The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

At a rest area on I-95 northbound near Jacksonville, FL:

1346499447_0002Floridapoisonoussnakessign-04posted26jul17.jpg.3050a8edb25351a76ba35629a56a82c6.jpgi think the Australian version should have the words " poisonous snakes "replaced with the word "Everything."..

Mooring Awl inner Temple Hare, 

Six hours reasonable sleep so far, No chance of more..

Ben the snoring Collie, opened his eyes when I arrived, but then closed them again.

We've had it confirmed SWMBOs brother and wife will arrive Saturday, so building works this weekend seem unlikely.

As for problems with the site, the most common is it getting stuck when loading a post, it happens here at home or work on Android or PC. Same with loosing a current part typed post, or an old several days ago post needed clearing from the editor.

Years  ago grass snakes I saw, quite often, in Wiltshire on the edge of Salisbury plain but never any real snakes. Here in Norfolk in the soggy Broads area, I've never seen a grass snake, but have seen other snakes, mostly near or actually in the rivers...

While researching something on boats I came across the boat pictured below.

The GOS 16 keelboat. A Spanish design, so quite why its name is measure in feet, not metres I have no idea.

The GOS 16 is 4.95M LOA, 1.02M beam, 0.93M draft displacement 275Kg +2 crew say 475 Kg

Blue Moon is 4.87M LOA, 1.2M beam, 0.965M Draft.displacement 400Kg + 1 crew say 500Kg, If BM was still for two crew I'd have had to reduce the ballast by the required amount.

Both have a near vertical bow, both have a retrousee stern.
I designed Blue Moon in 1996, the GOS 16 date is 2004...
I think BM has about twice the sail area, but she'll need that to sail on tree lined Broads.

Very similar.

Time to.. lie back and relax till I have to get up in 10 minutes..

Ah did some research, it's probably 16 ish Spanish PIE . Spain went metric in 1852, so they've got long memories. Prior to that every small area or town had its own measurement sizes but using the same names, hence their enthusiasm for early standard metrification.

4.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning All,

AWOL for a bit as the Vet and I are trying to find the cause of the atypical and intermittent chest pain I’ve been having. I’ve already had a lung function test, blood work and a chest x-ray (all done at the GP’s office on Wednesday) I’m booked for a stress test for next Wednesday (a great day: first the dentist and then the cardiologist - what fun) then I’m back to the “Boy Doctor” for an ultrasound of the gall bladder (not the usual thing, but the chest pain is weird and very atypical), followed by a review of the test results. I’m fairly sanguine about the outcome: it will be what it will be, best find out now and deal with it...

Speaking of dealing with things, I see that Mr P Bear is not handling the loss of his supply of cheap Co-Op LDC terribly well. I have little sympathy: firstly, a cake that cheap is likely to be mostly synthetic with artificial flavouring and palm oil instead of butter in the ingredients - so no gastronomic loss there; secondly, having shown his skill and prowess in installing a new kitchen, making a homemade LDC should be child’s play (cub’s play?) in comparison.

After a bit of a hiatus, I’ll be back baking this weekend - a rhubarb crumble cake is on the cards.

Interesting the posts about snakes, I find them fascinating and often beautiful animals. One of the elective courses I took at university was herpetology (the study of reptiles) and I learnt a lot about them. Strangely enough, although I have no problems in handling (non-venomous) snakes - having handled both grass snakes and a (well fed) boa constrictor - I can’t bring myself to handle either frogs or toads - slimly little bu99ers (and some S American frogs are very toxic indeed).

When I was in Australia, I learnt something very interesting about venomous snakes: firstly many species have very short fangs, which means a thick leather boot will protect you from being bitten, secondly, and more surprisingly, frequently when a venomous snake bites you to protect itself it will not inject venom. The reason being the production of venom costs the snake energy, energy that must be reclaimed by eating the prey that the snake’s venom was used to kill. A very large animal (including humans) could not be eaten by the snake and therefore injecting the venom into a large animal would be a significant loss of valuable energy reserves possibly making the difference, in such a hostile environment, between life and death for the snake. However, I certainly wouldn’t abandon good “protection-from-snake-bite” practices, no matter how “too big to be eaten” I may be to snakes.

A final thought about snakes: just like many species of wild animals that are potentially very dangerous, if not habituated to humans (like those poor bears fed by stupid tourists), they will tend to avoid you as much as possible.  So creeping through the undergrowth silently is not a terribly good survival strategy (for the most part, I’m sure the intrepid jungle explorers amongst us can come up with exceptions).

Mrs iD is currently KO from the aftermath of her second Moderna vaccine jab, (nothing terribly consequential, just a headache and fatigue) so I am now off to take the dogs for their walk and drop the car off for a quick service. I may be some time...

Enjoy POETS day

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I got to 23seconds of @monkeysarefun video and had to give up. I get a similar feeling watching those free climbers up tower cranes with no ropes 

The following video was shown on a TV programme last night, after the ten o'clock news and on one of those scary video programmes; how on earth the guy managed to hang on I'll never know:

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

On one occasion his boss decided to observe and froze a couple of hundred feet up. My brother roped him firmly to the mast, carried on , remounted the aerial and returned to liberate his boss. 

An ideal moment to ask for a pay rise me thinks.....

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

This was in the days when your dad would chase them around trying to hit them with a shovel, now we are more enlightened and as a bonus snake bites have gone down, mainly due to blokes no longer chasing them around  trying to hit them with a shovel and getting bitten in the process. 

Bear's persuader of choice would be flame-thrower, though perhaps not indoors.

1 hour ago, chrisf said:

The problems caused by the additional security which on-line purchases such as this are now deemed to merit took no fewer than four member of the credit card company’s customer service team to overcome and goodness knows how many hours.  At least peace has now broken out between my credit card and the Festival webshite, but for how long?

