The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The sun has broken through the cloud here in North Somerset and the temperature is heading towards 20C. 

I've been on bindweed duty (removal) because the stuff has suddenly appeared. I'm sure it grows at a foot a minute when my back is turned. 

I managed to cut both front and back grass before the rain arrived yesterday afternoon. There is another dollop (technical term) visible moving north towards the French coast, but it might just miss us and go more over Hampshire, Wiltshire and Sussex. 

Our 4am blackbird serenade usually wakes me up. It is so regular that I could set my clock by it, but fortunately only lasts about 10 minutes after which the bird seems to fly off in search of earthworms and relative quiet is restored. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

A functional, direct connection between the phone and the Arduino continues to allude Puppers but he will not be beaten!

And he wasn't! :yahoo:

I hope such graphically, explicit model railway content does not breech any ER rules of etiquette!  :nono:

But it works all for about £30 of hardware and lots of free software :imsohappy:

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 4

Andrew,

Here are some demos of the HIWATT Custom Little D Amp & Cab. Sadly, the second bloke doing a great cover of Shine On is NOT me :cry:

And don't be fooled by the 20W/0.5W settings - even at 0.5W I can blast out the neighbours....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave47549 said:

Plainsong, however. Now you're talking! :

Aren't you supposed to do the tuning up before the audience arrives??

And one of those guys must've been in a punch-up the day before - and came off the worse for it judging by those shiners....

Too late.....gone.....

• Like 13

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Andrew,

Here are some demos of the HIWATT Custom Little D Amp & Cab. Sadly, the second bloke doing a great cover of Shine On is NOT me :cry:

And don't be fooled by the 20W/0.5W settings - even at 0.5W I can blast out the neighbours....

Awesome, AWESOME, AWESOME AWESOME.:D

I want one.:nono::P:good::dancer::o:swoon:

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Awesome, AWESOME, AWESOME AWESOME.:D

I want one.:nono::P:good::dancer::o:swoon:

I wanted one too.

HIWATT in the UK no longer stocked the HIWATT Custom Little D Amp & Cab (and wanted A LOT just for the new generation Little rig head [no cab] at about £1700). They suggested that I contact the Swiss importer to see if they had any. I wrote to the Swiss importer and Yes, they had one in stock and Yes they could do me a great package price (a fraction under £940 for head and WEM cab including VAT and delivery). Sadly, I had to sell a few guitars to raise the funds (Mrs iD was most adament), but I am glad that I did. The amp really is awesome.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon all

Fairly fruitful day today so far. Did all my neck exercises and my 4K brisk walk before it got too hot. finally got some sense out of the law firm handling a personal injury claim, lunch on the patio, then I raked the lawn. Since I'm not an Englishman that suggests I'm a mad dog . According to the BBC forecast, it's going to remain fine and sunny until the middle of June so check the umbrella!

The hot weather is making it hard for my fridge to refrigerate, It's up to 8 C but I thinj that's because it gets so full after my weekly shop.

Looks like any chance of getting to the CF de la Baie de Somme's  Féte de la Vapeur the first weekend of July is kyboshed. We're not supposed to go there for non-essential reasons because France is amber and they won't let us in anyway thanks to the delta variant here. Thankyou Boris for not responding to the situation in India for three weeks. As Enstein never actually said "Madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome" (The actual quote seems to be "From the standpoint of the psychology of personal constructs we may define a disorder as any personal construction which is used repeatedly in spite of consistent invalidation." This was in  The 1955 book "The Psychology of Personal Constructs” by George A. Kelly ) 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Afternoon all 

The Cliff Richard Organization sounds like some form of mafia type thing.

Misheard lyrics Peter Kay did a good sketch of that on one of his shows.

Weird Al Yankovitch his parody of Coolio s Gangsters Paradise Amish Paradise i have shared on this thread before.

