The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Early evening All,

Just having my tea and contemplating.

I’m having an all day breakfast and couldn’t decide what to have to drink with it. Obviously in a morning and up to lunch time it’s tea or coffee but is an alcoholic beverage later in the day acceptable. 
For the record I had a bottle of lager but wished I’d had my usual coffee.

Thoughts please.

Robert

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Evening Awl, for to express the opinion that it is 'Good' may be seen as a tad controversial!

Of interest from the above:

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

In other new, I have a  constant back, hip and knee ache due to the Osteoarthritis, but I seldom complain, I just exercise and take the tablets and live with it on a daily basis.

But about 2 Months ago a NEW pain arrived in the spine, just above the waist. It only occurs  when I stand up really strait, i.e. Stomach in, chest out and shoulders back, as one should anyway, and its like being hit with a large hammer in just one small area of the spine.

Anyway, a call to my GP yesterday, (answered in 3 rings), Yes Mr Peters, I will get the Dr to ring you Friday AM as he is off today. So I'm hoping that maybe a course of Physio might do the trick, as it feels like a trapped nerve, if not, its another getting old pain that I will have to learn to live with, and smile at the same time.

As an ex-resident of a township near your (relatively) new domicile, might I be so bold as to suggest you make an appointment at "Back2Health" in Petersfield? They are Chiropractors rather than physiotherapists and, rather than ease the pain, manipulate out the cause of the pain. They are (were - I left the area in 2012) located on the corner of Charles Street and Swan Street, opposite the Petersfield Forge. https://www.facebook.com/Back2HealthPetersfield/ gives their details.

Related anecdote: Whilst at Uni, I presented to the GP with knee problems; he said he would arrange for a camera to be inserted into my knee to see what was afoot (no, not a long camera!). At the end of that academic year, I started my Industrial Experience Year and suffered a shoulder pain; I presented to the Site Nurse who suggested I visit the Chiropractor in Ryde. I made an appointment. The first thing he did was to take two X-Rays; one front-to-back and the other side-to-side. He then showed them to me.

F2B: your spine is kinked pressing on the nerve and affecting your shoulder.

S2S: Do you have knee trouble? Yes, I replied and he showed me why from the curvature (or lack of) of my spine!

Give them a try!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not anywhere near as painful as a kidney stone departing. My ex SiL had a kidney stone and she said it was more painful than giving birth, and she's had two children. If a stone gets stuck it can be even worse, my brother had a stone jammed halfway and it destroyed one kidney and damaged the other that it eventually failed. He's now on dialysis for the rest of his life. 

Is that your way of making me sleep better tonight Phil?:laugh:

If so, cheers.:banghead:

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I’m having an all day breakfast and couldn’t decide what to have to drink with it. Obviously in a morning and up to lunch time it’s tea or coffee but is an alcoholic beverage later in the day acceptable. 
For the record I had a bottle of lager but wished I’d had my usual coffee.

Mimosa?

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Evening Awl, for to express the opinion that it is 'Good' may be seen as a tad controversial!

Of interest from the above:

As an ex-resident of a township near your (relatively) new domicile, might I be so bold as to suggest you make an appointment at "Back2Health" in Petersfield? They are Chiropractors rather than physiotherapists and, rather than ease the pain, manipulate out the cause of the pain. They are (were - I left the area in 2012) located on the corner of Charles Street and Swan Street, opposite the Petersfield Forge. https://www.facebook.com/Back2HealthPetersfield/ gives their details.

Related anecdote: Whilst at Uni, I presented to the GP with knee problems; he said he would arrange for a camera to be inserted into my knee to see what was afoot (no, not a long camera!). At the end of that academic year, I started my Industrial Experience Year and suffered a shoulder pain; I presented to the Site Nurse who suggested I visit the Chiropractor in Ryde. I made an appointment. The first thing he did was to take two X-Rays; one front-to-back and the other side-to-side. He then showed them to me.

F2B: your spine is kinked pressing on the nerve and affecting your shoulder.

S2S: Do you have knee trouble? Yes, I replied and he showed me why from the curvature (or lack of) of my spine!

Give them a try!

Thanks for the info, Doc wants to do Blood tests first, so I will see what that reveals.:good:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Is that your way of making me sleep better tonight Phil?:laugh:

If so, cheers.:banghead:

You said you are going to see your GP so ask him about it. They can detect stones with a sound scan so there's no intrusive checks, the only problem will be if the operator has cold hands. Blood tests can also show up any problems.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

You said you are going to see your GP so ask him about it. They can detect stones with a sound scan so there's no intrusive checks, the only problem will be if the operator has cold hands. Blood tests can also show up any problems.