Bear can recommend Halifax Clarity credit cards - they are particularly useful abroad as they have no ATM fees and a pretty much perfect exchange rate, unlike many other CC's.  They come highly recommended (and for some years) by MSE.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Speaking of dealing with things, I see that Mr P Bear is not handling the loss of his supply of cheap Co-Op LDC terribly well. I have little sympathy: firstly, a cake that cheap is likely to be mostly synthetic with artificial flavouring and palm oil instead of butter in the ingredients - so no gastronomic loss there;

Bear bears (see what I did there?) grudges better than anyone else I know.  And on the subject of home-made LDC, Sqdn. Ldr. Hunt has kindly provided a certain Bear with a recipe for LDC just a soon as Bear has a functioning kitchen once more.  Insofar as artificial cr@p in foods, Bear caught the tail-end of a TV programme last night whereby the reporter spent 28 days living off a diet of junk food (actually referred to as "ultra processed foods").  The results were such that Bear decided to Google UPF's this morning, to see what should be avoided.  Well, good luck adopting that policy, cos' it seems that the vast majority of what we eat now falls into that category, so unless you live life eating certified organic lettuce you've got no chance.

And on the subject of Kitchens, there is a danger that Bear *may* have a working oven later today (TBC) or tomorrow; work has started on the first of two base unit corner trims (one of which is next to the oven housing, so has to be completed and secured before the oven is fitted) and is so far proving to be a little easier (though still time-consuming) than Bear had feared.  Today's plan is to get both CT's done, followed by adding a worktop support at the rear of the oven unit that I'd overlooked.  Then I need to refit the corner unit blanking panels....and add some extra fixings between adjacent units in both corners of the "U" layout, and......

After reading that it looks like the oven will be tomorrow after all.....

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I think if I were in your shoes Lurker I would have run a mile i hate the sight of snakes (Or lizard in this case) they make me feel sick. I saw a Mojave green snake shot on tv the other night it was justified due to imminent danger to human life. It's jaws kept opening to strike in its death throes. Uuurgh

I realised I didn't have too much of a problem with snakes when I was around seven and we visited a snake temple in Penang. The place was literally crawling with defanged pit vipers (they were bright green). I was encouraged to hold a snake (which I was not keen on). 

My younger sister, on the other hand, was taken round the back of the temple to chuck up!

having quickly searched, it appears to still exist today. Here's a link (look away Simon)

http://www.penang.ws/penang-attractions/penang-snake-temple.htm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

14 hours ago, polybear said:

Having consulted the Waitrose website Bear's choice would be this one, based on appearance - being the wrong side of five quid means it'd stay on the shelf though (the Co-op LDC was three quid, occasionally 2-25 when on offer).

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/no1-lemon-lime-drizzle-cake/528559-497798-497799

Younger Lurker only gets the essential one (£2.16). He likes the drizzle and is not so fussed about icing!

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s not quite as sunny as yesterday’s, but it’s a little warmer, already 12C. Apart from visiting the butchers and the Trafford Centre, I’m not planning on doing very much today, a day of resting, reading and research I think. However, I do need to water the freshly planted camomile, but that won’t take long. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a pleasant morning here, getting a bit cloudier though. 
I have to go over to Canvey for a blood test. Nothing to do with my heart or IBD, diabetes checkup this time. During the three months since the last one I have lost weight, stopped eating certain items and been on medication. Hopefully this will be reflected in the result. I need to book an appointment for a diabetic review once I have had the blood test. 
Aditi has been making do with cafetière coffee since Wednesday but her new coffee machine is arriving this afternoon. Our grocery delivery is arriving at lunchtime too. Quite a lot of excitement for a Friday. 
Aditi’s brother and his family will be visiting MiL tomorrow. She doesn’t know yet as she would have insisted on making all kinds of special food and then have been too tired to enjoy the visit. We can’t go as it would make it three households but I am sure there will be photos or videos. MiL does know she is going to Sussex on Sunday to see her grandson and fiancée’s new house. I hope she doesn’t start her “advice” about dogs. She is a bit obsessed with their desire for a dog. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not much trouble from Arthur Itis at the moment but his sidekick Si Attica is determined to make up for it. In the meantime a stretch out on the bed might bring some relief.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

At a rest area on I-95 northbound near Jacksonville, FL:

1346499447_0002Floridapoisonoussnakessign-04posted26jul17.jpg.3050a8edb25351a76ba35629a56a82c6.jpg

It is usually said that snakes are only poisonous if they are not prepared and cooked properly before being eaten.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

(Late) mornin' all.

Late checking in due to the annoyance that is work :).

Quite pleasant weatherwise here in South Derbyshire today.

But, one of the advantages of WFH is that I can do other things as well.......

Time to hang out laundry - cue rain, despite what the forecast says :yes:.

Later, I'm going to take a short cycle ride to meet a friend for coffee and cake - cue more rain.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

Sorry to read that il Dottore has had to visit the vets; hopefully explanations will be forthcoming in short order.

And now...some more work!

I think we will need to be worried if there are reports of Mrs ID suddenly  wanting to find and check life insurance policies.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

One for Coombe Barton I suspect.. Lies dam lies and statistics.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/business/deprivation-mapped-for-every-area-of-norfolk-8004836

Areas of deprivation, for example Wroxham and Hoveton, Wroxham Light Blue, Hoveton  light red.

The difference ? Wroxham  is THE place to buy a home, Hoveton across the river isn't .

Is Hoveton Deprived? no, Is it low income yes..

Both Hoveton and Wroxham are almost 100% occupier own properties with Hoveton having a higher percentage of retirees therefore less income .. If you look to the right around Ludham very similar, mostly retirees, with a few poorly paid farm worker / tourism workers..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2