced mobility. Then the day took a nose dive, as I went to work - says a lot for work that the dentist is better!

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I don't mind going to the dentist, if I'm in pain he will make me better, and if it is a check-up, it is nice to be told I'm OK and at least the walk home will be easier after my wallet has been emptied!

For blood tests they don't have any problem getting mine to flow but the phlebotomists have great difficulty extracting any from Matthew. In A&E once they had to take it from an artery as all other methods failed. He was quite calm about it all though.

Took me a while to guess what feline BoD had typed to incur the censor!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I don't mind going to the dentist,at least the walk home will be easier after my wallet has been emptied!

I'm quite lucky as my dentist still treats on the NHS - so a checkup with x rays is £17.00. However, he's not accepting new patients, either NHS or private - I think the nearest NHS dentist accepting new patients is somewhere in the Blackpool area. When I was paying my bill today, there was somebody asking about the waiting list and her details were taken, and she was told to try calling in about 9 months to see where she was!

• RMweb Premium

Pete,

except for the thing with network shares between my two computers not working as they should as of yet, I haven't found any issue with Lion thus far. Memory and CPU load would appear to be mostly the same as on SL, all my software's running nicely, and performance is very good on both machines. I'm sure I will also find a solution for the shares issue in time.

I also followed one bit of advice concerning how you can create a bootable Lion installation DVD from the downloaded file, which I recommend you might do as well in case you need to do a clean reinstall at some point or other.

• RMweb Gold

I will also find a solution for the shares issue in time.

When Windows 7 first came out I had a slight problem getting it to file share with other pcs but that was due to how it dealt with shares by default, it just took a few ticks in boxes to make it all talk to the older pcs. All I can "see" for instance is that Matthew's laptop exists on the network but it isn't set up for sharing anything (it until recently was in his room at uni).

I've noted a few other people reporting share problems with their Lion upgrade, perhaps Apple will test it on some real networks, it seems a bit of an odd feature to have missed before release. Can you access shared peripheral devices, printers, scanners, network storage?

Just returned from Chester laden with jewellery for SWMBO's birthday.

Shame to see how many stores are closing down but it meant less walking for me.

Nice lunch by the river watching the River Cruise touts "leaving in a few minutes".

50 minutes after we arrived, the first one left.

Found a useful system in the "Works" consisting of little transparent round tubs which screw on top of one another to form a tower.

Five pots for 99p - ideal for N gauge bits and one can add as many sets of five as necessary until the column falls over.

The italics are to make things easier for the punsters.

• RMweb Gold

Just returned from Chester laden with jewellery for SWMBO's birthday.

Is this a bejewelled laptop?

Jewellery is definitely one of the things I'm not allowed to buy. Aditi did say she would like some nice pearls a few years ago (pearl wedding anniversary) but I wasn't to choose them! They still haven't been chosen though.

It was a change of mind, Tony.

I had looks of approval from the sales person when SWMBO couldn't make up her mind between two different sets of earrings and I said, "Have both".

Unfortunately I spoiled it a bit by saying that one earring would look silly.

"We're all going to die Dept."

According to the weather forecasters that is. It's 101f on my deck (officially 97f) tomorrow will be warmer at an expected official 100f. I've seen it reach 114f on my deck so it has some ways to go.

Expected back in the high 80's on Sunday.

I can't imagine this will make it across the Atlantic but perhaps you'll get a warm up late next week...

Best, Pete.