Yep, Blood Test booked, so hopefully that will show up any anomalies.

• Friendly/supportive 13

15 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

... but for breakfast.

Mimosa is commonly served at "brunch". I would recommend using an inexpensive Prosecco. Ivan (formerly of this parish) was keen on Cava.

The acidic content of the orange juice and sparkling wine helps cut through the fatty breakfast foods - unless your "all day breakfast" was more of the sweet pastry variety.

If it feels too "breakfasty" skip the orange juice. Anything sparking would work - including fruit-flavoured mineral water for a non-alcoholic alternative.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mimosa is commonly served at "brunch". I would recommend using an inexpensive Prosecco. Ivan (formerly of this parish) was keen on Cava.

The acidic content of the orange juice and sparkling wine helps cut through the fatty breakfast foods - unless your "all day breakfast" was more of the sweet pastry variety.

I think ‘our’ gastronaught may be used to a late breakfast,ie brunch after late night (or early morning) on the town so a mimosa to wash down the black pudding would be ideal.

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

19 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I’ve had a version of it with a shot of Drambuie in it, called ‘liquid sunshine’.

• Like 12
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

The only time I have ever had Drambuie was either neat or in Scotch to make the taste more palatable to me 

Isn't Drambuie and scotch called a snakebite?

I once had a bottle of Drambuie break inside a packed suitcase when going away on a detachment. The first two days were mainly spent doing laundry.

G'night everybody.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Isn't Drambuie and scotch called a snakebite?

Rusty nail.

A snakebite is stout floated on cider - like a "half and half" is stout floated on lager.

The internet tells me that a snakebite can also be Canadian whiskey with lime cordial - ewww!

And an Aussie version with lager floating on cider.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

8 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I once had a bottle of Drambuie break inside a packed suitcase when going away on a detachment. The first two days were mainly spent doing laundry.

Reminds me of a flight out of Cancun. Someone's booze bottle in the overhead leaked. The smell was strong. I believe it might have been rum but it mostly smelled of booze. (From Cancun you'd think it would be tequila.)

Where the condensation drips (when taking off from a humid climate) there was a steady drip of brown liquid from the overhead.

I was glad my gear was not in the same compartment.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well today, apart from my 2 shopping expeditions earlier, has been fairly relaxed. When I went to the butchers this morning, my cousin joined the queue directly behind me, so we had a chat for about 5 minutes or so, until it was my turn to be served. Once I’d been served, I left but waited outside afterwards so we continued our conversation for a few more minutes. After I’d put the weekly meat rations away, I watered the plants before heading off to the Trafford Centre. It was mayhem in there, lots of parents with kids and grandparents with grandkids, mostly wondering about aimlessly. Some with masks on, some without, but plenty wearing them incorrectly. I don’t know what’s wrong with these people, how difficult is it to put a mask on! I may be going to go out on a limb here, but I assume most of these people dressed themselves this morning, I didn’t see anyone not wearing their clothing incorrectly! Although to be fair, there were quite a lot of the young ladies not wearing much clothing at all!

Since my post earlier this afternoon, I’ve done absolutely bu99er all and it’s been great, as I think I needed the rest. Although, it’ll be back to normal again, tomorrow morning, when I will continue fitting plasterboard to the cellar walls. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Rather pleasant day all round here in South Derbyshire. No rain, no mugginess and plenty of blue sky. This is good because I did some outdoor painting.

Lots of other tasks completed, but still not the full quota. Not many more will be ticked off tomorrow either as a beer garden visit is in prospect from 13:00 onwards :)

Best wishes to all, especially those who ail or are under the weather, literally or metaphorically.

That's all folks.

Goodnight.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks for the info, Doc wants to do Blood tests first, so I will see what that reveals.:good:

I'm very much in favour of the chiropractic approach as I have found it can do a lot of good but you do need to find the right one for you as their techniques and experience vary.  as my regular guy is in hospital due to problems with Crohn's Disease I went to the other chap in the practice earlier this week and he had a better effect on my neck than several others have had in the past.  but my regular chap is superb at getting tension out of muscles even if his technique does seem rather alarming the first time you experience it.  They're very much horses for courses but over the years they have done far better for my asymmetric hips and lower back than various NHS attention has got anywhere near achieving anything positive.

BTW I always thought that half and half was a half of bitter with a whisky chaser (as I did in the Ardvasar arms on the Isle of Sky many years ago - it had a fabulous top shelf of malt whiskies so I started at one end ,,,,, )

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1