The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

49 minutes ago, PupCam said:

But they still got your money, so Steve won.   He doesn't care what you pick off of the shelf just so long as it's his shelf.  

To make the protest stick you've got to pick it off of someone else's  shelf unfortunately.    Knowing that Bear formerly had a contract for industrial quantities of LDC a loss of such a contract could severely impact the Co Op's  annual profits.

Sounds like the Hornby tier s thread:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The final pile of washing (sheets and towels) is in the machine and churning away. I couldn't find the tool to undo the fluff trap on the machine so the trap remained uncleared. Needless to say as soon as the machine was on the go I opened a drawer and there was the tool in front of me :banghead:. Not to worry, it won't stop the machine working, if it blocks it just bypasses. Tea has brewed, be back later.

• Like 16

I think if I were in your shoes Lurker I would have run a mile i hate the sight of snakes (Or lizard in this case) they make me feel sick. I saw a Mojave green snake shot on tv the other night it was justified due to imminent danger to human life. It's jaws kept opening to strike in its death throes. Uuurgh

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Another day and just two days left before holiday!

Heading out to Lancaster area for a week over the half term.  Visiting Morcambe and Blackpool as I've never been to either place but it's about getting away rather than the same old place.

I do hope others are able to steal some days away - the UK has some really beautiful places.

• Like 19

Seems the Rattlesnake was in a lot more imminent danger, senseless killing of animals for no proper reason shows the human race in a poor light, they can be be removed without resorting to shooting, there are teams in countries like India and I believe also in Australia, where the snakes are far more of a problem than in the USA.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium

Pah! Match cancelled due to waterlogged pitch..PAH!!!

I have had no slowind down issues with RMWeb, for some reason I have only had to clear the editor once in yonks..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

38 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Heading out to Lancaster area for a week over the half term.  Visiting Morcambe and Blackpool as I've never been to either place but it's about getting away rather than the same old place.

I do hope others are able to steal some days away - the UK has some really beautiful places.

Going to Morcambe is that wise ?

I haven't been for years the last time we went there was a punk convention in town there were some extreme hairstyles on show it was great to me and my brother as young lads.

On a serious note the UK has some stunning places to visit be it cities coastal or countryside. The only trouble is i always feel that because of the seasonal nature of the business you get ripped off to a certain extent having to pay for the closed season. Or you try somewhere like center parcs pay through the nose to get in then have to pay for activities. 

Then there is our wonderful unpredictable weather

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think as the woman ages throughout the advert we are supposed believe that Aviva support clients throughout life. However when I first saw it (without paying much attention) I thought it was an ad for car breakdown services. One advert at the moment I find irritating is the use of Albert Einstein’s image to promote Smartmeters. 

Oh ok. I thought the old woman must be her mother. 

The ad makes even less sense to me now. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

This snake shooting was in the Superstition mountains in Arizona miles from anywhere and it very nearly bit a guy hence it was shot

Yes, of course. How dare a wild creature defend its home area against beings 100+ times its size? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

If you get chance walk along thevold railway line from Morecambe into Lancaster and try and spot the old concrete mast bases from the 1907 electrification.  It's a nice walk and ends up alongside the estuary.  

As to Snakes we have vipers, which are venomous and whip snakes which can get up to 4 or 5 feet long but are harmless. They and the owls keep the mice down. We've found two discarded skins over the padt couplevof years. Both in the same place. We have seen both types. I did once see an adder in the sidevof a cutting at Longmoor in 1968.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I saw a Mojave green snake shot on tv the other night it was justified due to imminent danger to human life. It's jaws kept opening to strike in its death throes. Uuurgh

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Seems the Rattlesnake was in a lot more imminent danger, senseless killing of animals for no proper reason shows the human race in a poor light, they can be be removed without resorting to shooting, there are teams in countries like India and I believe also in Australia, where the snakes are far more of a problem than in the USA.

58 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

This snake shooting was in the Superstition mountains in Arizona miles from anywhere and it very nearly bit a guy hence it was shot.

Most people who go (prepared) into snake country wear 'snake-proof' boots. A friend of long ago would ride motorcycles in the Mojave desert. He had a story of a juvenile rattlesnake (with all their venom) striking the side of his boot over and over again.

Another friend who is a regular hunter (including remote parts of Arizona) is of the very prepared type. In addition to proper boots he carries a sidearm (which may or may not be strictly legal) for the purpose of not getting bitten. Ideally of course the best way to not get bitten is to pay attention to where you step and avoid snakes but natural camouflage is a very effective thing.

Snakes in the suburbs are a different thing. My dad was alarmed* to discover a large snake coiled on top of his beer fridge in the garage under the house. It was not a venomous snake but he didn't stick around to identify it. It was safely removed by a professional.

* Euphemism alert

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

We only have a small waitrose express around the corner from us but they do two different versions of LDC so Bear would be spoiled for choice.