I remember Terry Wogan playing occasionally a recording of Elvis lonesome tonight he sings "looking in the mirror at your bald head wishing you had hair.  He cracks up laughing but the backing singers carry on. 

• Like 16

13 hours ago, BR60103 said:

The rule in computing used to be: Take your estimate; double the number and increase the units to the next higher. A job that should take 2 days will be 4 weeks.

With higher exponents for government work?

For a filming day,  the rule was to double the longest time it could possibly sensibly take then add a fairly large time constant we knew as C.B.A.T. (Compulsory B****ring  Around Time)  If "talent" was involved both factors increased considerably. 

The one thing as director you quickly learnt to never ever ever do was to use the W word unless you were absolutely, totally, definitely certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that you really had finished the job.

For preparing an unmentionable for an event whose nature must never be uttered on ER, similar factors apply.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

@polybear Frances Tusa spouts some carp. Uk PlC cut up New Nimrod to later buy a 737 with the same electronics fit.

As for Ajax it was always going to fail. An Austro Spanish vehicle which is far too heavily and has always had serious problems. Problem was the bean counters in BAE gave the job to Marconi for their bid.. but we kicked them off CR2 as they were carp...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the author of the bookazine bothered to talk to Alistair Wright? I spoke to him earlier this year. Wotked for NBL ( starting as an engineering apprentice)....

Baz

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well that was trickier than I expected it to be! Although, to be fair, I knew it wasn’t a straight forward job, given the amount of pipework there was in that particular corner, not to mention the light switch the 3 sockets. The only part I haven’t done yet, is the other side of the inner door, as I need to cut into a fresh sheet, but as this bit is only 8 inches wide, I’ll wait until I’ve some off cuts and use them for this bit. Anyway, it’s done now and looking a lot better for it too. 

The next wall to tackle is only a short on, but it links the wall I’ve just done to the wall next to the outside door. I still have 2 full sheets of plasterboard, which is enough to do that wall, both sides of the chimney breast and the small section next to the inner door. So when that’s done, it’ll leave just one wall and the chimney breast to do, but I’ll need 4 more sheets of plasterboard for that, which is less than I’d initially expected. I’m assuming that’s down to me using up all the offcuts up efficiently. 

Once id packed up for the day, I spent an hour or so doing some eyelid inspection. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Sadly, I had to sell a few guitars to raise the funds (Mrs iD was most adament)........

So Captain Cynical isn't quite the fearless supervillain he'd have us all believe then.......

:rofl:

58 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I see accommodation perfectly suitable for our troops , is not good enough for illegal immigrants...

Bear's thoughts echo TheQ's.

I daresay the accomodation being whinged about is far preferable to a Syrian warzone.  And I wonder if any arrests for arson were made after they torched the place a while back?

Is that a Rant?

• Like 8
  • Agree 8

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

In regards to modern musical parodies, arguably the king of ‘em all is Weird Al Yankovitch (two of my favourites of his are Fat [a take off of Michael Jackson’s Bad] and Eat It [a take off of Michael Jackson’s Beat It]). And they are very cleverly done as well, pretty much copying all of the original MTV Video, but with a Weird Al twist.

In the US (before Weird Al), there was a nationally syndicated, weekly radio show called "Dr. Demento" named for the persona of the host who played novelty and parody music.  Originally he played songs by people like Tom Lehrer and Stan Freberg. I remember him being on KLSX (then playing "classic rock" hence the klassix call letters) in the late 1980s.

It was Dr. Demento that catapulted Weird Al to fame when:

... in 1976, Hansen spoke at Yankovic's school where Yankovic gave a self-recorded tape of comedy songs and parodies to Hansen*. ... Hansen then funded Yankovic's first EP, Another One Rides the Bus**, which eventually led to a record deal and pop chart success in the 1980s and beyond. 

* Barry Hansen whose alter ego was Dr. Demento.

** A parody of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" without the 80's video treatments of "Eat It" and "Like a Surgeon".

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3