The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

The weather was delightful the entire holiday weekend and through yesterday, today though it starts to get "NASTY".

Was already 18 getting the newspaper, and headed for 30!

The next WEEK is expected to be highs from 33 to 36 with overnight only in the low 20s.

I HATE really hot weather and the high humidity ("Minnesota - Land of `10,000 Lakes") we get with it is miserable.

That you had nice Memorial Day weather was remarkable.

I've always imagined a cartoon weather god for the midwest with a big switch (like a mechanical semaphore signal lever) with one setting labeled "FRIGID" and another labeled "BROILING & STICKY". You only rarely get other than one or the other.

In Chicago, I remember little leaguers playing Spring baseball on fields still damp from snowmelt and freezing mid-October nights (after still needing air-conditioning at the end of September / "Indian Summer").

Summer arrived in force for our Memorial Day weekend in Oregon. Where I was in Central Oregon, Tuesday saw 36°C. The high was 21°C when I arrived at the end of last week. Now back in the valley it is cooling off, but I still have the air conditioning on today.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In the US (before Weird Al), there was a nationally syndicated, weekly radio show called "Dr. Demento" named for the persona of the host who played novelty and parody music. 

Who remembers Jack Jackson’s Record Roundup on BBC radio? It was required weekly listening for a group of us in the early 1960s - not really for the records, but for all the bits in between.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, pH said:

Who remembers Jack Jackson’s Record Roundup on BBC radio? It was required weekly listening for a group of us in the early 1960s - not really for the records, but for all the bits in between.

It really used to annoy my Dad!

• Like 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all ...snip...  Battlefield Band, bagpipes and all.

Best wishes to all, especially all the sick and missing.

Chris

Did they also do "PROUD MARY"? That is something that I have for years wanted to hear on bagpipes; hundreds of bagpipes!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,

A warm week mainly, though this evening I thought we were in for a thunderstorm. The wind got up and it went rather grey (as in turn car lights on at 18:00) and the temperature dropped a few degrees. If I was sailing it would be time to put in a reef and watch for squalls. But now it's the sunniest it's been all day and an evening to tempt you into sitting outside. The weather this year has affected the plants - it's official, as per my post in the Gword thread. 

I have heard a few of the avian ERs unsynchronised choirs lately but they don't seem to last long. Not that I have a stopwatch on them... Some days it has been tempting to get up then and make a start on the day but with few opportunities to take a siesta I know if I do I will regret it later. 

Anyway, I'll leave it there, another day at the coalface looms. Best wishes to all those in need of them. 

Night.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evenin'

Yet another busy (Holi)day - at this rate I'll have to go back to work for a rest :yes:

Trouble is I'm not even close to completing planned jobs and I'm kn@ckered; must be getting old.

Although there was little in the way of direct sun today, the UV was still quite potent as the back of my neck/shoulders are telling me.

Must make the effort to get an earlier start tomorrow as I have some jobs to do which need not be noisy.

For the moment, best wishes to all, sleep well, stay safe and sane and keep out of trouble.

Bye for now. :)

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just spent an interesting couple of hours with a Zoom talk on the Gainsborough Model Railway, quite interesting. Temperature is still in the twenties and getting sticky with it.

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We went out today. Only 20 minutes from home and it did require rebooking. No visit to an RHS garden is complete without a visit to the garden shop and the car had 80 litres,of non peat growing medium, new shears, a pretty iris and some flexible plant ties. 
A view over Essex

4729D657-1A4B-4F83-93AF-FCBD604AFA32.jpeg.6b1705e043751aed3c615e5483d09abd.jpeg

The journey back was “interesting “. The sat nav suggested a route home somewhat different than th one we went by (and have used for years). Perhaps there was a traffic incident somewhere. Anyway we saw some pretty villages, went down roads just about wide enough for a Land Rover and Aditi noticed a restaurant she had seen recommended in magazines. 

Tony

At a guess I think the satnav would have sent you via Woodham Ferrers or failing that possibly South Hanningfield?

• Like 13

Another variant as John (CB) rightly says. When will this madness ever stop just when you think we are on the up curve. 

I certainly believe this summer's Olympics should be cancelled again i know according to media outlets many Japanese people want it cancelled too.

When i went to Harlow Carr i followed the brown signs from the A1 what a mistake it takes you round towards Pannell and then in to the town centre. Instead of going in to the town centre following the road that goes past the Yorkshire show ground.

Feeling a little cooler tonight and less muggy. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

At a guess I think the satnav would have sent you via Woodham Ferrers or failing that possibly South Hanningfield?

East Hanningfield and Sandon. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That is the long way round.

Certainly was. However it may have been a cunning plan to divert as the delay shown in Benfleet when we left the RHS gardens had gone by the time we got nearer home. I think some of the shorter routes were affected by diversions. The sat nav will know about those as it gets live  internet updates assuming the car is in an area where 3 or 4G signals exist. As we haven’t been anywhere for a while it was quite nice to be led on a mystery tour. 

• Like 14