Having consulted the Waitrose website Bear's choice would be this one, based on appearance - being the wrong side of five quid means it'd stay on the shelf though (the Co-op LDC was three quid, occasionally 2-25 when on offer).

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/no1-lemon-lime-drizzle-cake/528559-497798-497799

Now this one has real possibilities as a birthday cake:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/birthday-and-party-cakes/sainsburys-loaded-lemon-drizzle-cake-863g

In other news:

Bear was watching today's episode of "The Chase"; one of the contestants is an Analyst in the drugs industry - she was asked what the most expensive drug is.  Apparently it's Gene Therapy - at a million quid a dose.... :O

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

41 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Going to Morcambe is that wise ?

I haven't been for years the last time we went there was a punk convention in town there were some extreme hairstyles on show it was great to me and my brother as young lads.

On a serious note the UK has some stunning places to visit be it cities coastal or countryside. The only trouble is i always feel that because of the seasonal nature of the business you get ripped off to a certain extent having to pay for the closed season. Or you try somewhere like center parcs pay through the nose to get in then have to pay for activities. 

Then there is our wonderful unpredictable weather

I've only been to Morecambe once whilst driving a bus on the erstwhile X4 Colne to Grange over Sands service. It should've been twice, but the bus broke down somewhere near Arnside on the way back. After alternative transport was arranged for passengers I waited with the bus until the repair man turned up, repairs weren't possible so bus was abandoned and I had a ride back home with him. That turned out to be a very long day indeed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Last time we went to Blackpool we stayed in a Travelodge opposite the football ground. We bought passes for the trams from a newsagent we went up to Fleetwood i had never been before. The following day we spent in Blackpool and had chip  supper in lytham st annes 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Click n collect groceries tucked away safely - in as much as I know where everything is. Now, for the past 5 weeks, our 2 sliced loaves of fresh multigrain bread had come in the “sliced bread” wrapper all nicely labelled, only it had not been sliced! Today, we did get sliced bread but it was not fresh bread but Tesco wrapped bread & seeded at that!

Grains is grains. :good:

Seeds is seeds! :nono:

Good news on the M front. I finally plucked up the courage (there is hope for all of us!) to start removing late ‘60s motifs off the VW bus full of The Prisoner fans. Nothing more than gently rubbing with a fine sanding bar. It is going to take awhile but  the process does seem rather therapeutic.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

When i worked for a bank we had one of those screens that shot up if triggered in a robbery. One day someone (Not me luckily) set it off just after closing when we were balancing the tills. They were on relief from another branch they pulled all the notes out and swoosh  up goes the screen frantic calls made to alarm company. I nearly had a heart attack as I was attacked by a swarm of angry pin badges that were on sale for charity 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

Last time I went to Blackpool the ex L&Y tanks were still on stationary boiler duty at Blackpool Central - they've gone of course (and so has Blackpool Central).   Morecambe is a bit tamer than Blackpool and used to give the appa earance oioif trying hard to keep with its neighbour to the south but not making it.  But it does have that marvellous hotel to look at.

As for tv ads the daftest one in my book is one for, I thnk, Alexa where some bloke in modern garb is standing in a town with a volcano erupting nearby and a passing local tells him that it is AD 79.  How did somebody living in that year know it would later be titled AD 79 over 200 years before the Roman empire adopted Christianity?

Oh and apologies to our ursine member but there is no LDC on the menu - it ain't that sort of joint (but they do have builders' tea creme brulee).

No problems lo getting ont RMweb but some forums do havea habit of occasionally opening rather slowly but a few minutes later they are back to full speed.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Snakes being native wildlife are protected here, the bad old days of hitting them with a shovel are long gone, now you call a snake removal person who comes and takes it away in a bag and rehomes it in the bush somewhere.

The most common snake in the suburbs here is the Eastern Brown, which makes number 2 on most worlds most venomous snakes lists. I've had 3 or 4 in my backyard over the years, they have anger management issues and will go you if you try to poke it with a stick or something, I just leave them alone and they usually move on somewhere else pretty quick but if it got into my house I'd probably call someone.

In contrast, the Red Belly Black, the other usual snake around here is less venomous and also pretty placid in comparison. I had one living in my aviary for a few weeks. I was happy with that since it kept the mice down, I'd just check where it was before walking around in there.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5

Evening All,

We have a small wood next door, it’s only about 75m by 75m but it’s recently been opened up to the public with a path that leads into its centre. There is a sign at the entrance saying beware of the poisonous snakes! 
Ive never seen a snake of any description in Barnsley but I spoke to a bloke a know and he said he was bitten by adder is the village a couple of years ago. Perhaps I aught to be a bit more careful when out in the garden! 
An early night due to the incident this morning so I’ll bid you all goodnight,

Robert

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3